Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should credit card interest rates have a hard cap?
yes, they need to be capped 23 56.10%
no, they do not need to be capped 17 41.46%
not sure 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 07:57 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,954,783 times

Advertisements

I'd cap credit card rates, but not for the reasons stated.

I think the banks have been extremely reckless in lending far more to people than they can reasonably pay back. The bank makes up for that by charging exhorbitant interest rates to the highest risk people, and most of them are too stupid and short-sighted to know what it's costing them, so they keep carrying balances.

If interest rates were capped (I'd propose a spread over prime rate, rather than a hard cap), it would force the banks to be more careful about their credit limits, and many people who can't handle credit would be denied this. This would be a good thing, but of course, the politicians like Dodd who play to nitwits would howl about this result. Be careful what you wish for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 11:56 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times
Who cares about interest rates? They could be 100% as far as I care. I prefer the other method, generate income, convert to gold or silver, save it up and cash in when you want to buy. For other items just save a few months and spend. Simple and stress-free. There should be the freedom to increase interest rates on any unsecured debt as long as the borrower has the freedom to simply stop paying. If the borrower is forced to pay then interest rates should be regulated.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:16 PM

929 posts, read 2,093,116 times
I say we should just make credit cards illegal along with the other loan sharks, like pay day lenders. If we want to go around kicking the poor, we should just all wear steel toed shoes.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:43 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times
when will the banks be held accountable for their own behavior? taxpayers are still tied into risk bank practices and there has been NOTHING to stop that behavior.

as the stimulus gets withdrawn, this should get interesting.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:22 AM

975 posts, read 1,755,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

as the stimulus gets withdrawn, this should get interesting.
LOL...Good one!....LOL!

Stimulus withdrawn...LOL!

Anyone who thinks they're going to withdraw the stimulus and just let things crash out is nuttier than the stimulators themselves. Mark my words, the stimulus has zero chance of being withdrawn too early and 100% chance of being withdrawn too late if Berneke is in the picture.

He may be the only person to ever suffer PTSD from an event he didn't even personally experience.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:51 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times
i don't think that bernanke has any interest in withdrawing the stimulus (even with the lies about our great economic recovery) but who said that the united states is in the position to call all the shots?

Old 11-01-2009, 09:45 AM

975 posts, read 1,755,494 times
There are tons of ways to work around the problems with the banks and the US gov't has absolute power to do whatever they want in that respect. Don't be fooled. Giving the banks money, changing accounting rules, whatever it takes, the message is loud and clear that those deemed to big to fail will be protected no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics