Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 06:00 AM

27,218 posts, read 46,791,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
treasury secretary paulson's brother worked for lehman. there are so many ties between sachs, wall street, and all of the bailouts. not everyone at lehman suffered. fuld (CEO) got about a half a billion dollars in total compensation alone.
i doubt if corzine can win reelection in NJ since he is pretty unpopular there and the state is literally bankrupt. (about 60 billion in debt now)
A few months ago a CEO of a big franchise company told me that the way it was goin with this Country (1 of them a person being elected to become the next president, without having experience and having many lousy association, etc.) he told me and others, that he thinks the USA is turning in South America politics....I start to agree with him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 01:01 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,985,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
A few months ago a CEO of a big franchise company told me that the way it was goin with this Country (1 of them a person being elected to become the next president, without having experience and having many lousy association, etc.) he told me and others, that he thinks the USA is turning in South America politics....I start to agree with him!
The problem we have here is that people, more and more, distrust the government. THey, in my opinion, wanted a new fresh approach to solve these problems that we have. They are sick of the old network of people of questionable character in our government.

Congress tried to pass Nafta in the dead of night, when no one was watching. They did not actually READ Nafta when they did pass it.
That helps business, but many citizens think it's a huge mistake. Congress did not do their research.

Congress voted for the war, despite much information that there were no weapons of mass destruction. This also helped certain businesses. Congress, again, did not do their homework and acted hastily.

Congress repealed the safeguards put in place after the Great Depression to avoid it happening again. This benefited businesses. Again, they did not fully research this issue.

Congress voted for bailouts with no accountability - another hasty and bad choice.

People are getting fed up and trying something different. If things get much worse and the different choice does not work out - if this (pardon) cr@p keeps 'happening' people will really get fed up, and I agree, I am afraid we may lose our democracy - well, what we have left of it.

You see, business is a marvelous thing, but we have a government for a reason, and that is so influence from various sectors will not get out of balance. To protect things like the environment and the public good. Business in the US, and in much of the world, has gotten out of control and since its main concern is to make a profit, someone has to stand up for those who do not have equal power. That is the role of the government.

We are counting on Obama to rid us of this chokehold that business has on the public throat.

Ever notice how the price of oil seems to drop when a new president is elected? This makes the development of alternate fuels more costly and discorages the new person from sponsering such programs.

We don't need to be manipulated by these things. I hope Obama has enough inexperience and is beholding to no one so that he will make the right decisions with a fresh and uncorrupted mind.

Otherwise, yes, we will continue on the road that we started on long ago, to be like a Latin American country, where the majority are poor with a small wealthy class and no middle class to speak of. Business seems to love masses of poor people - to exploit.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:40 PM

105 posts, read 213,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
The problem we have here is that people, more and more, distrust the government. THey, in my opinion, wanted a new fresh approach to solve these problems that we have. They are sick of the old network of people of questionable character in our government.

Congress tried to pass Nafta in the dead of night, when no one was watching. They did not actually READ Nafta when they did pass it.
That helps business, but many citizens think it's a huge mistake. Congress did not do their research.

Congress voted for the war, despite much information that there were no weapons of mass destruction. This also helped certain businesses. Congress, again, did not do their homework and acted hastily.

Congress repealed the safeguards put in place after the Great Depression to avoid it happening again. This benefited businesses. Again, they did not fully research this issue.

Congress voted for bailouts with no accountability - another hasty and bad choice.

People are getting fed up and trying something different. If things get much worse and the different choice does not work out - if this (pardon) cr@p keeps 'happening' people will really get fed up, and I agree, I am afraid we may lose our democracy - well, what we have left of it.

You see, business is a marvelous thing, but we have a government for a reason, and that is so influence from various sectors will not get out of balance. To protect things like the environment and the public good. Business in the US, and in much of the world, has gotten out of control and since its main concern is to make a profit, someone has to stand up for those who do not have equal power. That is the role of the government.

We are counting on Obama to rid us of this chokehold that business has on the public throat.

Ever notice how the price of oil seems to drop when a new president is elected? This makes the development of alternate fuels more costly and discorages the new person from sponsering such programs.

We don't need to be manipulated by these things. I hope Obama has enough inexperience and is beholding to no one so that he will make the right decisions with a fresh and uncorrupted mind.

Otherwise, yes, we will continue on the road that we started on long ago, to be like a Latin American country, where the majority are poor with a small wealthy class and no middle class to speak of. Business seems to love masses of poor people - to exploit.

The sweet Democrats and Republicans in the future will sell out the country in the future as it will be the easy way out of self inflicted problems.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:16 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,771,735 times
I think that things will turn sour sooner than anyone thinks. Obama is the same as Bush2, Clinton, Bush1, Reagan, Carter etc. They all talked about change, it is a buzzword that has no meaning. Obama supported the slush fund bailout, he has appointed his partners in crime to run the system, and is just another in the gravy rain. Once people realize he is nothing, the bailout will have multiplied and vanished. All we get is more debt that cannot be paid. Thank you Congress for your complete incompetance. This financial piracy should be the last straw for business and foreign investors who will hopefully start shunning US treasuries, if they have any business sense.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:22 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,985,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I think that things will turn sour sooner than anyone thinks. Obama is the same as Bush2, Clinton, Bush1, Reagan, Carter etc. They all talked about change, it is a buzzword that has no meaning. Obama supported the slush fund bailout, he has appointed his partners in crime to run the system, and is just another in the gravy rain. Once people realize he is nothing, the bailout will have multiplied and vanished. All we get is more debt that cannot be paid. Thank you Congress for your complete incompetance. This financial piracy should be the last straw for business and foreign investors who will hopefully start shunning US treasuries, if they have any business sense.
You know, I think government is like most big corporations. To get things done you have to compromise. You have to work with unsavory characters. You sometimes do things that you know are wrong because its the only way to get your 'good' things done.

If you want saints, you need a monastery, and we have even seen some of the worst examples of human behavior there.

The trick is not to leave this life, your job, etc, a saint - the trick is doing better, on the whole, than bad; and leaving things better than what you found them.

I don't see Obama as partners with any criminal. I would like to see documentation of that. He, like all of us, may know some people who have done questionable things during their lives. Hopefully, they have learned from these things and no longer partake in such activities.

Have you noticed how many really interesting people have had a screwup or two in their past? Some people are just types who take a chance and then learn from it. But the experience and the thought and reflection surrounding it have contributed to their growth and made them more interesting and observant than a lot who have lived 'safer' lives.

Obama seems to me, an idealist and sincere.
Bush, when he ran, said he was, but many of us saw through that.
If you know folks who have drunk heavily in their lives sometimes you can tell by the way they talk that all the cells are not engaged. Bush always seemed like that to me. Interviews with his teacher, on the media, showed him to be unfeeling and heartless and self-centered. His rude comment regarding his wife's opinion, 'So what?' was a giveaway of his screwed up brain.
A dumb self-serving president got us into this mess. Maybe one with smarts and idealism can get us out of it.
I don't get duplicity from Obama or Michelle. Do you see how free she is with her answers to questions, even if might not be the answers that make him look saintly?
No, I think he is secure enough in himself that he will welcome good ideas and brainstorming and not become defensive when disagreed with.
I think he will be an excellend pres, and the type of person we sorely require for these troubled times.
I think he will really try to solve our problems in an honest way.
I also think it will not be without pain for many of us, but what is, is.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:49 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,771,735 times
Jimmy Carter was intelligent, and looked sincere. I remember watching him talk on TV when I was in elementary school and look where the country went- nowhere. He still is involved with habitat for humanity so we can assume he is sincere. However, there is no way that anyone as president can change anything, even if he knows the right direction to go in. The legislature, a pack of theives, stands in the way. Obama is not even able to understand the economy, he supported the bailouts! This "change" has been promised for decades, but does he ever say "we need to rid ourselves of the Federal Reserve" or "we need to bring accountabliity back to Government" and back it up with a plan? No he cannot and will not. Otherwise he would not have been selected as president. Business as usual while the puppet tells the people what they want to hear. The bailouts are going to be back, though in the form of inflation.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:02 AM

27,218 posts, read 46,791,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
You know, I think government is like most big corporations. To get things done you have to compromise. You have to work with unsavory characters. You sometimes do things that you know are wrong because its the only way to get your 'good' things done.

If you want saints, you need a monastery, and we have even seen some of the worst examples of human behavior there.

The trick is not to leave this life, your job, etc, a saint - the trick is doing better, on the whole, than bad; and leaving things better than what you found them.

I don't see Obama as partners with any criminal. I would like to see documentation of that. He, like all of us, may know some people who have done questionable things during their lives. Hopefully, they have learned from these things and no longer partake in such activities.

Have you noticed how many really interesting people have had a screwup or two in their past? Some people are just types who take a chance and then learn from it. But the experience and the thought and reflection surrounding it have contributed to their growth and made them more interesting and observant than a lot who have lived 'safer' lives.

Obama seems to me, an idealist and sincere.
Bush, when he ran, said he was, but many of us saw through that.
If you know folks who have drunk heavily in their lives sometimes you can tell by the way they talk that all the cells are not engaged. Bush always seemed like that to me. Interviews with his teacher, on the media, showed him to be unfeeling and heartless and self-centered. His rude comment regarding his wife's opinion, 'So what?' was a giveaway of his screwed up brain.
A dumb self-serving president got us into this mess. Maybe one with smarts and idealism can get us out of it.
I don't get duplicity from Obama or Michelle. Do you see how free she is with her answers to questions, even if might not be the answers that make him look saintly?
No, I think he is secure enough in himself that he will welcome good ideas and brainstorming and not become defensive when disagreed with.
I think he will be an excellend pres, and the type of person we sorely require for these troubled times.
I think he will really try to solve our problems in an honest way.
I also think it will not be without pain for many of us, but what is, is.
You seem to forget that many people who can speak very well and people never expected to be different than what they saw....example: Madoff, and just watch tv and you will see many great smooth talkers who all turned out to be, not the person you expected them to be.

I can't agree with you about Obama, although I hope he will succeed, since this country can't afford to have a president screw up badly.

Why is there all the corruption coming out of his State...he left his seat and nothing but trouble is coming out of there...what did he change as a Senator? I haven't heard one thing or seen any proof, other than he is one of the best person who can deliver a speech...yes way better than Bush, but does that means he is capable of being a good president? Not IMO.
He has proven to have a huge lack of judgment and his pick for CIA person, yesterday doesn't make it look any better. The person he chose has no experience in the field and this is an important job.

Obama's pick for Bill Richardson, who screw the Clinton's and see what happened to him...one of the shortest carreer's in Washington...zero days!

I really want Obama to succeed although I never wished he would be the next president, but that is another issue....he was picked by the people and that means we have to support the next president, whoever it is and judge him on what he will deliver...so far the best thing was him being on the beach and in the water of Hawaii and trying to keep away from all the corruption and bad news from his home State...Am I suprised he travelled straight to Washington...:"hell no"...he doesn't want to be associated with that State, and who can blame him....he is after all a politician, as Rev. Wright has stated"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics