Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 08:12 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,060,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Every 10 years or so National Geographic comes out with their regular Peak Oil special issue. The World in Crisis.
I remember when the National Geographic had Cadillac advertisements, and articles about exotic locations with bare-breasted native women. I believe a life membership was about $1000. Now it's all gloom & doom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2021, 11:50 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,284,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

It is the reason the National Forest system was established in the US.
Well, there's no "National Forest system". If you mean National Park Service, NPS was not established because people could burn more wood. It was for conservation. At the time we had coal, gas and oil. Wood as an energy supply had been replaced decades if not centuries before.

Old 11-27-2021, 01:07 PM

87 posts, read 43,698 times
Shale oil went bankrupt because of oversupply.

Old 11-27-2021, 03:49 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePunch2017 View Post
Shale oil went bankrupt because of oversupply.
And because people were drilling wells that would not be economic with $200 oil.

Old 11-27-2021, 06:52 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Well, there's no "National Forest system". If you mean National Park Service, NPS was not established because people could burn more wood. It was for conservation. At the time we had coal, gas and oil. Wood as an energy supply had been replaced decades if not centuries before.
Let me introduce you to the National Forests of the United States of America!!!

https://www.fs.usda.gov/

All 188 MILLION ACRES. They belong to you and all the other citizens of the United States.

There is even a National Forest in your home state of Pennsylvania!! Imagine that!! I take it you don't get out outdoors much, but you should for your personal health. BTW...the National Forest System is almost seven times the size of the state of Pennsylvania. How did you NOT know they exist??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Wood is a very important source of energy for the developing world.

How much of the world's energy supply comes from wood? In global terms, woodfuels represent about 7 percent of the world's total primary energy consumption. Most woodfuel use (76 percent) is in developing countries, where about 77 percent of the world's population lives.

That is a good thing, way back in the 70's wood WAS THE PRIMARY energy source for developing countries.

Even with my carbon-free electricity and solar second home...I burn two cords of wood every winter for heat.

Anyway, do take the time to learn about YOUR National Forests. They belong to you!! Their management is to benefit the American people. So you do need to learn about the National Forests, since they are much, much more than just trees.

The National Parks were America's fourth best idea, after the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Forest Service and BLM lands.

Oh, almost forgot. The National Parks were NOT established for conservation, but preservation. It was the Forest Service and BLM lands that were established for conservation.

I did work for all three agencies.

Old 11-29-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Marx spent a lot of words grappling with the idea of sustainable growth, although he didn't couch it in explicitly ecological terms.

Because inputs, and demand for output, are finite.

It's not as though we have to replace all fossil fuels absolutely; any amount of replacement helps, the more the better. Solar and wind are in their relative infancy and may grow more efficient, plus there's options like hydro, geothermal, nuclear etc.
Wind is 11th century technology. Solar made its "societal" appearance in the 1936 World's Fair.

Hydro also has significant issues. I live on the Columbia River.

Geothermal...well, I put up a timber sale outside of Middletown, California and THAT geothermal site in the early 1970's. It was one ridge over from my timber sale....looked awful. Almost as bad as the Industrial Wind Areas, but thankfully geothermal does generate more power than wind.

So that leaves nuclear.....outside my expertise area. But I do like the possibilities.

Old 11-30-2021, 01:39 PM

2,612 posts, read 930,861 times
Quote:
Let me introduce you to the National Forests of the United States of America!!!

https://www.fs.usda.gov/

All 188 MILLION ACRES. They belong to you and all the other citizens of the United States.

Anyway, do take the time to learn about YOUR National Forests. They belong to you!! Their management is to benefit the American people.
Nice! Can I sell them? When I rent them out? Do I have the right to live within them or cut the trees down freely for my own use?

Old 11-30-2021, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
Nice! Can I sell them? When I rent them out? Do I have the right to live within them or cut the trees down freely for my own use?
NOPE you can't sell them...they are protected for the American people for their benefit.

Yes, you can rent them out for various business projects.

BUT you have to meet the needs of the American people AND you have to pay "fair market value". AND there must NOT be alternatives on private land for your business, you need to go there first. Unless you are one of those businesses like cellular companies, ski resorts, etc. that have negotiated special rates with Congress. Yes, "we do have the best government money can buy" and much of Congress has been bought.

NOPE, you cannot live on them. Well, you can for 14 days or so and then you have to move on BLM lands. Some National Forest lands will let you stay for 21 days.

Nope, you cannot cut down trees freely for your own use. IF you cut a Christmas Tree you need a permit from the Forest Service. It goes up from there.

If you want to use the National Forests for private gain, you need to convince the Forest Service that it is in the public interest, AND you need to share that revenue with the American people.

Oil and gas companies pay royalties to the Federal government. It is the SECOND largest source of revenue for the Federal government after revenue generated by the Internal Revenue Service.

Does this help?

Last edited by 509; 11-30-2021 at 05:59 PM..

Old 11-30-2021, 06:08 PM

2,612 posts, read 930,861 times
Quote:
NOPE you can't sell them...they are protected for the American people for their benefit.
I find it shocking that you actually believe that the government owning land equals us owning the land and that there is actually any benefit at all to Americans for this relationship. We do not own the "public" land and we do not benefit from it. People feeling some form of self ownership of government assets is a major problem with nations.

Old 11-30-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
I find it shocking that you actually believe that the government owning land equals us owning the land and that there is actually any benefit at all to Americans for this relationship. We do not own the "public" land and we do not benefit from it. People feeling some form of self ownership of government assets is a major problem with nations.
Well, that is where you and I part company.

YES, you OWN public land and YES you benefit from it. All the way from revenues back to the Federal Treasury to protection of endangered species, to hunting and fishing, camping and exploring the public lands.

As a conservative, there is a role for government ownership of public lands. We OWE it to the other species that we share this planet with.

READ THIS BOOK
....written by a Forest Service employee in the 1940's.

https://www.aldoleopold.org/about/al...ounty-almanac/

Plenty of places to purchase the book. Used bookstores have many copies and even Amazon offers it for sale.

Or you can buy it here: https://www.aldoleopold.org/store/a-...ounty-almanac/

As I forester I took enough economics classes to get hired by the Federal government as a Economist. There is more to life than money. Economics is important, BUT the concept of conservation and wise use of OUR natural resources conflicts with the profit motive.

It is the quality of life that is important. And for me that is a rational Federal government policy when it comes to economics AND acres and acres of public land where I can roam and appreciate God's work on this planet.

Last edited by 509; 11-30-2021 at 06:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics