Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 02:55 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times

Advertisements

This is not the case for me but it shows just another break down in our system. If someone is divorced their Ex can receive 50% of their SS and pension while the 1st person gets 100% of their benefits. This is what a divorce settlement is for. Why should an ex spouse receive anything after the divorce is final?

So for a husband, his ex, and his new wife(?) they would receive 200% of his benefits. Is that right? That seems insane. Just another bill for the American people to pay for.

Retirement Benefits

Benefits for a divorced spouse
Your divorced spouse can get benefits on your Social Security record if the marriage lasted at least 10 years. Your divorced spouse must be 62 or older and unmarried.

The amount of benefits he or she gets has no effect on the amount of benefits you or your current spouse can get.

Also, if you and your ex-spouse have been divorced for at least two years and you and your ex-spouse are at least 62, he or she can get benefits even if you are not retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 03:12 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times
If the ex spouse marries, I believe they get nothing.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:15 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,897,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I hope you're right. My ex-husband remarried not long after we divorced, yet all the time during the divorce he was saying,"Ten years! Ten years!" (We were married 12 years and he kept saying he'd get my social security benefits because we had been married at least ten years.)

I've got a ways to go before I retire - when I get there, I'll think about it seriously.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post

That's what it says but they should still get nothing!! Who's paying for this?

Old 02-08-2009, 03:19 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,897,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
That's what it says but they should still get nothing!! Who's paying for this?

We pay for it! We worked for it...yet if they don't get married, they get a portion of it. Make an appointment with the Social Security office - when I got divorced, my mother went with me and a lady sat down with us and tried to explain it to us.

I think as long as the ex-spouse gets married, they get half of their new spouse's SS benefits. But if they don't, they can still draw upon yours.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:49 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
This is old news.... its been around for a while... you know what is even stranger... if your wife cheats on you and has a baby with another person and doesn't tell you until the baby is one-year old and you divorce her after finding out... guess who has to pay child support... yup, the duped husband... Its called presumed paternity or something like that.... not only that you have to pay spousal support even if she cheated on you... having extramarital affairs seem to play no role in divorce proceedings... America is just plain weird...

Old 02-08-2009, 04:02 PM

45,427 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Retired pay from the military, too. In MD, also pension benefits.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:20 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,664,860 times
There's more to it than that. Getting half applies only if the divorced spouse isn't eligible to receive SS benefits based on his or her own work credits. They get half the ex-spouses benefits or their own, whichever is larger.
If they remarry and are still married when retired, then they can no longer collect on the first spounses SS. However, if they divorce the second spouse, they again become eligible to collect from the first spouse's SS. But again, only if it is larger than benefits they earn from their own work credits or what they would get from the second marriage.
SS looks at all the possible ways you can collect and lets you use the one that gives you the most income. But only one. You don't get spouses benefits in addition to your own.
(This came up on Suze Orman's show last night. That was her explanation.)
This is designed for stay-at-home partners who never worked outside the home or who put their own careers on hold to raise a family and then get dumped after years of marriage. Having one partner stay at home means the other one didn't have to pay for childcare, housework, cooking, etc. It's compensation for that. The same with splitting a pension. It's a marital asset.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:20 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,471,838 times
It's to protect stay at home moms who may not have a work history. If the ex-wife goes back to work they can usually make enough where their SS would be higher than the ex-spouse's half.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:21 PM

Like I said "broken" and so wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics