Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

IndyMac continued to do business after the FDIC took them over. Most of the people waiting in line didn't understand FDIC insurance I'll bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 09:20 PM

939 posts, read 3,386,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
IndyMac continued to do business after the FDIC took them over. Most of the people waiting in line didn't understand FDIC insurance I'll bet.
Exactly, thats what I'm trying to say. If your under the insurance limits the transition is smooth. Bank shuts down on Friday, you have access to your money via ATM over the weekend, on Monday your account is transfered to the new bank (or under control of the FDIC). At the most you'll need new checks or ATM cards.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:30 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,483,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post
Exactly, thats what I'm trying to say. If your under the insurance limits the transition is smooth. Bank shuts down on Friday, you have access to your money via ATM over the weekend, on Monday your account is transfered to the new bank (or under control of the FDIC). At the most you'll need new checks or ATM cards.
Yes I have seen this too. I really do not want to move all our accounts from WAMU either. We are established there...

Since we have other money in separate MMAs I think we will sit tight.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:43 PM

316 posts, read 692,833 times
From what I understand ,

If you have under 100 grand
this whole thing is no big deal !
WAMU will close and reopen under FDIC control
Same as Indymac Did !
and the Indymac checks where still cashable after the
closing and reopening ( I know because I cashed one
after Indymac reopened it cleared into my bank account with no problem)
So if your using WAMU as say just a checking
account purpose only I see no need to worry !

JUST TO BE SAFE - You may want to pull a little cash
Just to last a few days until WAMU bank reopens !

Alot of Banks are going to fail This is just the tip of the iceberg !
So moving your money out doesnt mean its gonna be safe !
When the whole nations banking system is collapsing !
FDIC will go Bankrupt too !!! So the banks that fail
at this early stage of the collapse will be FDIC covered !
Maybe a few months or less from now other banks may not !

Last edited by jetway777; 09-17-2008 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 09-17-2008, 09:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetway777 View Post
From what I understand ,

If you have under 100 grand
this whole thing is no big deal !
WAMU will close and reopen under FDIC control
Same as Indymac Did !
and the Indymac checks where still cashable after the
closing and reopening ( I know because I cashed one
after Indymac reopened it cleared into my bank account with no problem)
So if your using WAMU as say just a checking
account purpose only I see no need to worry !

JUST TO BE SAFE - You may want to pull a little cash
Just to last a few days until WAMU bank reopens !

Alot of Banks are going to fail This is just the tip of the iceberg !
So moving your money out doesnt mean its gonna be safe !
When the whole nations banking system is collapsing !
FDIC will go Bankrupt too !!! So the banks that fail
at this early stage of the collapse will be FDIC covered !
Maybe a few months or less from now other banks may not !
In that dire scenario..the money will become worthless.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:56 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,364 times
Kind of relates to the south when the weatherman says snow even if it's just flurries, I can see some who may want to pull it out and move it, but to go on an out and out panic I see no real need to, problems could arise if you write out a check in the banks name then the company owed comes back and says nope we aren't honoring that check causing bill payments to become late, things to that effect, would it happen who knows, things are getting a bit on the worrisome side but I don’t really see a need for panic to set in.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:55 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,844,534 times
It looks like the government may help engineer a buyout of WaMu. Which would be a good thing, since the already depleted FDIC could theoretically be on the hook for $20 billion or so in the event of a WaMu failure.

But is your money at risk, while deposited at WaMu? No.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:00 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Whoever buys WaMu is an idiot... but I am curious as to who it might be... even BoA said no to the buyout.. WaMu's debt doesn't go away in a buyout and WaMu doesn't offer anything good to buy anyways... so the buyout would be for idiots... I let them fail and buy up the best parts for pennies on the dollar and not be straddled with WaMu's debts... like with what Barclay did with Lehman...

Old 09-17-2008, 11:35 PM

3 posts, read 6,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve
Calm down. You'll be fine if you're under the FDIC limits. If everyone goes and pulls their money out the company will go under for sure. Now is not the time for irrational behavior.

Yea right:

Federal bank insurance fund dwindling - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080916/ap_on_bi_ge/bank_deposits_safety - broken link)

Old 09-18-2008, 01:08 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
People's behavior changes when it comes to their money...I am sure you will be the first to be standing in line if it's your money on the line That's just human psychology, we've busted our ass to earn it and it's just natural to be a bit cynical about promises especially with our government pretty much doing as they please right now... today they say FDIC will cover it without issues, tommorow they may say there is litigation with the company so FDIC will pay after litigation resolves which may be a year from now. The bottom line is that the government has estabilished that they CANNOT be trusted since they break existing rules and make new rules as they go... and to be realistic we do not understand all the loopholes that can be exploited under the current laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics