Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 10:08 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,611,167 times

Advertisements

What is the point of this thread, to bash on poor people? Find something constructive to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2021, 08:31 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,092,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
In my less-monied years, I had a VW bug, a $3,000 Saturn, an old Datsun pickup and so forth. Not these guys. I see many full-size new pickups with full backseats, no dented vehicles, no obviously older cars.

What gives? How can these people with no jobs, living in the most run-down of areas, afford these new/newer cars? Is it all drug deals---all of them? Can a person with no job even get a car loan?
Poor people are so stupid. If they would just try and be smarter, they might not be so poor.

Watch this video of stupid poor people.

Feel better?

Old 12-18-2021, 08:41 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
My Dad was a school teacher and my Mom did not work. We were brought up in a blue collar neighborhood. Many in that neighborhood believed having an expensive car was a sign of success. I saw many a person driving a Cadillac or Lincoln that should have been driving a Chevy of Ford but it was their way of saying, I am doing doing well when many were not.

One of my friend from those days once said he would rather drive a used Cadillac versus a new Ford or Chevy.

Old 12-18-2021, 09:17 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Poor 'hood?

$400 car

$10,000 paint job

$2500 in wheels

$40 in tires

Battery...stolen

Hydraulics (sorry pneumatics)...stolen

License? what's that?

Insurance? See license, above.

Yup, that's the 'hood....
LOL. Pretty funny.

I am just genuinely curious, not judging. Like down here, everyone has a smart phone though average pay is only $400 a month. Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 12-18-2021, 01:24 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
LOL. Pretty funny.

I am just genuinely curious, not judging. Like down here, everyone has a smart phone though average pay is only $400 a month. Inquiring minds want to know!
...and smart phones can be had very cheaply these days...people have them in place of a laptop and are likely their only internet access. In case you haven't noticed, the internet is rapidly becoming about the only source of information these days. Oh, and you don't want poor people spending their money on tv's...right?

Old 12-18-2021, 01:38 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,611,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
...and smart phones can be had very cheaply these days...people have them in place of a laptop and are likely their only internet access. In case you haven't noticed, the internet is rapidly becoming about the only source of information these days. Oh, and you don't want poor people spending their money on tv's...right?
Poor people have tv's or smart phones or don't always drive a beater? Who the hell do they think they are?

Old 12-18-2021, 03:49 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,701,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Also remember, not all people care about living in a nice neighborhood, decent home/apt, or clean area. For them, having a car to be proud of trumps having housing or a neighborhood to be proud of.
Interesting, how lavish spending on one's car, as source of pride or status or social-standing of whatever sort, is panned as dubious and daft proposition. While doing the same to one's house, is regarded as being upstanding and wise. Why is that?

Old 12-18-2021, 04:04 PM

863 posts, read 865,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Interesting, how lavish spending on one's car, as source of pride or status or social-standing of whatever sort, is panned as dubious and daft proposition. While doing the same to one's house, is regarded as being upstanding and wise. Why is that?
The Three Little Pigs.

A car, no matter how nice, will turn into a rolling scrapheap within a decade while land will hold its value. Land has always been a measure of wealth throughout human history.

Old 12-18-2021, 04:09 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,701,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
The Three Little Pigs.

A car, no matter how nice, will turn into a rolling scrapheap within a decade while land will hold its value. Land has always been a measure of wealth throughout human history.
I expected that sort of response. But a car that I sold recently, fetched a substantially higher price, than that which I paid, over a decade ago. A house that I sold recently, unfortunately garnered a lower price, than what I paid some 20 years ago. Remind me again - which is the one made of straw, and which of bricks?

Old 12-18-2021, 06:36 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,512,019 times
Most of those folks are working.
There are some pretty interesting studies that show how the poor and working class use their money is a little different from middle class and upper class. With whatever discretionary income they have, they tend to spend it for living in the moment - giving to others more (percentage-wise), spending it on short-term enjoyment like a party, tickets for a show, a phone, an outfit, and yes, cars. They spend a lot less on things like education and savings/retirement/investment, but a bigger chunk of their pay goes toward housing and utilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics