Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 03:17 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times

Advertisements

Interesting CNBC clip with different perspectives on how people are struggling with the skyrocketing costs of housing, healthcare, insurance, education and food.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2023, 12:31 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
Because the money they earn wont go far. That is what happens when globalist/secret cabal have control over the money supply, make more from nothing and spread amongst themselves, all while everyone else has to pay interest to this group in order to get some of that new money. After they jump through a bunch of other hoops that cost a lot of money also.

Old 01-21-2023, 01:54 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,374,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Because the money they earn wont go far. That is what happens when globalist/secret cabal have control over the money supply, make more from nothing and spread amongst themselves, all while everyone else has to pay interest to this group in order to get some of that new money. After they jump through a bunch of other hoops that cost a lot of money also.
????
Why does everyone want to get this "new money"? What is wrong with the old money.

Old 01-21-2023, 11:32 PM

464 posts, read 314,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Interesting CNBC clip with different perspectives on how people are struggling with the skyrocketing costs of housing, healthcare, insurance, education and food.

Sorry, I wanted to try to be understanding, but I couldn't continue watching after the lady in red said she was struggling with $100K a year household income.

For starters, maybe not obtaining cars that cost $1,600 per month would help. Having the financial headroom to put $500/mo. away for her child's college education is not struggling. That is just old fashion savings. Plus, if the kid is a legit college student- academically superior and resourceful- he/she will be able to get by all on their own, anyway.

Old 01-22-2023, 07:04 AM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
To me personally, it feels like living around my socioeconomic-class, lower middle-class and below, is many times a hugely sketchy experience...............feeling poor due to this dynamic, yeah, kinda.

To break-out of this situation, and live amongst more refined and decent people, is a
very large hill to climb...............not impossible, but really hard.

PS: To be honest, living amongst a higher-income demographic is something I have never done, so they just might be as "difficult" to live around as the ones I have lived around
all of my life.........boomcars, screaming, snarling dogs, garbage-flinging, tweakzombies, and all the other nonsense included.

Old 01-22-2023, 08:52 AM

747 posts, read 838,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foulball View Post
Sorry, I wanted to try to be understanding, but I couldn't continue watching after the lady in red said she was struggling with $100K a year household income.

For starters, maybe not obtaining cars that cost $1,600 per month would help. Having the financial headroom to put $500/mo. away for her child's college education is not struggling. That is just old fashion savings. Plus, if the kid is a legit college student- academically superior and resourceful- he/she will be able to get by all on their own, anyway.
Spot on correct! That is exactly where i stopped also.
I always find it amusing when parents feel they need to save for their kid's college. If the kid doesn't have the brains and resources to pay their way, they really don't belong there.

Old 01-22-2023, 09:12 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
We feel poor, because we are poorer. The cost of everything is rising, so we are forced to cut expenses of things we can control, because the things we can’t control, like insurance, taxes, rents, are going up.

As retired people, we are used to looking for ways to cut back every year, but I do not know how families with kids, or young people just starting out are making it.

When I first got married, mothers stayed home, a big new house cost $34k, and an annual income of $12k was enough to be comfortable. I know everything is relative, but something is seriously out of proportion these days.

Old 01-22-2023, 09:30 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We feel poor, because we are poorer. The cost of everything is rising, so we are forced to cut expenses of things we can control, because the things we can’t control, like insurance, taxes, rents, are going up.

As retired people, we are used to looking for ways to cut back every year, but I do not know how families with kids, or young people just starting out are making it.

When I first got married, mothers stayed home, a big new house cost $34k, and an annual income of $12k was enough to be comfortable. I know everything is relative, but something is seriously out of proportion these days.
Part of that "something" is that REIT's and flippers have taken over various aspects of the RE market, driving rents and prices far beyond what most people can pay. They started out in some markets taking advantage of job booms that created increased demand, but now they're spread across the country into other markets, other RE sectors, like mobile home parks and storage facilities. This has been going on under the radar for about 30 years, and people are only now beginning to recognize the problem.

How the Pharma industry was allowed to get away with predatory pricing, making basic prescriptions like inulin unaffordable to most is beyond me.

Old 01-22-2023, 10:15 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
<snip>

How the Pharma industry was allowed to get away with predatory pricing, making basic prescriptions like insulin unaffordable to most is beyond me.
Come on, Ruth. You're too smart for that. Follow the money. Running for office ain't cheap.

Old 01-22-2023, 12:53 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Part of that "something" is that REIT's and flippers have taken over various aspects of the RE market, driving rents and prices far beyond what most people can pay. They started out in some markets taking advantage of job booms that created increased demand, but now they're spread across the country into other markets, other RE sectors, like mobile home parks and storage facilities. This has been going on under the radar for about 30 years, and people are only now beginning to recognize the problem.

How the Pharma industry was allowed to get away with predatory pricing, making basic prescriptions like inulin unaffordable to most is beyond me.
We live in a free market system. As long as people still pay the rents, they won’t come down. As long as the pharmaceutical companies can keep making money, they will.

One thing that is really worrying me is foreign countries buying up land in America. I can’t reconcile my belief that a person should be able to sell his property to the highest bidder, against the worry about control by the Chinese and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics