Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:07 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
LOL, done that.....

About 2 weeks ago, one of the samples was a lobster dip on crackers.....must've went back about 10 times....it was incredible.....

Yes, thats right, I have no shame.....
Guilty as charged.

When I go to Whole Foods, they have little signs posted that say, "One Sample Per Customer Please," but I always try to squeeze two pieces of cheese on a toothpick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 09:31 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Guilty as charged.

When I go to Whole Foods, they have little signs posted that say, "One Sample Per Customer Please," but I always try to squeeze two pieces of cheese on a toothpick.
Here's a tip that works. Usually the sample givers are senior citizen females. After you get your first sample, start chatting up about how crowded the store is, or how beutiful the weather is. That will probably get you another 2-3 crackers....

After that, your on your own....

Old 11-07-2008, 09:57 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetway777 View Post
I'm Scared too .

So why not try to use the fear to learn to prepare instead of waiting for the Panic
when the S*#T hits the fan ?

I Wanna Learn !

Costco gives out " FREE SAMPLES" You could walk around in there all
day !

And eat for "FREE"
( Membership required )
Only need a membership if you are going to buy stuff.

I go and I have seen folks wandering around price comparing without memberships.

There are very few things that we have found, that can be purchased cheaper there.

Shop around and you can find each item somewhere else cheaper.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:55 AM

Has anyone heard of Food Not Bombs?

They collect food that people would normally throw out and turn it into meals. I saw them in town a few weeks ago and they gave me some Kale and eggplant and radishes and some old bread from Trader Joes.

A lot of places and farms get rid of food that is still good.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:07 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,945 times
Quote:
Has anyone heard of Food Not Bombs?

They collect food that people would normally throw out and turn it into meals. I saw them in town a few weeks ago and they gave me some Kale and eggplant and radishes and some old bread from Trader Joes.

A lot of places and farms get rid of food that is still good.
I saw something like this on Dateline a while back. Groups were going through garbage cans collecting items and making gourmet meals out of it.

The meals looked good but I don't know if I would eat them...

Old 11-07-2008, 11:38 AM

316 posts, read 692,833 times
Fast food Places throw away perfectly good food After a specified time ! Burgers ,Fries, tacos, Ect .... Just Watch , Wait And Dive ! It's EASY &

Cost = $ 0. (FREE)

http://img48.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (broken link)

Become a Freegan?
http://www.freegan.info
Freeganism is becoming very popular with todays economic meltdown?
cbs13.com - Freegan... New Lifestyle Growing In Popularity (http://cbs13.com/watercooler/freegans.vegans.dumpster.2.486163.html - broken link)
FOOD NOT BOMBS !
http://www.foodnotbombs.net/

Last edited by jetway777; 11-07-2008 at 11:52 AM..

Old 11-07-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
I saw something like this on Dateline a while back. Groups were going through garbage cans collecting items and making gourmet meals out of it.

The meals looked good but I don't know if I would eat them...
Freegans. They live for free.

I would eat the food. I think it's a good way to survive on a budget. You do what you have to.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:53 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,945 times
Quote:
Freegans. They live for free.

I would eat the food. I think it's a good way to survive on a budget. You do what you have to.
When the perspective is "survival", hell ya I'll eat it. But as long as I can eat for a $1 a day, I won't . Now get down to under a buck a day... Survival mode !

Old 11-07-2008, 12:06 PM

181 posts, read 611,563 times
LOL, well I'll come clean here.

During college we found the Frito Lay dumpster and would check it out on occasion. We found chips (of course) but also jerky, nuts, pretzels, trail mixes all sealed in the packages. The dumpster was at a warehouse so generally the dumpster only had product new in the pkg. or damaged product and boxes. It was always full. Always.

I was doing a practicum at the time working with low income/poverty second language kids in after school programs. One boy in particular loved the spicy Cheetos which must not have been a big seller because there were CASES sealed with new pkg. of Cheetos. We took three CASES and left them on his doorstep at night (knock and run). Yea, we were breaking all kinds of barriers with privacy, etc. but I don't think his parents were citizens? just working fields and they were hungry. We never told them it was us but he talked about the wonderful blessing of Cheetos for months! We started dropping of healthier things after that.

We also frequented the bread stores who also throw out cases of Twinkies, Cupcakes, Bread (wheat and white, sweet rolls, and everything else you can imagine. Bagel stores (Einsteins, etc.) also throw out BAGS of bagels each night.

Unfortunately for us we mostly eat fresh/and cook on our own. We also avoid quite a bit of processed food. We fed many a duck with the bread.

It's amazing how much is thrown away in our country. I understand that for profit, etc. people don't give it away but it's sad when so many are going without (to me) or so many are on government programs that we could possibly cut down on.

We haven't been dumpster diving since college days but if they economy continues we might very well be back to it! LOL. It's fun but I'm sure not fun if you have to be doing it.

We were always hoping for a fruit/veggie dumpster. However I'm sure that wouldn't be safe, clean, or fun.

*A professor I had would attend conferences on a regular basis and would always ask for all of the extra food to be packaged up (he brought his own packages) and before the break out sessions would start he'd run all the extras to the local soup kitchen. I thought that was neat. If it weren't for him it would all be thrown away as well.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:42 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
It's not as easy to dumpster dive as it once was. Fast food places and grocery stores are locking up more securely now for the most part, though it depends a lot on municipal codes in a particular area.

Also the younger generation of bums often will make a filthy mess around the dumpsters, causing owners to lock up and ask for more police patrols.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics