Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 09:03 AM

316 posts, read 692,833 times

Advertisements

Consumer Credit Cards Could Be Next CRISIS?
Credit Cards May Be Next Trouble Spot in Crisis - Consumer Goods * US * News * Story - CNBC.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 09:08 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Why not? Invite more to the party!

Credit cards, auto loans, student loans, HELOC's - it's all going down. I just wonder why anyone would show any surprise at that. I've felt all along that the whole house of cards would collapse. In other threads, people who think like me are called "doomers" or "D&G".

But it looks like we may be onto something, ya think?

Old 10-16-2008, 09:40 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Per the referenced article:

"Credit card write-offs last year totaled $26.6 billion, and are on track to reach more than $41.4 billion this year. And that's just the beginning"

Old 10-16-2008, 09:44 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,159,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Why not? Invite more to the party!

Credit cards, auto loans, student loans, HELOC's - it's all going down. I just wonder why anyone would show any surprise at that. I've felt all along that the whole house of cards would collapse. In other threads, people who think like me are called "doomers" or "D&G".

But it looks like we may be onto something, ya think?
Derivatives. That's where the real problem lies. Mostly unregulated and with no oversight. The CDS auction payments will be due on Oct 21 for Lehman's as well. The current derivatives estimate is valued in the $500 trillion range. Even Warren Buffett has said he doesn't understand them.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:53 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,307,014 times
Credit cards unlike home loans or even automobile loans are used to buy things like meals, clothes, oil changes, gasoline, etc. - things that have little or no remaining asset value. There simply cannot be a bailout on credit card debt - that's a debt which each individual cardholder must be held personally responisible for.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:56 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooter View Post
Credit cards unlike home loans or even automobile loans are used to buy things like meals, clothes, oil changes, gasoline, etc. - things that have little or no remaining asset value. There simply cannot be a bailout on credit card debt - that's a debt which each individual cardholder must be held personally responisible for.
Agreed. People will either service the debt or go bankrupt. It's up to the credit card issuers to tread carefully and negotiate with borrowers if they have any hopes of getting their money back.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:04 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Quote:
Hello Kooter,

Have you been watching the news? The government isn't doing anything to help over leveraged homeowners. Why would you even think they'd help you with credit card debt.

It's the banks they are bailing out.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:33 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
I've been asking myself this same question. My wife told me the other day that the average family has something like $10000 (can't remember the figure exactly but it was shocking) in credit card debt....AVERAGE. With the way things are going there are going to be tons of defaulted accounts. I can see the big card companies going bankrupt. As was said above people use cards to by things that you can't liquidate in a lot of cases. You can't repo an oil change or a trip to the hair dresser. What is the plan for these card companies when half the people who owe these huge amounts can't pay it?

Old 10-16-2008, 10:39 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
That's not how it works now. Credit card debt = unsecured debt. So, people can pretty much walk away from their credit card debts with little recourse. UNLESS the CC company decides to sue them. With the level of defaults going on right now, it is HIGHLY unlikely that they are going to go after everyone. They will try their usual corn ball tactics to scare people (just read some of the posts about this on this very forum). Other than that, after 3 to 5 years (depending on state) they cant come after you. Then after 7 yrs it comes off your credit report (slate whipped clean). Thats how it works my man. Will these companies be bailed out? Well they are already being bailed out. If I remember right, its a tax right off so they get their money. Its those other companies that buy your debt for pennies on the dollar and try to come after you that will take the reeming.

From the article:

Quote:
Credit-card delinquencies are likely to become the next flashpoint in the credit crisis, though the impact on the overall economy won't be as severe as the housing slump, analysts believe.
These "economist" they are talking to must not have gotten the memo about consumer spending and its impact on GDP. Consumer spending makes up 70% of the U.S.A. economy. Now imagine how much of this spending is done via credit.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:42 AM

316 posts, read 692,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
I've been asking myself this same question. My wife told me the other day that the average family has something like $10000 (can't remember the figure exactly but it was shocking) in credit card debt....AVERAGE. With the way things are going there are going to be tons of defaulted accounts. I can see the big card companies going bankrupt. As was said above people use cards to by things that you can't liquidate in a lot of cases. You can't repo an oil change or a trip to the hair dresser. What is the plan for these card companies when half the people who owe these huge amounts can't pay it?
I was reading in Kiplinger Mag About Average american's credit card debt is
around $ 16 ,000 !

Credit Card Companies will most likely eat most of this DEBT In ChargeOffs .Alot more americans will be unemployed and on the dole
So how can they sue Defaultors ???

Most Credit Card Companies will most likely go Bankrupt themselves !
Along with AMERICA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics