Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:10 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,058,991 times

Advertisements

Looking back in U.S history, a man use to build his own home with is bare hands. Fast forward today, a man/woman does everything he or she can to get into huge debt for years in order to say; "I own a home" that was possibly built ( if it is newer) by foreign hands; what happened? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 04:12 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,278,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Looking back in U.S history, a man use to build his own home with is bare hands. Fast forward today, a man/woman does everything he or she can to get into huge debt for years in order to say; "I own a home" that was possibly built ( if it is newer) by foreign hands; what happened? Thoughts?
It became fashionable to push paper, grow fat and expect something for nothing.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:19 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,934,832 times
Cause the homes that people want are bigger, more complex, and greater resources than any one person can usually do themselves... If you want to build a smaller log home, you can do it but most people won't like it... sitting by kerosene lamps and closet-size room is not my idea of a "home"... So if we want bigger and better homes, its almost always through debt... so it comes down to choice... debt or an ugly home... mind you, your neighbors already made a decision to go into debt and get a nicer home... what are you going to do? Sit on a compost? Or get a flushable toilet? I would opt for the toilet even if it means debt... the finer things in life aren't free... that's what happened...

Old 02-23-2009, 06:06 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,936,829 times
The world tends to progress..! If you would like everything to stay the same way it was in 1900, you would find some of our modern inventions, and modern way if thinking, isn't so bad after all...
We all pay the price for progress, in different ways. We have to take the bad with the good...

Old 02-23-2009, 06:22 PM

5,271 posts, read 14,592,667 times
First, not everyone built their own homes. THey had builders and sub's back in the 1700's. Now, many more people back then built their own homes than today for a host of reasons:

* They had to in many cases as there were not people to help.

* Many had no money at all and if you had a few tools, you could slap something together- with no electricity, no plumbing, no foundation, no interior walls, no paint... They were easier to build and there were no regulations.

* We were substantially more rural back then and more people grew up on farms learning those skills.

And so on and so forth.

Today, houses have a ton of requirements to adhere to and they are substantially more complex. It's not easy to learn to build a house from scratch. Very few learn how to and do it right.

Last edited by BLAZER PROPHET; 02-23-2009 at 06:47 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Cause the homes that people want are bigger, more complex, and greater resources than any one person can usually do themselves... If you want to build a smaller log home, you can do it but most people won't like it... sitting by kerosene lamps and closet-size room is not my idea of a "home"... So if we want bigger and better homes, its almost always through debt... so it comes down to choice... debt or an ugly home... mind you, your neighbors already made a decision to go into debt and get a nicer home... what are you going to do? Sit on a compost? Or get a flushable toilet? I would opt for the toilet even if it means debt... the finer things in life aren't free... that's what happened...

Thanks for the reply..... As far as ugly, I have seen some beautiful log homes on some pretty pristine land...

Old 02-23-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
The world tends to progress..! If you would like everything to stay the same way it was in 1900, you would find some of our modern inventions, and modern way if thinking, isn't so bad after all...
We all pay the price for progress, in different ways. We have to take the bad with the good...

Yes of course (and I'm not debating you) but as we move into the future I'm not seeing that everybody gets to benefit in the creation of wealth.

I know the report is on the net somewhere but the average wages have not kept up with the average cost of living and due to this fact people are hardly even home anymore to enjoy there family let alone many of the products that they buy.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:48 PM

5,271 posts, read 14,592,667 times
Quote:
Yes of course (and I'm not debating you) but as we move into the future I'm not seeing that everybody gets to benefit in the creation of wealth.

I know the report is on the net somewhere but the average wages have not kept up with the average cost of living and due to this fact people are hardly even home anymore to enjoy there family let alone many of the products that they buy.
Stick around... houses are becoming more affordable all the time.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
First, not everyone built their own homes. THey had builders and sub's back in the 1700's. Now, many more people back then built their own homes than today for a host of reasons:

* They had to in many cases as there were not people to help.

* Many had no money at all and if you had a few tools, you could slap something together- with no electricity, no plumbing, no foundation, no interior walls, no paint... They were easier to build and there were no regulations.

* We were substantially more rural back then and more people grew up on farms learning those skills.

And so on and so forth.

Today, houses have a ton of requirements to adhere to and they are substantially more complex. It's not easy to learn to build a house from scratch. Very few learn hot to and do it right.

So, with your knoledge, is it worth it in 2009 to try and build your own small 1 story home??

BTW, I do know my grandpa build an addition on his home and it worked out great; this may be another option; to buy a small house and add on to it at a latter date.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:59 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,934,832 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply..... As far as ugly, I have seen some beautiful log homes on some pretty pristine land...
I am not talking about modern log homes, they require builders... I am talking about back-in-the-day-of-Lincoln era of log homes... you know log homes the size of your closet... you can build that... anything else is going to need a team of people to build... as well as heavy machinery... something you aren't likely to have...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics