Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 08:34 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times

Advertisements

Why not boycott all BP stations to show them Our dislike for people that ruin our friggin ecology...After they pay all the cost and clean up every last drop of their messy oil. pay every person who has lost money from this and replanted every killed plant and animals to take the place of the killed ones.................Then start shopping at BPs again,,,,,,,It will show BP that we have a say and its not always about them and what they want...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 10:34 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
OK well stop driving your car.

What happened to BP could happen to any producer. Hopefully some lessons will be learned and in time the ecology will recover as it always does and life will move on.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:05 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Why not boycott all BP stations to show them Our dislike for people that ruin our friggin ecology...After they pay all the cost and clean up every last drop of their messy oil. pay every person who has lost money from this and replanted every killed plant and animals to take the place of the killed ones.................Then start shopping at BPs again,,,,,,,It will show BP that we have a say and its not always about them and what they want...
On top of not driving any more you should also stop using plastic, since that is made from oil also.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:31 AM

3,085 posts, read 7,250,798 times
I heard BP has ties to CocaCola as well.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:37 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
It could have happened to other oil producers. Maybe that is a good enough reason to boycott BP so the other producers take offshore drilling safety a little more seriously than BP did.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:56 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
It could have happened to other oil producers. Maybe that is a good enough reason to boycott BP so the other producers take offshore drilling safety a little more seriously than BP did.
You see my point. I dont know why those other people cant buy gas other than from BP....YO.there are other stations,,yo

Old 05-31-2010, 01:04 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,331,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
You might want to post this over in an Environmentalist forum. We are investors here.

I think that I like BP stock at this price level.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:09 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
You might want to post this over in an Environmentalist forum. We are investors here.

I think that I like BP stock at this price level.

Agreed. This belong on another forum. This actually has more of a Politics and other Controversies feel to it to me.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:39 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
BP was nominated for an environmental award by the Obama administration. In fact rumor has it that they were the winner but the leak happened the week before the ceremony. So, what are they being boycotted for?

I'm a real fan of birds and fishing but I think BP would do anything to have what happened, not happen. But I'm still not sure how it happened.

"BP, now under federal scrutiny because of its role in the deadly Gulf of Mexico explosion and oil spill, is one of three finalists for a federal award honoring offshore oil companies for 'outstanding safety and pollution prevention.'"

In ironic twist, BP finalist for pollution prevention award – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Old 05-31-2010, 07:56 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,876 times
Gas station boycotts have to rank up there as among the most idiotic of ideas. They all carry the one fatal flaw: Although they may reduce business towards one company, it does nothing to reduce overall demand.

If every person in America stopped buying BP products-which includes Amoco and Arco, two things would happen.

1. Scores of independant dealers who run the stations on lease or franchise-and had nothing to do with this mess-would be out of business and in the street. To say nothing of all the Americans employed by BP who likewise had nothing to do with it.

2. BP would still make their money because of shifted demand. If the Chevrons, Exxon-Mobils, etc were to 'pick up the slack', BP would simply sell their tender shipments. This actually happens all the time, given how most companies are interconnected through a labarynth of pipelines (look up Kinder Morgan for instance). You'd be amazed at how often that when you fill up at a Shell station, it is with gas supplied by Valero, who bought it from Exxon. IS anyone out there really gullible enough to think that BP is going to sit there and "choke on unsold inventory" while the Mobil stations are all hanging up their "out of gas" signs? Give me a freaking break.

This is exactly why those "one day gas outs" that hit the Top 40 DJ radio circuits and "pass it on" e-mails that come up from time to time never seem to work. Everyone gets urged to "not buy gas on Wednesday". So what do they do? They simply buy it on Tuesday or Thursday instead. Nothing gets fundamentally changed.

In any event, it's all a moot point anyway. BP-especially Arco on the West Coast-is known for being a few cents cheaper. When it comes to filling up their cars, 99% of the population will look the other way when it comes to principle if it means saving a dime or two at the pump.

Last edited by Des-Lab; 05-31-2010 at 08:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics