Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you affected by this economy
Greatly- lost job and house 4 5.63%
Yes - lost job with no prospects 12 16.90%
Partially - Cut back hours late on payments 11 15.49%
Not at all - Everything is peachy 44 61.97%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:52 PM

45,331 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

How accurate do you think this poll is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 08:35 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Yeah, my answer wasn't up there. I'm peachy in that I still have a job to go to every day and I'm still able to keep the bills paid.

But psychologically I'm scared $h!tless. My next door neighbor-who worked for the same company as I- was laid off along with over 2000 others and there are more to come....at least 500 more. And if the stocks continue to tank it's only going to get worse. Eventually I will get canned as well. I don't know the percentage of certainty but if the trend continues the whole opperation will shut down. In the back of my mind I know this is the direction we're headed.

Meanwhile I don't have enough margin between income and expenses to save nearly enough for a long term bout of unemployment. Half of my 401k is gone...it's now a 200.5k. I've got some savings and the ability to sell some items to stay afloat but eventually I, along with my family are going to be out on our a$$e$ if I'm unemployed for longer than 6 months. Fortunately both of our parents are still alive and have their homes paid for so we'll never really be homeless but that would certainly be a humbling experience to come home with my tail between my legs with my wife and 3 kids behind me.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:22 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Fortunately both of our parents are still alive and have their homes paid for so we'll never really be homeless but that would certainly be a humbling experience to come home with my tail between my legs with my wife and 3 kids behind me.
We have just been raised with a seperationalist mentality. Not so long ago in history, it was completely normal for three generations to reside in the same household. No shame about it.

We should helping each other out, if needed. My parents or relatives would do the same for me, and I would do the same for my parents, my relatives, or any of my close friends (assuming a tragic financial situation out of their control).

Old 03-03-2009, 08:27 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
SS gives annual raises and so do many pensions. There are those who've lived below their income (and can still save with SS and pension). They should be OK. The gamut of income for retirees is wide-ranging. I was surprised to read some of the incomes in the CD Retirement forum.

But I think it's a damn dirty shame what many people have to go through - through no fault of their own. Heartbreaking.

Yeah until pensions and social security go bankrupt. At some time they will become obsolete.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:45 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Depressing, I don't get it. Almost 2/3 has said that everything is great and the economy has not affected them at all.
I guess I looked at it as almost 40% of people are having issues, while only about 60% are 'peachy.'

Old 03-03-2009, 12:37 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
My answer isn't on the poll either but that's ok. I am scared but I am still making it so far. My income has gone down but I still have the job I have loved for the past 12 years so I can't complain too much. Savings are gone though due to a couple of emergencies. I am upside down on my mortgage by about 50k but I have no plans on moving in the near future so I can hopefully ride this out. I did lose my health insurance last week thanks to the end of my Cobra run but I will not miss paying almost $ 500 a month for just me. Of course I have illness so while I no longer pay $ 500 for ins, I will now have to pay almost $ 1000 a month for my medicine. Throw in some credit cards and the utilities and food and I have to admit I am now living check to check. But still there are a lot of people a whole lot worse off than I am so I can't complain too much. Things could always be much worse and I am sure many people would change places with me in a heartbeat.

So hang in there all of those who are having problems and just keep doing the best you can and ignore anyone who puts you down.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:27 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Yeah until pensions and social security go bankrupt. At some time they will become obsolete.
Not gonna happen. A nationwide riot would take place, and the politicians know this. It's all about image, and the government itself would be responsible - not corporations - and the government wants/needs to look good. Politicians want to get re-elected; parties want to stay in power.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:48 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Not gonna happen. A nationwide riot would take place, and the politicians know this. It's all about image, and the government itself would be responsible - not corporations - and the government wants/needs to look good. Politicians want to get re-elected; parties want to stay in power.
Never say never. Our country is out of money and soon "no one" is going to want to help us out of our greed and corrupt ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics