Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 12:59 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,738,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
''

)
LOL. I like to keep books as references, for just on reason. Have a real weakness for going into bookstores and picking up a book and "just have to have it." But I usually go home and order it "used" online (on my computer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 01:03 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
I don't think there's anything wrong with TV. The problem is the same we have with a lot of things - moderation.

Catching the game or a 1/2 hour show now and then is no big deal. Sitting in front of it every day and night and allowing it to color your whole perspective or world view is different matter.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:04 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisDD View Post
I raise this question on my own personal reflections. I live in a big metro area and every weekend and on my nights the restaraunts are busy, Best Buy is packed, the fast food lines packed, as well as the Department Stores.

Again, this is just a personal experience, zero scientfic data. But it really makes me think, if I stayed in all day and watched TV one would think the world is ending. With the 24 hour news cycle, our media more than ever is hyping & sensationlizing everything.

Now things are bad, my 401K is getting beat bad, gas prices were through the roof, now back down(for now).

I guess it is kind of like a recession is when you lose your job. It can happen when the economy is "booming" or "stagnant."

Kinda like minor surgery. It is minor when it's on someone else, but a whole new ballgame when it is on you.
I hate television with a passion. Granted, there's some good shows on TV but the crap you have to wade through! Those stupid commercials. Fox News, etc... And then the $100 cable bill each month.

You go over to some folks house and the TV is on in the background constantly. Kids stare at it while watching dinner.

No thanks. Haven't owned a TV in years.

That said, I am addicted to the Internet.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:12 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
Well I still watch a lot but less than before. I travelled a lot and on some trips I never watched tv for weeks, and didn't even miss it so I know I'm not addicted.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:32 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,171 times
What?? no "Family Feud"?? . Actually, I like to watch PBS which is almost commercial free. The science, nature programs as well as Masterpiece Theater are worth watching. When the big depression comes and it costs too much to go out, we all might be stuck at home either reading or watching TV.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:31 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,553,817 times
I certainly like watching movies, and a few TV shows. I don't like watching the stuff with commercials, and I don't really have the time to watch it on their schedule, so I usually rent DVDs, or connect my laptop to the TV. I have basic cable, but I don't use it, I'm trying to see if I can cancel the service, I also have internet from the cable company.

I don't think I would be better off without the TV, I would probably be a little less impressed with the picture using just my computer.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:23 PM

475 posts, read 1,304,636 times
Honestly, I've watched more TV in the past few weeks than I have in practically my whole life. DH and I are seriously trying to save every penny and that means staying out of stores unless we REALLY need something and instead staying home. We used to just mill around the mall or go to the bookstore but no more. Instead we are watching TV, on the internet, or outisde.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics