Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 10:09 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,388,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
How nice it must be to have been in the workforce that long to have been able to save up years of savings. For those who have only been in the workforce for only a few years... good luck. We're the ones most likely going to be laid off... and we're the ones with the least amount of time to save up a support net.

Although we've saved up a meager six month emergency fund... we haven't had nearly enough years in the workforce to accumulate years of savings. I wish those who have only had a few years of work under their belts the best of luck. What's there to look down upon? We just haven't had as much time as you to prepare/save.

-chuck22b
Hi chuck22b,

In my earlier years I lived cheap and I mean real cheap. I had a regular corporate IT job and live in a small apartment worth free utilities and cable that was 12% of my gross. When I traveled young, I camped. Youth its it own source of wealth and I knew I could take anything. I had very quickly put myself in a position to last for years, early on due to low expenses and later on due to savings.

I do tend to notice and I remember in particular on a JOSB board someone making fun of someone who sold off a 100 shares or so of JOSB and another remarked mockingly "heavy hitter". It was probably 3k worth of stock. I also noticed the age of that person was 54. 250k for someone under 30 is loaded. 250k for someone who is 54 I consider broke. Using conservative doubling 250k under 30 is over 1 million in one's 50s. Again, I just wince at statically looking at these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics