Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 01:25 PM

393 posts, read 409,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We feel poor, because we are poorer. The cost of everything is rising, so we are forced to cut expenses of things we can control, because the things we can’t control, like insurance, taxes, rents, are going up.

As retired people, we are used to looking for ways to cut back every year, but I do not know how families with kids, or young people just starting out are making it.

When I first got married, mothers stayed home, a big new house cost $34k, and an annual income of $12k was enough to be comfortable. I know everything is relative, but something is seriously out of proportion these days.
Agreed. I feel poor, because I am poor. I work, but my wages as a teacher Can't keep up with the prices, it's insane. Everything at the grocery store is $5 now. My wife and I shop and I can't believe how much everything is. Electricity is out of control. Why is it that we must keep our thermostat at 60 in the winter and 78 during the summer. How do people afford 2 homes. Vacations are camping, going out to eat is a sports bar with burgers. Insurance rates go up faster than my pay. Unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2023, 01:54 PM

1,108 posts, read 528,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
In 5 years, you'd never been given a raise?

back in 72 20 bucks raises was suppose to make me happy - yea i started at 600 month and left when i was 25 and making 1200 a month.

Old 02-01-2023, 04:25 PM

1,203 posts, read 667,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We feel poor, because we are poorer. The cost of everything is rising, so we are forced to cut expenses of things we can control, because the things we can’t control, like insurance, taxes, rents, are going up.

As retired people, we are used to looking for ways to cut back every year, but I do not know how families with kids, or young people just starting out are making it.

When I first got married, mothers stayed home, a big new house cost $34k, and an annual income of $12k was enough to be comfortable. I know everything is relative, but something is seriously out of proportion these days.
The country as a whole is not poorer today than it was 30 years ago, 50 years ago, 80 years ago. You might be. Certain areas might be. But not overall.

How many cars do families own today? How big is the average house? How new are your appliances? How many TV's do you have? How many cell phones / computers per household? What's the average inflation adjusted income? Most people actually have dental care done. The medical service you get today is incomparable to what the average person received 50 years ago.

Old 02-01-2023, 05:39 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Not arguing that $100k isn't enough to live on but I will say that 100K doesn't go very far these days. Especially if you live in a major city like Dallas.
Unless you have a kid or 2 and/or have a buncha debt, 100K can go very far even in Dallas, the place that doesn't have an income tax? I still have well over 20K in student loan debt; to me 100K in Dallas or the Northeast would land me a luxury studio apt with enough money left over after all bills to goof off, especially if I don't have a car to pay off.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:52 AM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Unless you have a kid or 2 and/or have a buncha debt, 100K can go very far even in Dallas, the place that doesn't have an income tax? I still have well over 20K in student loan debt; to me 100K in Dallas or the Northeast would land me a luxury studio apt with enough money left over after all bills to goof off, especially if I don't have a car to pay off.
Studio apt? Obviously you are single which yea, 100K should go very far if you're alone. I was referring to a small/medium family. Wife, Husband and a kid or two. It's much different when you're trying to afford a home and feeding a family of 3-4 like the woman in the video. When I was making 100K as a single guy I went on multiple vacations a year, lol.

Old 02-03-2023, 01:35 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
The country as a whole is not poorer today than it was 30 years ago, 50 years ago, 80 years ago. You might be. Certain areas might be. But not overall.

How many cars do families own today? How big is the average house? How new are your appliances? How many TV's do you have? How many cell phones / computers per household? What's the average inflation adjusted income? Most people actually have dental care done. The medical service you get today is incomparable to what the average person received 50 years ago.
I don't think you can make a generalization like that. Certain groups are wealthier. Certain groups are poorer. Geography and where you live plays a role. There will always be technological change resulting in new and better appliances and better quality services. The question is a relative one: What is your position when viewed in terms of the next quartile of income earners?

Old 02-04-2023, 07:44 AM

Again those that are not doing economically well is beside of past decisions they made. For example it was not secret that teachers are not in the highest paid profession but those that complain about their income made that decision eyes wide open. The fact is hamburger flippers dont get paid as much as say a teacher and a teacher does not get paid as much as a IT coder. Not all professions pay what you people think is a living wage or a middle income wage. Sorry but that was your choice right?
As i stated here before i figured out early on that i was not going to beholden to anyone about how much i got paid and went into commission sales where i could earn as much as i wanted but that required long hours and working 6 days a week. Life is full of choices and i i cant respect those who made dumb choices or continue to ***** about the choice they made if they are not happy. America is the land of opportunity and too damn bad if you did not take advantage of it as so many of us did.

Old 02-04-2023, 12:01 PM

4,948 posts, read 3,051,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
teacher does not get paid as much as a IT coder. Not all professions pay what you people think is a living wage or a middle income wage.

I feel this comment is off-base.
As someone has to teach others how to write code, or perform surgery on your loved ones.

Old 02-05-2023, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I feel this comment is off-base.
As someone has to teach others how to write code, or perform surgery on your loved ones.
I dont - people here are complaining about not having enough money - the truth is jobs pay certain levels of compensation. If you feel your not making,ing enough then you have to make changes that make your services more valuable to those that pay you.

Teachers will never get paid like a surgeon or a retail worker wont get paid as much as a code writer. Fact of life.

Old 02-05-2023, 08:03 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,051,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
I dont - people here are complaining about not having enough money - the truth is jobs pay certain levels of compensation. If you feel your not making,ing enough then you have to make changes that make your services more valuable to those that pay you.

Teachers will never get paid like a surgeon or a retail worker wont get paid as much as a code writer. Fact of life.

People are complaining about money due to wages not keeping up with housing costs, healthcare costs, and general inflation.
I've never been a teacher, but always felt they were undervalued; particularly when compared to code writers that produce nothing tangible.
Someone has to teach agricultural methods, so we can eat; it seems our values on what professions are truly worth have become unrealistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics