Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 06:01 PM

261 posts, read 1,515,791 times

Advertisements

The travel industry is said to be the fastest growing industry in the world and more people these days are becoming Independent Travel Agents. They have their own website and sell travel (flight, hotel, etc).

I am thinking about getting involved in this? Does anyone have any experiences to share? Or know of anyone who has been involved?

More importantly, is there really money to be made?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 07:24 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robzherenow View Post
The travel industry is said to be the fastest growing industry in the world and more people these days are becoming Independent Travel Agents. They have their own website and sell travel (flight, hotel, etc).

I am thinking about getting involved in this? Does anyone have any experiences to share? Or know of anyone who has been involved?

More importantly, is there really money to be made?
Whataya kidding? Since a few years ago all the airlines have done away with commissioning travel agents for selling tickets. In this age of internet, probably 99.8% of travelers use one of the many online travel sites right from the comfort of their own home.

Fastest growng industry? In this economic depression very few people are spending money. How can any industry grow? How many people are booking cruises or flights when they are using their VISA to buy groceries?

No....travel agents are not a growing industry. They are a dying breed and that industry has a short lifespan unless the internet drops from the face of the earth.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:51 PM

I didnt say that travel agents or travel agencies are a growing industry... I said "travel". Yes the U.S. economy has slowed but lets not be tunnel-visioned to think that people all over the world who need to travel has stopped traveling just because the U.S. economy slowed. Yes vacation sales may be down, but all travel doesnt involve people going on vacations. And who said anything about "airline commissioned" travel agents? Im talking about Indepent Travel Consultants/Agents (not working for any airline) who set up a webpage and market their services online. You said it yourself- In this age of internet, probably 99.8% of travelers use one of the many online travel sites right from the comfort of their own home."
Just this week alone I met people from Worldwide Travel, Traverus, etc. I was invited to a Traverus seminar the other day. So I wanted to see if anyone had anyone experiences with that.
I just want to make sure its not one of these pyramid schemes.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:24 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,969,727 times
Not only is vacation travel down... but with the economy business travel will also be decreasing. Unless you are a bank executive on the way to a spa resort of course

Most companies have been shifiting to technology (webinars, teleconferences) to reduce travel when possible. Tight budgets, expanding technology, time savings and a focus on "green initiatives" will probably further reduce business travel. People will always want to do business in person, but when things get tough we do what is necessary and travel is often a luxury.

I know a few mortgage and real estate agents that joined onto the travel web site gigs. Among all the other "online business plans" that have you selling a service or membership and recruiting a downline to do the same.... of course most are MLM schemes. Can money be made? Sure... for those at the top that recruit tons of people and for the company selling you the website.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:28 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,969,727 times
Not to mention, most businesses that do significant travel have discount plans with expedia, hotwire, travelocity, etc. Most consumers go there too so you have to do quite a lot of pitching (again, I know people in it and they market me all the time) to get someone to try your site and gamble on their flight/cruise versus going with one of the big names you can trust.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:16 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
I find it hard to believe there is a market for an independent travel agent. If you have the internet, you can make your own reservations. Also, the USA is not having this economic problem by themselves.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:34 AM

check out the following link about "big names we can trust":

Complaints Board | Travelocity Scam Revealed! Video

Old 01-03-2009, 06:36 AM

I actually did my research. Traverus and Worldwide Travel are network marketing companies. They make their money off recruiting new members. Thus, I will not be getting involved with that because it is not my cup of tea.

Thank you for everyone's feedback.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:11 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,856,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Whataya kidding? Since a few years ago all the airlines have done away with commissioning travel agents for selling tickets. In this age of internet, probably 99.8% of travelers use one of the many online travel sites right from the comfort of their own home.

Fastest growng industry? In this economic depression very few people are spending money. How can any industry grow? How many people are booking cruises or flights when they are using their VISA to buy groceries?

No....travel agents are not a growing industry. They are a dying breed and that industry has a short lifespan unless the internet drops from the face of the earth.
You are so right. When I need a hotel I go on Travelocity and book a room. With air tickets I go through the airlines. Since my wife, children and I cruise every year we book through the cruise company. I don't trust the small travel agencies. I had a bad experience 11 years ago when I booked a cruise to Bermuda with a local and very well know business. I came in to make a payment and he was moving his furniture and other business items out. I told him I would break his jaw if he did not give me back the $2k I gave him. He did. Since then I have always booked directly and the heck with the local people.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:08 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robzherenow View Post
I actually did my research. Traverus and Worldwide Travel are network marketing companies. They make their money off recruiting new members. Thus, I will not be getting involved with that because it is not my cup of tea.

Thank you for everyone's feedback.
Glad you checked it out. I was a travel agent back in the late 80's. Back when there was a travel agent on every corner. The internet has changed ALL of it. In the city I'm in where we once had them all over I can't find 10 in all of the metroplex NOW! I do my own research online and book my own travel online. I know what to watch for and how it works. A few things have changed over the years but the biggest change has been the cut in commissions paid to travel agents.

The only "travel agency" that is growing are these pyramid schemes. No thanks.

The only travel agents out there now with a job are those that work internally for a large corporation that books all reservations for that company. I'd be hard pressed to call them "travel agents" and I highly doubt they get any benefits that once were given out to travel agents like FAM trips and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics