Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 08:36 PM

939 posts, read 3,386,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony23 View Post
You're talking about fire alarms, not fire sprinklers. Automatic fire sprinklers are purely mechanical. A fire sprinkler system alerting the fire dept. would be part of a different system.
Yes, I am well aware of that. The OP asked if the fire department is notified if the sprinkler system is activated. I think it's pretty common sense that the sprinkler doesn't call the fire department. The sprinkler system is connected to the fire alarm. And not all fire departments will automatically respond to a fire alarm (including ones with sprinkler systems).

Quote:
Again, not necessarily so with automatic fire sprinklers. That would only happen if they were tied in to an alarm system.
Thanks for touching on that common sense thing again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 08:40 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,578 times
You would be surprised how little common sense has to do with people's ideas about how fire sprinkler systems work.

As for "The sprinkler system is connected to the fire alarm." - that's not necessarily the case, which was my point.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:48 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I couldn't tell you HOW it happened...when I came in at 8:30 p.m. it was running, and ran at least a half hour after that.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:10 AM

11 posts, read 31,478 times
Gentlemen, Are we having a disagreement?

I do realize that the two are seperate--Fire sprinklers and fire alarms. I also understand that fire sprinklers are mechanical.

Common sense? What's common sense got to do with it?
You guys are yanking my chain. huh?
Shame on you. *sniffle

Are any of you fireman?

I've not lived anywhere that had the water sprinklers,. Most places have smoke detectors instead. I don't remember where I was at where there were fire sprinklers, but it seems like it was a long time ago, and I remember looking up, and wondering if they might start up suddenly while I was sitting there.

I'm betting most people don't even think of these things. I'd just like to be as accurate as possible.

Go ahead and have a good laugh--on me.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:28 PM

Home Depot has them.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamin1 View Post
Are any of you fireman?
No, but I have worked in fire protection - specifically, automatic fire sprinkler systems. I've worked on the installation AND the design side.

Quote:
I've not lived anywhere that had the water sprinklers,. Most places have smoke detectors instead.
I'm a big fan of fire sprinklers. They're almost fail-safe, and they can put a fire out before much damage is done. I'm planning on building my own home in the next few years, and will DEFINITELY have fire sprinklers put it. I'll probably do the engineering myself.

In California, a lot of counties now require fire sprinklers in new residential construction.

Quote:
I'm betting most people don't even think of these things. I'd just like to be as accurate as possible.
I, for one, appreciate that. It rather annoys me when movies depict fire sprinklers inaccurately

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Home Depot has them.
Really? I can't see them on the website. It would surprise me, since fire sprinkler installation has to conform to NFPA 13 as well as local regulations - which is something not normally in the "do-it-yourself" category. I would be quite interested in finding out more.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Really? I can't see them on the website. It would surprise me, since fire sprinkler installation has to conform to NFPA 13 as well as local regulations - which is something not normally in the "do-it-yourself" category. I would be quite interested in finding out more.
I didn't mean for sale...they have them in the locations!

Old 10-29-2008, 12:18 AM

11 posts, read 31,478 times
Ah, okay Tony. Sorry. It's just that there seems to be so many variables. I can't tell if you guys are teasing me or what.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I didn't mean for sale...they have them in the locations!
Ah, ok - Since I worked in the business, and in CA all commercial buildings are required to have them, I never really thought it worth mentioning that a particular store did. Comes from different experiences, I guess

On that topic, though - I googled "home depot fire sprinklers" and found this: Fire Sprinklers At Home Depot Hawthorne - EMTBravo.net

Quote:
Ah, okay Tony. Sorry. It's just that there seems to be so many variables. I can't tell if you guys are teasing me or what.
Sorry - I tend to be a bit pedantic when it comes to fire sprinklers, because there is so much misunderstanding about them, and they're really quite simple.

Everything discussed, such as elevators shutting down, fire department being called, etc., certainly CAN be part of a fire protection system - and a lot of it probably IS, especially in newer buildings. It's just not part of a fire SPRINKLER system - which may not really matter for your purposes

I would like to thank you, though, for taking the time to find out before just having the system do what you want, regardless of the facts. I wish more writers would do that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics