Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 12:26 AM

229 posts, read 1,180,639 times

Advertisements

What are possible jobs to get straight out of undergrad with a BA in Eco and BS in Math with fluency in 5-6 languages? I'm particularly interested in business/economics and I'm looking for something as a back-up to I-banking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 03:06 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkdoc View Post
What are possible jobs to get straight out of undergrad with a BA in Eco and BS in Math with fluency in 5-6 languages? I'm particularly interested in business/economics and I'm looking for something as a back-up to I-banking.
Three suggestions.

1) Try the US foreign service, analysis and/or commercial section. Doesn't pay much, but can be a great experience, also for making contacts.

2) Business translations. But experience is very helpful, especially abroad. Try to land a financial position in one or more of the countries in whose language you are proficient, also to make contact with potential future customers.

3) One of the big accounting and/or consulting firms operating internationally: international tax accounting, for example, is always a good field.

Good luck!

Old 06-10-2008, 05:47 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
I did my first degree in international economics. I think bale had some very good suggestions. Just make sure you take TONS and I mean TONS of math courses. Econometrics etc. etc. those will be invaluable to you. You can also work in research and development. Make sure you go to a good school that has connections so you can do internships. Also look at the world bank. One of my teachers used to work for the world bank before becoming a professor. Another professor used to be some day trader. You have tons of options, just again make sure you take every economics related math course that is out there and make sure you do a internship every summer if possible. If you have to travel to do the internship they do it, this will be the difference between you making peanuts and making some real paper when you graduate.

Also take a few psychology and sociology courses as well. That ties into economics. You understand the human psyche, you will understand how people move and make the decisions better. That is all a part of economics.

Best of luck

Old 06-10-2008, 08:57 PM

My problem is that I can't do any internships. I work full time now (M-F 8-4) working with mentally disabled, and I go to school at night and on weekends.

This will be the thing that hurts me.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:26 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
. . . . I work full time now (M-F 8-4) working with mentally disabled . . . . .

THAT sounds like excellent preparation for the business folks world.

Yeah, I know, I know.

But it is funny because it is true.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:41 AM

^ Why do you say that? Sarcasm?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm slow tonight.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:00 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
actuary work - many insurance companies have worldwide locations, so although fluency may not be needed to do the job domestically, it could open some neat opportunities to work abroad

Old 06-13-2008, 12:16 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
If you know that many languages, in particular Arabic, Farsi, Hindu etc, the CIA is looking for YOU. They have decent pay, lots of adventurous travel and a great pension, if you survive.

I am not being sarcastic. A good professional Federal job in this economy is worth way more than the direct pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics