Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 10:22 PM

1,603 posts, read 868,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Just because you see a nice late model vehicle "in da hood" does not mean the driver or passengers are from that area.

Did you ever think that maybe they were just passing through, going from point A to point B, and the direct path happens to pass through this neighborhood?

Maybe they were giving a co-worker (who lives in the neighborhood) a ride home or taking them to work.

And yes, a certain number of people who live "in da hood" buy nice cars because *gasp* they want a nice vehicle and they afford it.

Just because someone has a nice vehicle in a rundown area does not make mean they are engaged in criminal behavior, there are other possibilities like the few I listed.

Where do you think rich people buy their drugs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2021, 03:51 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,413,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohilus View Post
Yes, a P-51 Mustang could do 440 mph.

Do you not understand why putting an Allison V-1710 in a car so that it can do 400+ mph on the freeway might a) not even work, b) be bizarrely impractical, and c) be a very bad idea?

The point is to demonstrate the engineering capabilities 80 years ago and how ridiculous it is to keep redesigning consumer junk to look different every year.

Old 12-17-2021, 05:18 AM

24,649 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Those are the worst eye soars, branded cars with the huge ghetto rims, or ghetto taillights. I never understood why and how one could take a nice Chevy Tahoe for example and make it look like complete crap. Must be a status symbol to brand one’s car with ghetto fake chrome and hood vents within that community of people.
Taste and class is subjective, but yes, putting ugly huge rims or a crazy paint job/wrap on a vehicle is absurd. There's other ways to draw attention to yourself without ruining a perfectly fine car or blasting loud music.

Old 12-17-2021, 08:11 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,607,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
The point is to demonstrate the engineering capabilities 80 years ago and how ridiculous it is to keep redesigning consumer junk to look different every year.
Surely you're not trying to make the argument that the only change YOY cars in sheet metal?

Old 12-17-2021, 05:46 PM

1,438 posts, read 735,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Taste and class is subjective, but yes, putting ugly huge rims or a crazy paint job/wrap on a vehicle is absurd. There's other ways to draw attention to yourself without ruining a perfectly fine car or blasting loud music.
If you can afford a $250K Lamborghini you don't have to do anything to make it stick out as only 10% of the population can afford one, but if you can only afford a used 8 year old Honda Civic that looks like a million other used 8 year old Honda Civics the only way to make it stand out is to slowly transform it into a supped up street racing car.

Old 12-17-2021, 06:01 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,583,449 times
When a person can check one or more of these boxes: pays low rent, is on Section 8 housing program, or lives with their mother/grandmother/or another relative and aren't charged any rent at all, that person can afford to drive the car of their choice. There are used car lots throughout urban and rural areas who offer all types of cars and they "tote the note" by overcharging the price of the car and charging exorbitant interest rates.

Also remember, not all people care about living in a nice neighborhood, decent home/apt, or clean area. For them, having a car to be proud of trumps having housing or a neighborhood to be proud of.

Old 12-17-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Starbucks, home of the expensive lattes, are opening more stores in urban and poor neighborhoods.

KEY POINTS
Starbucks has a point to prove: There’s more to the company than selling $4 lattes to rich people.
The Seattle-based coffee giant said Thursday it is expanding its effort to put more coffee shops — and create more jobs — in poor neighborhoods.
The effort will bring to 100 the number of “community stores” Starbucks has opened since it announced the program in 2015.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/16/star...hborhoods.html
* wondering what this has to do with the topic of the thread.

Old 12-17-2021, 06:06 PM

130,460 posts, read 12,124,678 times
It's none of my business what other people drive. If they have a nice car, I say, good for them. I'm not going around being judgmental about it.

Old 12-17-2021, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
It's none of my business what other people drive. If they have a nice car, I say, good for them. I'm not going around being judgmental about it.
I agree.

Old 12-17-2021, 06:48 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,489,236 times
Not rock science. Maybe 10 area people know about your house. But the vehicle you drive and your cloth are how you show yourself to hundreds of strangers daily. A nice car does more to aid you social standing than a nice house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics