Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:10 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,172,511 times

Advertisements

Forest Beekeeper's way of doing things is best, as long as he can defend it in times of trouble. It's just that arable land is very expensive, and you need some woodland to heat the place in winter.

I think Woof cubed currently lives in California, Younglisa, like me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 08:39 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,456,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Forest Beekeeper's way of doing things is best, as long as he can defend it in times of trouble. It's just that arable land is very expensive, and you need some woodland to heat the place in winter.

Forest has got a good strategy for living of the grid, but if he loses his wife, he might be up the creek! (Unless he can figure out how to cook.)

I do not live in California. I'm in the cold, cold north. The ground will be frozen soon.

But then again, I'm a woof, I mean wolf...

whatever

Old 11-05-2008, 10:55 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,019,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Forest has got a good strategy for living of the grid, but if he loses his wife, he might be up the creek! (Unless he can figure out how to cook.)
Why do you think he can't cook???

Old 11-05-2008, 11:46 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,210,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Yes, but your labor is equivalent to money, as is the cost of land, feed, and everything else. I mean, you probably don't have a regular job, right? You put your labor and time into growing food, so that is your job.

It really doesn't compare with the creativity of someone like YoungLisa who put together a full meal plan for the day.

So, my question is, if you did not have your wife or farm, could you survive on one dollar a day for, say, 30 days or something?

many people have a little garden though. you'll be surprised how much you can grow in pots let alone a little garden.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
I doubt if you can get enough food to survive on $1 per day. I think we should give all the executives, politicians and mortgage barons that set up these bubbles to a chance to try.

Last edited by GregW; 11-06-2008 at 05:26 AM.. Reason: added line of text

Old 11-06-2008, 07:25 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,409,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I doubt if you can get enough food to survive on $1 per day. I think we should give all the executives, politicians and mortgage barons that set up these bubbles to a chance to try.

Yeah right! They would die. I'm on the flip side and I cannot comprehend the kind of money they make and spend. It boggles the mind.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:14 AM

37,477 posts, read 61,444,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post

I retired to Maine. Bought 42 acres of river frontage forest. My SIL bought 105 acres across the road from us.

So I manage nearly 150 acres of forest. My land was $900 per acre [a high price due to the river frontage], her land was $300 per acre [no river access].

Taxes here are very low, around $1.05 per acre each year.

I cut and sell firewood. and I list of 'freecycle' for anyone who wants to come and to cut their own firewood on my land.

We have a lot of deer, moose, a few bear, and many wild turkey here. In this area we see eagle soaring above the tree tops daily.

Last year I began planting Fruit trees, and we have a couple greenhouses.

I am a vendor at a local Organic Farmer's Market. Eggs and Fiddleheads mostly.

Our honey and maple production is not high enough to retail either. But we hope to get our production of both up there.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:18 AM

37,477 posts, read 61,444,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Why do you think he can't cook???
Last night we had pork roast, mashing sweet potatoes, and squash.

It cost me a bit for the propane fuel used to cook it all.

The butter and salt were store-bought too.

Otherwise it was just sweat equity.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:23 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,067,093 times
There is a lady on a coupon site who has an $800 food budget for 2008. I think there are 4 in her family so that would be ~$0.55 per day, per person. I'll see if I can find a link or something, I think she has a blog.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:53 AM

181 posts, read 611,743 times
Please post if she has a blog, that would be very interesting. We're trying to live on as little a day as possible for now. We're in banking and stuffing everything we can into savings. We did 'splurge' on apples/oranges this week.

Forest Beekeeper-very impressive! We'd love to be able to do something like that in the future. It's probably very fulfilling to be so self sufficient and reliant.

Very interesting article and thread! I've enjoyed ready advice, tips, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics