Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 10:21 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,945 times

Advertisements

This situation is not a problem at all. Don't be getting all worried and upset about it...

Call them up, negotiate a smaller bill all you can while explaining your financial situation and offer to send them $20 a month. They will accept that and it won't go to collections as long as you are paying on it ! You won't miss $20 a month.

NOW... If they tell you what ever attempt you offer is unacceptable, get that in writing (good luck) or record the conversation of them telling you your attempt to pay your bill, what ever attempt you offer, is not acceptable. Once you have that, the debt can easily be discharged without issue...

My wife, before we got married, had a medical bill (very large one too) discharged completely because the hospital refused to accept her attempt to pay on it. She had no issue what so ever after speaking with the billing dept supervisor and informing them she had a recording of their rep refusing to accept her payment therefore she was no longer obligated to pay it. Never herd or seen anything about it ever again... and she still has the tape of the conversation ! That was years ago too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 04:15 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I notice that little "MD" after your name.. I'd assume that means "doctor" and your not objective enough to answer the OP question
This isn't about THIS particular situation. This is about life! I think I can be just as objective about life as the next person. In my experience, people who dont take accountability for their own actions and situation do not do well in life. I'd like to think I have done pretty well, and I completely attribute it to my accountability for every aspect of my life. Again, it's a question of character. I'm not judging this girl. As I have said, we have all been there. And her decision really doesn't effect me personally. I am merely giving her advice on becoming a happy and successful adult.

I am really curious to know what you disagree with:

Was the cop wrong for sending her to the hospital?
Were the doctors and nurses wrong for treating a girl who was passed out drunk?
Was I wrong for telling her that people should pay off their debts?

Which of these do you have a problem with, and what would be YOUR solution?

Old 07-02-2009, 05:12 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Insane traveler,

I have done the same thing (drunk in the hospital) multiple times, so do not feel bad about. My advice is to completely ignore the hospital and/or collection agency. I also do not have health insurance so I know how this works. You need to tell the collection agency that you are unemployed. It works every time. Whatever you do, do not tell them you are graduating college and are going to get a good job. Then, they will go after you. As long as you tell them you are poor and unemployed, they will completely write it off. I currently have 2 hospitals in Las Vegas in the last 3 years that are on my credit report for a total of $9,000!!! I simply told them I am a low paid security guard who barely survives which happens to be the truth. They will put it on your credit report, but most creditor's could care less about hospital bills anyways. It also will not affect your score that much. I have like 6 bad entries on my credit report because of the Ambulances, doctors, and hospitals suing me separately. Still, my credit score is 655 which is not all that bad.

Hope this helps

Old 07-02-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Insane traveler,

I have done the same thing (drunk in the hospital) multiple times, so do not feel bad about. My advice is to completely ignore the hospital and/or collection agency. I also do not have health insurance so I know how this works. You need to tell the collection agency that you are unemployed. It works every time. Whatever you do, do not tell them you are graduating college and are going to get a good job. Then, they will go after you. As long as you tell them you are poor and unemployed, they will completely write it off. I currently have 2 hospitals in Las Vegas in the last 3 years that are on my credit report for a total of $9,000!!! I simply told them I am a low paid security guard who barely survives which happens to be the truth. They will put it on your credit report, but most creditor's could care less about hospital bills anyways. It also will not affect your score that much. I have like 6 bad entries on my credit report because of the Ambulances, doctors, and hospitals suing me separately. Still, my credit score is 655 which is not all that bad.

Hope this helps
And on that note...

I rest my case.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
And on that note...

I rest my case.
I do not know what you mean by that, but I do have lots of experience with this. I had one hospital stay back in 2000, and it disappeared off my credit report 2 years ago. Hospitals overcharge insurance companies to compensate for people who have no insurance and can not pay. They write off pretty much all of them each year. I gave the girl good advice that has worked for me many of times.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:08 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I am really curious to know what you disagree with:
The part I disagree with? mmm, maybe the OP, if they were intoxicated enough to not know what they were doing was not in a position to concent to be treated, thereby not able in a capacitated mind to agree to pay a bill. You do know the difference between someone choosing to pay a bill and one that is forced upon them dont you? Lets not even discuss the fact that anyone who pays cash for their hospital stay usually overpays to compensate for insurance/government underpayments.

Do I think this is an excuse to be so drunk that one can not concent to their own hospital care? Absolutely not, I've never had a drink in my life, however if your going to take care of someone who was not able to concent to be treated, then you shouldnt be surprised when they dont concent to pay when they are in a frame of mind to choose.

Are they legally obligated to pay the bill? Most likely, however it could be legally argued that they arent since one needs to be in a legal capacity to concent to contractural oblgations, they are not. Maybe the OP should have been arrested for drunk and disorderly conduct instead but they dont say the reason the "medical" care was treated.

Last edited by pghquest; 07-02-2009 at 08:01 AM..

Old 07-02-2009, 08:29 AM

901 posts, read 2,988,243 times
To the OP, you do not want to ruin your credit now. If you are graduating, I assume you are going to be looking for an apartment in the near future. Getting an apartment with poor credit is very difficult. Like others said, go on a payment plan or something.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The part I disagree with? mmm, maybe the OP, if they were intoxicated enough to not know what they were doing was not in a position to concent to be treated, thereby not able in a capacitated mind to agree to pay a bill. You do know the difference between someone choosing to pay a bill and one that is forced upon them dont you? Lets not even discuss the fact that anyone who pays cash for their hospital stay usually overpays to compensate for insurance/government underpayments.

Do I think this is an excuse to be so drunk that one can not concent to their own hospital care? Absolutely not, I've never had a drink in my life, however if your going to take care of someone who was not able to concent to be treated, then you shouldnt be surprised when they dont concent to pay when they are in a frame of mind to choose.

Are they legally obligated to pay the bill? Most likely, however it could be legally argued that they arent since one needs to be in a legal capacity to concent to contractural oblgations, they are not. Maybe the OP should have been arrested for drunk and disorderly conduct instead but they dont say the reason the "medical" care was treated.
Thats not how it works. If the patient is incapacitated in an emergency situation as perceived by the care giver, informed consent is LEGALLY implied. Otherwise EMTs, doctors, and nurses would all be subject to assault charges on every emergency where the patient is incapacitated. The care givers are legally obligated to do everything in their power to save the patient. The only thing that supersedes this is a DNR or living will ON HAND at the time of the intervention.

If the cop just arrested her, and she died in the jail cell, would you support her family's right to sue the police? If so, you are not leaving many options open to the police officer here.

I could ALMOST see your point in a head injury case as the person with the head injury may bear no responsibility for the hospitalization, but intoxication is a clear case of irresponsible behavior leading to this big hospital bill. Of course, with the head injury case, I would think the person would be so grateful that his life was saved that he would WANT to pay his bill, but thats another story.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I do not know what you mean by that, but I do have lots of experience with this. I had one hospital stay back in 2000, and it disappeared off my credit report 2 years ago. Hospitals overcharge insurance companies to compensate for people who have no insurance and can not pay. They write off pretty much all of them each year. I gave the girl good advice that has worked for me many of times.
What I mean is that you are a leech on society, and you are promoting other's becoming leeches on society. I dont know where you get your information from, but people like you are the reason many hospitals close AND why health insurance is so expensive. What makes you think you have the right to repeatedly act stupid, end up in the hospital, and force others to pay for your care? You are no better than a career welfare recipient. It's bad enough that people who really need care through no fault of their own cant afford it, but YOU tax the system out of mere selfishness.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
To the OP, you do not want to ruin your credit now. If you are graduating, I assume you are going to be looking for an apartment in the near future. Getting an apartment with poor credit is very difficult. Like others said, go on a payment plan or something.
This is completely untrue, apartments and car creditors can care less about hospital bills. If you do not believe me, call them and ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics