Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 08:47 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times

Advertisements

Will birthrates plummet with massive inflation?

1. Birth rates have been plummeting for decades, so how could you tell if inflation caused a decline?

2. Go back and see if you can correlate past birth rate fluctuations with periods of inflation and prosperity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 08:53 AM

2,871 posts, read 1,150,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
No …
People who can afford/pay for their own children, may run the numbers/reassess costs … people whose children are paid for with taxpayer dollars don’t care so they will continue to have lots of children.
Exactly. The responsible adults weigh the pros and cons of the matter, while the knuckle draggin' galoots (Not Driver47, ha!) keep reproducing like rabbits and their feral young run amok.
Idiocracy wasn't so far off, was it?
Now, those that are young and screaming that the sky is falling, what with the climate crisis and all, should consider taking one for the team, so to speak, and take a hard pass on bringing more energy consumers into the mix. They won't, of course.
I think Covid and the current economic disaster that we're seeing now may put a slight dent in the statistics of birthrates in this country, but globally, no.

Old 07-21-2022, 09:24 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
Persistent inflation would likely be a reason to have children as opposed to not having children. Not a good reason, but at our current rates, we're looking at doubling the cost of everything within a decade. It may become increasingly difficult to save enough to actually retire.

Old 07-21-2022, 09:28 AM

230 posts, read 230,536 times
It won't matter if infertility in both men and women continues to drop the way it has been the last 50 years.

Old 07-21-2022, 09:38 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I suspect that the cost of raising children rarely figures into the equation. That's not what the decision is based on and I also suspect that quite often having a child isn't a decision at all, it is just something that isn't planned.

Old 07-21-2022, 09:39 AM

2,871 posts, read 1,150,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suspect that the cost of raising children rarely figures into the equation. That's not what the decision is based on and I also suspect that quite often having a child isn't a decision at all, it is just something that isn't planned.
Respectfully, herein lies the problem.

Old 07-21-2022, 09:52 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
The future of humanity lays at the feet of every child born. Herein lies the problem for generations to come.

Old 07-21-2022, 11:06 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,057,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL. I'll agree that the dog and cat population has gotten completely out of hand. I am all for reducing that population.

Dog population has exploded in my town, as they are cheaper and easier than children.

Old 07-21-2022, 11:47 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
Mine wasn't planned. But I thank the heavens every day for him.

Old 07-21-2022, 11:51 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Dog population has exploded in my town, as they are cheaper and easier than children.
My kid is grown. He doesn't cost me a penny. Dogs cost their entire lifetime. No thanks. Dogs are simply too much of an interruption in my life. Not worth the hassle. Never mind the vet bills!! And never mind the dog crap and damage to my yard.

"Easier" is simply a matter of opinion. I like dogs, and enjoy playing with them. I also like pools and swimming in them. But unless a pool comes with a pool boy, no thanks. I feel the same way about dogs. Far too much work, and simply not worth it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics