Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 12:17 PM

638 posts, read 1,918,781 times

Advertisements

I love people who don't think this crap is really happening because it hasn't happened to them yet.

Well as of yesterday my family is part of that. My husband was laid off from his job in IT here. Trying to find a job is going to be horrid. And to boot 2 other large employers in this area laid off 526 employees and another company laid off 100.

So yeah.. it's getting uglier and uglier. thankfully I still have my job (and that is stable in this area (med transc) and unemployment and my child support plus my MIL lives w/us and her SS is going to help. We'll be okay through the winter but after that? who knows
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 12:27 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,476,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I hope not. That means you'll be boiling grass in 2011.
Grass tastes better anyway...if I could just out of the concrete jungle and to it

Old 11-20-2008, 12:34 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,242,261 times
It's a death spiral. The party's over. Unemployment > foreclosures > increased social services costs > budget deficits > less consumption > more unemployment .....

Solutions: Exit Iraq & Afghanistan NOW. Cut the military budget 50%! It'll still be bigger than the whole world's military budget! The military is not protecting us. Spending TRILLIONS on insane empire building schemes is bankrupting us. Use the money here to rebuild American and prepare for the next energy crisis. Tax the rich; they can afford it. They've gotten rich on this Ponzi scheme, now let them pay for it.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:57 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
It's a death spiral. The party's over. Unemployment > foreclosures > increased social services costs > budget deficits > less consumption > more unemployment .....

Solutions: Exit Iraq & Afghanistan NOW. Cut the military budget 50%! It'll still be bigger than the whole world's military budget! The military is not protecting us. Spending TRILLIONS on insane empire building schemes is bankrupting us. Use the money here to rebuild American and prepare for the next energy crisis. Tax the rich; they can afford it. They've gotten rich on this Ponzi scheme, now let them pay for it.
Because robbing Paul to give to Peter is a productive way to run an economy...

Old 11-20-2008, 01:00 PM

Better than hoarding

Old 11-20-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Better than hoarding
Anyone hoarding to anything other than Christ will be dead soon enough anyway, for it is written "What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet loses his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?"

Old 11-20-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
Anyone hoarding to anything other than Christ will be dead soon enough anyway, for it is written "What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet loses his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?"
Sorry,I must have mistaken you for another republican who just wants to keep the money for themselves

Old 11-20-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Sorry,I must have mistaken you for another republican who just wants to keep the money for themselves
Libertarian. We all meet our maker regardless. The man who is jealous of his brother's wealth is just as bad as the man who has aquired wealth his whole life and done nothing with it to advance the kingdom of God.

Last edited by Philosophizer; 11-20-2008 at 01:29 PM..

Old 11-20-2008, 01:21 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinCarl View Post
I love people who don't think this crap is really happening because it hasn't happened to them yet.

Well as of yesterday my family is part of that. My husband was laid off from his job in IT here. Trying to find a job is going to be horrid. And to boot 2 other large employers in this area laid off 526 employees and another company laid off 100.

So yeah.. it's getting uglier and uglier. thankfully I still have my job (and that is stable in this area (med transc) and unemployment and my child support plus my MIL lives w/us and her SS is going to help. We'll be okay through the winter but after that? who knows
Yeowch! I wonder how many people are in your same situation....

I wonder what happens when 10's of thousands of Americans will be out of work. Wait, it's already happened.

There are already three unemployed Americans for each job opening, according to the Economic Policy Institute. About 189,000 people have exhausted unemployment benefits without finding jobs, and more than 1 million more will get their final unemployment check between now and New Year’s, EPI reported Wednesday.

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/printedition/2008/11/20/rajeev.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
70Ford wrote:
TIME TO PANIC!!! - Great Depression 2 by 2011.
IMO, PANIC is a complete waste of energy. It makes people do stupid things they'd never do if they stayed calm. So I'll say, NO it is not time to PANIC. Rather, stay calm and keep your wits about you....no matter what. Take it one day at a time, one step at a time.

Look at headline. Look at wink.

I don't panic. I respond. Except if it's a bear. Then I haul ass. Bears look cuddly, but they see you as a fat, juicy meatball.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:49 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,791,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinCarl View Post

I am so sorry for your troubles. You're right, though, a lot of ppl are in denial until it happens to them. I hope everything works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics