Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:29 AM

89 posts, read 262,093 times

Advertisements

Thats right, I have a feeling this story is just starting. Starting to make the rounds, our great Treasury secretary was the man who was involved with the contracts on the bonuses.

This AIG Product division is going to go down as the worst Division in the history of hedge funds and just as well, Mr. Geitner will go down as the worst Treasury Secretary.

This is not about politics, I voted for Obama and agree with what he said about these derivative traders, but this is my last straw with Geinter.

He has to go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 09:39 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,915 times
Do you have a link for this?

Don't you think this would have come out in his Senate approval hearing? In the media?

How about ANY evidence for your statement?

Old 03-17-2009, 09:53 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Not sure about the bonuses, but I wouldn't be suprised.

Geithner and Paulson and Bernanke were indeed the original sponsors of the whole TARP fund bank bailout mess in 2008, including the massive bailouts to AIG. He is definetly working hand and hand with AIG although I don't know if that includes compensation negotiation. He definetly has some close working relationship with executives there.

Nevertheless, I find Obama's and Geithner's proclamation of "outrage" at the bonuses hilarious and cynical to the core. I hope people see right through that.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:05 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Geithner and Paulson are embedded in this system. They are not ex-University professors or informed observers. We have ex-Goldman Sachs employees, Ex-Federal Reserve bank of New York, IMF, FOMC and Council on Foreign Relations. etc. These guys have been in the middle of this for more than a decade. Lets dispense with the Geithner is new nonsense.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:10 AM

Dd714, you hit it right on the head. They are "outraged." What a joke. Again, I voted for Obama and hope things turn around, but man, talk about politics of the old.
Broadbill this was in either the New York Times or Post way back when in November. Talk radio is running wild(suprise, suprise since they are conservative)

Again where is the outrage over Geitner. I mean, real outrage. The guy cheats his taxes, then helps put together a contract where these derivative traders can legally keep their bonuses, but then comes out "outraged."

This is double talk to the unth degree.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:36 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
If you vote for most of the candidates in the major parties you are voting for the same party. Omaba is a CRF member. The CFR is a one party system that allows us to choose one of their candidates.

Obama & The CFR | NowPublic News Coverage

I will never vote for anyone linked to this group and I doubt I will ever vote for a Democrat or a Republican again.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:43 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,307,014 times
"Sen. Richard Shelby, the ranking Republican on the Senate Banking Committee, chastised the administration earlier Tuesday, saying Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner should have blocked the payouts. Shelby charged that Geithner either knew or should have known about the bonuses. (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Reid-Congress-intends-to-apf-14664278.html - broken link)

"We need to know, what are the details of this? When were the bonuses signed up? Who's getting it?" Shelby said. (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Reid-Congress-intends-to-apf-14664278.html - broken link)

The Alabama senator stopped short of calling for Geithner's resignation, but said, "He's under fire from all sides now." (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Reid-Congress-intends-to-apf-14664278.html - broken link)

"I don't know if he should resign over this," Shelby said. "He works for the president of the United States. But I can tell you, this is just another example of where he seems to be out of the loop." (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Reid-Congress-intends-to-apf-14664278.html - broken link)

Old 03-17-2009, 11:44 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,307,014 times
AIG paid 73 employees bonuses of $1 million or more; 11 of whom are no longer there, according to NY Atty. Gen. Cuomo

Old 03-17-2009, 12:37 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,575 times
And here's something no one talks about while the administration is supposedly outraged over bonuses.

Calculated Risk: AIG Discloses Counterparties

Old 03-17-2009, 12:45 PM

Yep it is all connected, Paulson with Goldman, Big Ben, etc. Geitner has got to go or I have lost all faith in Obama. I voted for him knowing it will take time with the economy, health care, etc.
But this has gotten crazy with Geitner, either he is so nieve he should not be Treasury Secretary(my hope) or he is knowingly doing this and a complete liar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics