Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 06:10 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No I'm not. 1 You're interpreting through your own anti-rich lens. 2 Re-read what you posted in your second post: "....refutes frequent claims that rich folks are the ones supporting our economy......". There is a difference between compliance and the point you're trying to make. 3 No, it doesn't, only in your mind with your particular sense of aggrievement that any one who makes more money than you has to be a crook.
Semantics.

Bottom line: There are wealthy folks not paying what they should be paying.

All I hear on this board is "the rich pay all of our taxes!!" No, they do not. They pay some of our taxes, but not all of what they should be paying.

Why is that hard for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 06:17 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Semantics.

All I hear on this board is "the rich pay all of our taxes!!" No, they do not. They pay some of our taxes, but not all of what they should be paying.

Not hard at all, what's hard is trying to make sense of what you're saying. You're trying to make a political point that the "rich" aren't taxed enough by using an article about compliance.

Does it hurt to be as stupid as you are?

Old 04-12-2009, 06:21 PM

Arithmetic.

Law states "pay X% of your income" + Person does not pay that amount = Noncompliance.

Noncompliance = not paying what they should be paying. It's not about "not being taxed enough", it's the simple fact that they're not paying what they should be paying. If they owe $500,000 yet pay $100,000, they didn't pay what they were supposed to pay.

It's easy. So easy, a caveman could do it.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:21 PM

298 posts, read 716,316 times
Quote:
Semantics.

It's hard because the data does not support that statement.

"The nearby chart shows that the top 1% of taxpayers, those who earn above $388,806, paid 40% of all income taxes in 2006, the highest share in at least 40 years. The top 10% in income, those earning more than $108,904, paid 71%. "

Their Fair Share - WSJ.com

Every citizen should pay the taxes they are legally required to pay.

In the fraud triangle, three factors are generally present when someone commits fraud. Opportunity is one of those factors.

http://aaahq.org/audit/midyear/03mid...Srivastava.pdf

Because of our complicated tax code, there are more opportunities for people with more income from a greater variety of sources to commit tax fraud than there are for people who earn paycheck from one employer who deducts taxes. It makes sense then that when there is more opportunity to commit fraud, there are more people who commit fraud. This in no way implies that rich people are less moral than poor people.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:02 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Arithmetic.

Law states "pay X% of your income" + Person does not pay that amount = Noncompliance.

Noncompliance = not paying what they should be paying. It's not about "not being taxed enough", it's the simple fact that they're not paying what they should be paying. If they owe $500,000 yet pay $100,000, they didn't pay what they were supposed to pay.

It's easy. So easy, a caveman could do it.
But that's not the point you've been trying to make. Your point, I think from your meanderings, is that the 'wealthy' are less moral or something.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVbulldawg View Post
It's hard because the data does not support that statement.

"The nearby chart shows that the top 1% of taxpayers, those who earn above $388,806, paid 40% of all income taxes in 2006, the highest share in at least 40 years. The top 10% in income, those earning more than $108,904, paid 71%. "

Their Fair Share - WSJ.com

Every citizen should pay the taxes they are legally required to pay.

In the fraud triangle, three factors are generally present when someone commits fraud. Opportunity is one of those factors.

http://aaahq.org/audit/midyear/03mid...Srivastava.pdf

Because of our complicated tax code, there are more opportunities for people with more income from a greater variety of sources to commit tax fraud than there are for people who earn paycheck from one employer who deducts taxes. It makes sense then that when there is more opportunity to commit fraud, there are more people who commit fraud. This in no way implies that rich people are less moral than poor people.
As a personal note, I would rather give more credence to a report that the IRS willfully avoided publishing (the MSN Moneycentral article I posted) over a chart that they threw together to try and debunk Obama ( the Wall Street Journal link you posted ). The IRS does not want true transparency into the tax situation. To do so is to effectively guarantee that tax reform is right around the corner - and depending on which way that dog lies, could mean a lot of highly paid IRS chaps losing their nest eggs.

Be Careful, Even IRS Employees Are Capable of Tax Fraud (http://ezinearticles.com/?Be-Careful,-Even-IRS-Employees-Are-Capable-of-Tax-Fraud&id=2174714 - broken link)

IRS is a dirty shop, period. I'm not absolving them of anything nor am I putting lower class on a pedestal. I'm simply stating that, if your tax rate is 30%, pay 30%. While that applies to all equally, the rich are even more critical, because if they would pay what they owe, we'd likely have less increases.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:06 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times
Largest cheats are the rich? I guess that means Congress especially.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:12 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
I don't care what anyone says... the tax code is impossible for a lay person to understand...

Hey, if Secretary of the Treasury Geitner, the person in charge can't even get it right... what can we do but to do our best.

The H&R Block ads running claim something like 90% of the returns they check have errors.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Semantics.

They still pay a large per centge of the federal taxs and in many cases local and state taxes. In fact every once in a while there is a estmate of just what the federal government would take in if all income was reported and its huge.You have to remember that just like everything else that incomne tax isn't the only federal tax paid which is why the top 10% pay overwheming the largest share of taxes.You statement is only correct in that you say ALL the taxes which I have never heard before in the forums. What they should bne paying is the question no doubt but that applies to evryone really. amny pay no taxes that are noit rich and some even get mnoey returned when they paid nothing.That is why a falt tax with no deductions IMO is fair and is supported by more and more people.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:48 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,501 times
I don't see what the big deal is here. If someone wants to break the law then thats up to them. They are the ones who will get in trouble for it. Why worry about what someone else makes or how much taxes they pay? Worry about yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics