Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 07:17 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times

Advertisements

Just got back from vacation, and man, it feels great to take a break. Went to Disney World in Florida. Freaking awesome. Lot's of places to sit. Lines were short - less than 5 minutes for most rides, 'cept the most popular ones. Those were running about 25 - 30 minutes for the wait.

My wife remarked on how uncrowded it was....which brings me to my next point.

Disney was dead.

The resort hotel we stayed at at the park, it seemed like 1/2 the rooms were empty. We never had a problem finding a seat to eat at the park. I don't recall there being more than 3 people ahead of me in line for food, anywhere at the three parks we went to. In fact, there were many times where I was the only person grabbing a turkey leg in a 20 -30 minute time span.

I turned and looked at her and said, "It's the economy."

And she was all like, "Ah."

We did have a blast. It's even more fun when you can walk down the cattle corrals and there is ... almost no one there. You get to where they take your ticket...and realize the 5 minute wait wasn't a wait. That's the time it takes to negotiate the cattle corral......

And the water slides at Typhoon Lagoon? Basically, walk up, slide, walk up, slide. Less than 5 minutes. Unbelievable.

I guess that's why Disney isn't hiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 07:37 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
Yeah, that's waht a bad economy does for you. Discretionary spending for entertainment is cut first. Glad you had a great time.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:48 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
We were there summer before last. Last summer I spent unemployed - no vacation for us

But anyway, summer before last the Magic Kingdom was so insanely obnoxiously overcrowded. We went in the AM and ended up leaving by noon we couldn't stand it anymore. Ate lunch, swam, napped. And came back after dinner when it was do-able.

Really I do admire their crowd control there as I have never even been anywhere else that crowded. I hope things pick up for them soon. Unfortunately, that was our last trip there, as we likely will never afford to go there again.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:08 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Actually July and August for them is low season. Most people go in the spring or fall.

Too damn hot. I made the mistake of going there two years ago in August. I was in agony from the heat, absolutely painful. I think the heat index was over 115. Sea World the day before was just as painful.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:31 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
I've been to disneyworld for the last few years in jan.

Very few people. There were crowds, but not so bad that you couldnt do what you wanted at the parks. You could find parking, go on the rides you wanted. And the weather is great then.

Two good restaurants I liked,

Biergarten at Epcot. The German buffett. Good food, fun atmosphere.

Grand Floridian Cafe. Less formal than some of the other restaurants at the Grand Floridan. I think theres one that requires a jacket and tie? But here, you can go as a tourist. And didnt need a reservation. So you can say you ate at the Grand Floridian.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:57 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Actually July and August for them is low season. Most people go in the spring or fall.

Too damn hot. I made the mistake of going there two years ago in August. I was in agony from the heat, absolutely painful. I think the heat index was over 115. Sea World the day before was just as painful.
july and august are not low season for disney since that is when school is out. i agree that it is pretty hot in july and august but that is what splash mountain and the water rides are for! also, if you are targeted by the water cannon shooters (as i was, although i did get my revenge) you will stay cool for the rest of the day.....

Old 07-28-2009, 09:16 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
july and august are not low season for disney since that is when school is out. i agree that it is pretty hot in july and august but that is what splash mountain and the water rides are for! also, if you are targeted by the water cannon shooters (as i was, although i did get my revenge) you will stay cool for the rest of the day.....
No if you research it further you will find the spring and fall is the busiest times at DW due to the weather. July and August have a dip in business.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:21 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,022 times
Interesting post imo. Its very telling just how bad the economy is right now.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:32 AM

1,741 posts, read 4,575,770 times
I would love to go sometime like that. Many years ago I went before Memorial Day, and it wasn't bad....definitely not desolate, but some stuff such as splash mountain had some healthy wait times. Glad you enjoyed your trip, there is nothing more fun than a vacation there.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:58 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
I can't say anything about Disney World, but this is not true of Disneyland here in Southern California.

I went to Disneyland recently (some time in late June) and it was PACKED! In fact, so packed that when we got there at 11 AM the sign in the packing lot stated that Disneyland was full to capacity. We have season passes so we got in regardless and the park was extremely crowded, we mostly walked around.

I have not noticed any big shift in the number of people at the park. But, unlike Disney World, Disneyland is right in the middle of a major metro area and a lot of the people there are locals with season passes (Passes for southern California residents start at $130/year).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics