Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:50 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,326,677 times

Advertisements

How can successful business models be adapted for emerging markets? Where are these emerging markets, and which offer greatest long and short term potential? And you may say to yourself this is not my beautiful house, and you may say to yourself this is not my beautiful wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 07:57 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,268,634 times
Got 24/28 right - 86% - with lots of time to spare.

Good test - definitely not a predictor of how well someone will do in business, but someone who does well in business will likely do well on it.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:00 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,430,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejj2004 View Post
Really what kind of questions would be better for how to run a business or do well in business?
I don't think you can ask a series of questions that will accurately predict how well someone will do in business. First, the category of "business" is much too broad to ask relevant questions that will apply to all types of business owners. Second, running a successful business doesn't really have anything to do with answering a series of questions correctly.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:41 AM

77 posts, read 238,387 times
9-28

Old 11-12-2009, 12:36 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,383,085 times
I got 67% (I completed the test quickly - first "gut" response)... LOL... And I run a business. Here is my list of questions for someone who wants to run a business... I have no idea how to create an objective survey that can test for all this...

• Do you have the strong passion/drive for it?
  • Are you a leader?
  • Are you a risk-taker?
  • Do you dream big?
  • Do you thrive on creating something new?
  • Do you have lots of business ideas floating in your head - all the time?
  • Can you work with complete freedom and without direction from others?
  • Can you take complete responsibility for failures and learn/grow from these experiences?
  • Are you highly confident with yourself and your business model?
  • Can you think quickly on your feet and be aggressive in business?
  • Are you hard-working with an amazing amount of energy?
  • Are you very goal-oriented/results driven?
  • Are you highly competitive?
  • Can you juggle many tasks/wear many hats?
  • Are you able to see the "big picture" for the strategic direction of your business?
  • Can you operate your business at a loss for up to 3 years (the average time it takes many businesses to become profitable)?
  • Do you have a solid business plan?
  • Are you completely customer focused?
  • Do you thoroughly understand the opportunities in the industry/market in which you want to work?
  • Can you react quickly and smartly to take advantage of market trends?
  • Are you good at sales, marketing, and networking?
  • Do you have a good working knowledge of accounting/managing cashflow, operations, and how to continually finance your business?
  • Can you closely control/negotiate costs, track performance, and improve business efficiency?
  • Can you motivate, mentor, and manage employees and team dynamics?
  • Can you delegate the right jobs to the right people?
  • Are you willing to do what it takes to make your business a success (even many mundane tasks)?
  • Are you unafraid of failure and losing money?

Old 11-12-2009, 05:22 PM

136 posts, read 726,668 times
Thanks for everyones responses. I will add more questions like the ones you are saying.

Last edited by mikejj2004; 11-12-2009 at 05:32 PM..

Old 11-12-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Got 24/28 right - 86% - with lots of time to spare.

Good test - definitely not a predictor of how well someone will do in business, but someone who does well in business will likely do well on it.
So you are saying its like a prerequisite for success, but not a predictor of it. I agree with that.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:27 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,383,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejj2004 View Post
So you are saying its like a prerequisite for success, but not a predictor of it. I agree with that.
I disagree.... Sorry, I don't think your test is either a prerequisite or predictor of business success... Though it might indicate some aptitude/interest for MBA programs. Off the top of my head, I can think of several very successful business owners who would probably fail your test.... They are so focused on the nuances of their business that they could care less about who Warren Buffet's mentoree is... I do think your calculation questions might have some value though. Most successful people I know have that strong number sense.

I think there may be some psychological/personality assessment tests out there (Meyers-Brigg?) that may highlight some common traits of those who do well in business but no test can be a predictor of it.... E.g. Maybe patterns can be identified by questions about birth order, parenting, school environment, availability of mentors, traumatic childhood events, childhood socioeconomic status, participation in competitive sports, issues w/ADD/hyperactivity, etc.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 11-12-2009 at 06:51 PM..

Old 11-12-2009, 06:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassholic View Post
9-28
It's after school work and extra studying for you bassholic

Old 11-12-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I disagree.... Sorry, I don't think your test is either a prerequisite or predictor of business success... Though it might indicate some aptitude/interest for MBA programs. Off the top of my head, I can think of several very successful business owners who would probably fail your test.... They are so focused on the nuances of their business that they could care less about who Warren Buffet's mentoree is... I do think your calculation questions might have some value though. Most successful people I know have that strong number sense.

I think there may be some psychological/personality assessment tests out there (Meyers-Brigg?) that may highlight some common traits of those who do well in business but no test can be a predictor of it.... E.g. Maybe patterns can be identified by questions about birth order, parenting, school environment, availability of mentors, traumatic childhood events, childhood socioeconomic status, participation in competitive sports, issues w/ADD/hyperactivity, etc.
My test is essentially about 1/3 vocabulary of business terms, 1/3 business math and 1/3 factual knowledge of business. Anyone who would do good in business would be at a severe disadvantage if they didn't have a large vocabulary, skilled at math and at least understood basic facts about business. I think you are underestimating the caliber of people at the highest level of business. These people aren't pushovers, they are the best of the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics