Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 09:33 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times

Advertisements

I'll state this point again and again. No unsubsidized transportation system, in the history of civilization, has ever been profitable. NOT. ONE. SYSTEM. EVER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 09:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I would hope a massive public infrastructure project would employ the truck drivers and others displaced by improved rail transport.

Fundamentally I do not believe the "free market" can come up with an optimal solution to these problems because it is seldom "free" and distorted by market domination and monopoly. This is a major problem and I think I will write a proper essay and send it to my legislators and Congress critters for their edification. If I use words like that they might not understand so I’ll use simpler language

Old 11-25-2008, 09:59 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Actually a GOOD question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
are any of our current commuter rail systems profitable?
I have direct knowledge of the extensive Metra rail system in Chicago and its suburbs. Over the years the system has done pretty well, but it is ONLY about 55% supported with ridership revenue.

A case could be easily made that there are SOME lines that actually COULD be just 100% self-supporting, but actually profitable BUT since the politicians have BUILT_IN the natural rivalry between different towns, opposing socio-economic strata and do-gooders vs pragmatists the system serves a WIDER group than is profitable.

The EXACT same lessons can be drawn from MOST infrastructure -- look all the stupid "middle of nowhere road building projects" idiot pork kings like Robert Bryd or Murtha have snagged over the years, no good comes from them. Then look at the congestion that exists around major population centers and the "cupboards are bare" bs that surrounds them.

I am OPPOSED to letting any "infrastructure" bill get cranked out of the sausage-house that is known as Washington DC!

Instead how about they actually encourage INVESTMENT by private firms in not just roads, but INDUSTRIAL PLANTS by cutting out the horse-pucky of "environmental impact studys" and "wildlife habit mitigation" and "affected resident input". Hell, here in Illinois the CN railway wants to EXPAND its freight lines but idiot Durbin is roadblocking those efforts becuase it might lead to more whining cry babies who live in houses next to underutilized tracks having more trains rattle by. boo hoo. SUCK IT UP and let the people that WANT TO GROW THIER BUSINESS use the the resources they need access to!

http://metrarail.com/Budget/2008_PR_BudgetBook.pdf (broken link)

http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/2008/03/12/business/business/doc78e118bd2dedd5688625740900638b74.txt (broken link)

Old 11-25-2008, 10:01 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,749 times
The infrastructure plan is just a busy-work program to create jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
So guys. At this point I believe it almost a given that we are going to be spending a lot of money on infrastructure in the next couple of years. So.......since we are going to spend the money anyways whether we like it or not (let not argue of going into debt on this thread). Then???

What do you guys think needs to be absolutely accomplished in that building/rebuilding?
What must we do to (hopefully) make America more competitive in a global market?
What can be done to improve or expand Americans quality of life? (if that's possible.)

Basically.......if we are going to spend the money on infrastructure what must we do to maximize each dollar spent on it?

Old 11-25-2008, 10:06 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
The infrastructure plan is just a busy-work program to create jobs.
No, busy-work would be digging holes and then filling them back in. In contrast, at the end of this infrastructure program, we would have tangible benefits which would last for decades.

Arguably, the best time to do infrastructure constructure is during a recession. The cost of labor, raw materials, and money (interest rates) are low compared to good economic times, so the government gets more bang for the buck.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:17 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
No, busy-work would be digging holes and then filling them back in. In contrast, at the end of this infrastructure program, we would have tangible benefits which would last for decades.

Arguably, the best time to do infrastructure constructure is during a recession. The cost of labor, raw materials, and money (interest rates) are low compared to good economic times, so the government gets more bang for the buck.
no kidding.

Does anyone remember the bridge collapsing in Minneapolis? I can see this happening again. As much as I support transit and the funding of it, the highways are not in good repair, especially in our older cities. If people think we should keep neglecting them, then fine. Just don't be surprised when the next disaster happens.

it's absolutely time to do something about transportation as a whole in this country.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:21 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
no kidding.

Does anyone remember the bridge collapsing in Minneapolis? I can see this happening again. As much as I support transit and the funding of it, the highways are not in good repair, especially in our older cities. If people think we should keep neglecting them, then fine. Just don't be surprised when the next disaster happens.

it's absolutely time to do something about transportation as a whole in this country.
Yes, we definitely have to do something about transportation in the US. I know this is a "global" world now, but I really wish we could stop policing the world, and spend some money on our ancient bridges before more start collapsing. A top notch rail system that connects all the way across country would be wonderful. I didn't vote for Obama, but I hope the new president will take us in a different direction. More money for US, more jobs for US, more spending on programs that benefit US, not the rest of the world.

/rant over

Old 11-25-2008, 11:04 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
no kidding.

i can also see a bunch of big dig projects funded by the taxpayers. they have not handled the money they have spent so far very wisely.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:06 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i can also see a bunch of big dig projects funded by the taxpayers. they have not handled the money they have spent so far very wisely.
you never know, things might be a little different this time around.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:06 AM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,010 times
What if part of the infrastructure plan is to provide tax credits/incentives to businesses and employers to relocate out to the suburbs and exurbs. This would allow for a better distribution of work and housing and usage of the transportation system.

One of the main reasons the Los Angeles Southland is able to hold as many cars and people is because the Los Angeles Southland (30+ million? people) doesn't really have a centralized downtown (along with suburban sprawl there was also commercial and industrial sprawl). There is West LA, Downtown LA, Burbank, Pasadena, Ontario, Anaheim, South Orange County, etc. etc.

If federal credits/incentives were given to companies to relocate or start up in less congested areas, then freeways and infrastructure loads would be drastically reduced. In the most part, businesses these days can easily communicate electronically. It makes sense... but of course politics would get involved between the counties/cities over federal dollars.

-chuck22b
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics