Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:22 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
Why wouldn't it be Penske's call? He didn't buy Saturn just so the government could tell him how to run his company.

With that said, it's probably way too soon to assume that the manufacturing will take place in China.
I have a feeling that decison has already been made. What entity does not make decisions abouts it future so that it may stay profitable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 10:35 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
I have a feeling that decison has already been made. What entity does not make decisions abouts it future so that it may stay profitable?
What's your point here? (Not trying to be rude - I just don't understand what you're trying to say)

Since Penske is not receiving any government funds, the government has no business telling it how it can or where it can produce cars. It doesn't matter that Saturn was purchased as part of a bankruptcy proceeding.

I suspect that for the time being, Saturns will continue to be produced in the United States. My only hope is that they return to their origins and produce unique and efficient cars - something GM sort of screwed up.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:48 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Besides which it looks likje Fait will be bring in their branks under the chrysler label. The general motors is bring in more models they make in china and other places. Looking at past cars it seems this has been going on for decades.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:25 PM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Many of the more desirable cars, full size vehicles or SUVs and trucks will be built in China or overseas. US car companies will build the smaller econoboxes. China will make the profit, US cars will cost more and be subsidized by taxpayers and won't be profitable.
Penske at least deserves credit for trying to keep a US car company going and privately run in an era where old style capitalism is being dismantled. Don't blame him for having to deal with economic conditions he didn't create.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Besides which it looks likje Fait will be bring in their branks under the chrysler label. The general motors is bring in more models they make in china and other places. Looking at past cars it seems this has been going on for decades.
That' what I fear will happen to saturn. Who is going to buy their cars once we are all working for Walmart?

Old 06-07-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
What's your point here? (Not trying to be rude - I just don't understand what you're trying to say)

Since Penske is not receiving any government funds, the government has no business telling it how it can or where it can produce cars. It doesn't matter that Saturn was purchased as part of a bankruptcy proceeding.

I suspect that for the time being, Saturns will continue to be produced in the United States. My only hope is that they return to their origins and produce unique and efficient cars - something GM sort of screwed up.
I don't understand what you are saying. We bailed out GM and that includes Saturn. Now you are saying we are going back to Smith's idea of capitalism in terms of Saturn's future. I think it's Amercian to have your cake and eat it too!

Old 06-08-2009, 06:35 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Detroit businessman Roger Penske's move to acquire General Motors' troubled Saturn brand and dealer network could be pioneering -- the start of a new strategy for selling cars and trucks in the United States, experts said Friday.
"The proposed acquisition marks the beginning of a new business model in this industry," wrote [Jack Nerad of Kelley Blue Book], "a model in which the distribution side of the business controls the brand, and manufacturing is conducted by one or more sub-contractors."
http://www.freep.com/article/20090606/BUSINESS01/906060412 (broken link)
So they'll be a marketing company? Great. Lots of added value there.

I hope they do well, but on the surface this sound like a bad idea.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:02 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
While I see failure in their future I believe this is preferable to what has happened to GM and chrysler.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
While I see failure in their future I believe this is preferable to what has happened to GM and chrysler.
Saturn did it's self in when they decided to build larger cars and SUV’s and move away from the smaller but more affordable cars which seemed to get people's attention in the 90's. GM could have used Saturn as the test ground for green cars but dropped the ball some time ago.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:33 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,795,107 times
Henry Ford showed us what a manufacturer is supposed to do. He found ways to drive down the manufacturing cost, and gave people cheap, reliable transportation that was easy to maintain. Function came before form, and people flocked to buy them.

A hundred years later, Ford's vehicles are so expensive that people are borrowing against their homes or taking out 7 year loans to buy one. We have leather interiors, GPS, video, and the company spends hundreds of millions of dollars making the vehicles look pretty, but mechanically they're designed so poorly that you have to pull the cabs off of their trucks to perform basic maintenance like changing spark plugs or replacing a fuel pump. Form has become more important than function, and the company is struggling.

Penske/Saturn could do well if they remember this lesson, and they could do even better if they decided to have their products built entirely in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics