Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 12:18 PM

111 posts, read 258,891 times

Advertisements

I have one thing to tell, do not get discouraged when you do not get the job. It's very common that companies take longer than they say to get back. A lot do not even get back. Very seldom have I gotten feedback from a potential employer as to why I didn't get the job. Maybe the other candidate had an extra valuable skill I didn't have or a few years more experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 03:11 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,693,022 times
Everything I do is pretty much contracting so I have to constantly knock on doors.

What I find that is works is:

1. Keep it short and sweet. Long drawn out cover letters or emails or resumes don't work. I've seen the "experts" say otherwise but in my experience it has never got results and honestly I don't believe people have time to read all that stuff realistically.

2. Most of my jobs have come from recommendations from other people I have worked with. In fact I remember one company I emailed and called for a year with no response at all. Someone put in a good word for me and I got called and my interview and hiring call lasted 3 minutes and 18 seconds. So find someone that can give you a good recommendation or referral.

3. Don't give up. Don't harass people but stay in contact if you want the job.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:16 PM

929 posts, read 2,093,757 times
Thumbs up Persistence pays off in the end

The hiring process can take some time. Many times it is beyond the control of the person making the hiring decision. Keep in contact. Always send a Thank you note to the individual that conducted the interview. You don't want to call back so often that you annoy the individual, but keep the lines of communication open, so that they know that you are still interested in the position. Sometimes their first choice falls through and this contact can make the difference. Don't give up, keep looking for other opportunities. Persistence pays off in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics