Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 08:28 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
..and so therefore you didn't get the job, and you had to become a teacher, and now you're angry at everyone who doesn't understand the awful burden that poor Gen X had to bear.

I don't buy your argument that your generation was "Shut out" of the 1990's tech boom. I seem to recall the late 1990's as a time of the $50,000/year call center employee and $80,000/year HTML coder. The NASDAQ rose 65% from 1990-1995, and then 410% from 1995-2000.

Looks to me like the economy was doing fine in the 1990's.
http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2000/12/art1full.pdf
I worked in banking after I graduated college with my business degree in 1995 so I don't know where you are coming from. When banking began to go sour five or six years ago many of us left for other career opportunities. I completed my maters in education, and began a second career. If you have not noticed people are making the decision to go back to college and earn a new career. The X generation was shut out and the opportunities the baby boomers took for granted are now gone, did away by the same generation which went from hippies to yuppies. By the way the call center jobs which you talk about are in India and the Philippines so I don't know what you are talking about in terms of big salaries. They are gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 08:31 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
I worked in banking after I graduated college with my business degree so I don't know where you are coming from. When banking began to go sour five or six years ago many of us left for other career opportunities. I completed my maters in education, and began a second career. If you have not noticed people are making the decision to go back to college and earn a new career.

The X generation was shut out and the opportunities the baby boomers took for granted are now gone, did away by the same generation use them to transfer themselves from hippies to yuppies.
"You don't know where I am coming from..."

..and then you persist with your baseless claims, ignoring all evidence I presented against it.

I wouldn't have hired you either.

Quote:
By the way the call center jobs which you talk about are in India and the Philippines so I don't know what you are talking about in terms of big salaries. They are gone.
Yes, they are gone, just like the 1990's in which they occured.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:

..and then you proceed to continue your claims, ignoring all evidence I presented against it.

They were disappearing in the 1990s. They were the next phase of job losses meant to increase profits for big corporations and robe the U.S. of valuable buying power.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:

..and then you persist with your baseless claims, ignoring all evidence I presented against it.

I wouldn't have hired you either.

Your evidence is full of conjecture not truth.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Sounds to me liike being a government contractor that they may have needed to hire a woman ;plain and simple. It had little to do with any perceived threat you were.If you actaully listened to your academic then surelty you know by now he didn't know what he was talking about.If they were not familar with your resume ;they really had litlte interest in hiring you most likely even if you were a woman.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Sounds to me liike being a government contractor that they may have needed to hire a woman ;plain and simple. It had little to do with any perceived threat you were.If you actaully listened to your academic then surelty you know by now he didn't know what he was talking about.If they were not familar with your resume ;they really had litlte interest in hiring you most likely even if you were a woman.
No, the company I worked for before completing my BS in business administration, American Cyanamid was the government contractor which took weeks to do a back ground check prior to hiring me.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:00 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
WAaaaaH! It's all the boomer's fault!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics