Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 04:56 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I knew some jackholes who cheated because of the insanely competitive atmosphere in school. Let them run around with no self-respect...they are the ones who will never learn and will probably go around in life thinking they are good people and 'everyone does it.' Sick.
Meh. They're just training for a job on Wall Street or maybe they'll start up a fun Energy Corporation with cooked books or some such thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 06:16 AM

912 posts, read 1,331,574 times
I would either pass or fail .I would not cheat just to get a degree.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:45 AM

605 posts, read 2,160,114 times
It's not just your perception, according to an NPR story, cheating is on the rise: Cheating In College Is Widespread -- But Why? : NPR.

By the way, you have cheated since the third grade by taking your friend's exam for her.

Though many will argue that cheating does not have long-term consequences, I would argue that it does. I doubt the capacity of someone who can't own up to his or her own failures early in life to be able to be truthful later when the consequences are greater. I think that academic cheating is a barometer of our culture's willingness to lie when it comes to corporate responsibility, romantic relationships, personal financial responsibility, and even paternity.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:23 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
I used to hold a real high moral ground on cheating until I found reason to "cheat" in my life and heard the stories of others. Not as a regular thing mind you, but using my friend as an example she copied answers off the boy sitting next to her when taking a Spanish final in high school. Not having a head for the language she said she would have failed the class and wouldn't have been able to go to college without it. I suppose her alternative was to not cheat, fail and put a bunch of effort into passing a Spanish class before going to university later on, but she went right away and got a degree and worked 30 years in her field without doing that. I swear, I just can't work up an outrage over it. Especially knowing how life in the real world works.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:48 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,986 times
I have friends in college that cheat on their homework. They call it "helping" but really, they're just copying each other's answer off. Exams? They won't go near it. I thought to myself, wow. I could not find myself cheating in college. High school? plenty of times in freshmen and sophomore year. I guess I finally realize that if I don't want to cheater in college, then I better learn to change and I did. During my junior and senior year in HS, I started to cheat less and less. By the time I was a freshmen in college? I didn't even want to go there. I rather fail than cheat and pass. I would feel like I didn't learn anything.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:29 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
Eventually it will catch up to them. It might not be until a job interview, but when they are asked a technical question that was assumed they actually learned in college and they sit there looking like an idiot, they will finally get what is coming to them.

Everything catches up to dishonest people at some point. Unfortunately for us, it sometimes takes years before that happens.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:30 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I used to hold a real high moral ground on cheating until I found reason to "cheat" in my life and heard the stories of others. Not as a regular thing mind you, but using my friend as an example she copied answers off the boy sitting next to her when taking a Spanish final in high school. Not having a head for the language she said she would have failed the class and wouldn't have been able to go to college without it. I suppose her alternative was to not cheat, fail and put a bunch of effort into passing a Spanish class before going to university later on, but she went right away and got a degree and worked 30 years in her field without doing that. I swear, I just can't work up an outrage over it. Especially knowing how life in the real world works.
So what, everyone else does it, so cheating is OK?

This attitude makes me sad to be human.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:32 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So what, everyone else does it, so cheating is OK?

This attitude makes me sad to be human.
Then you must hate life because even outside of a school envoronment and in every single facet you will find cheating, lying, backstabbing, etc.

And sometimes, yes, I think it's, if not OK, at least not worth getting worked up about. I won't go into detail but just know this...you have lied.Everyone has. Deal with your own guilt.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:43 PM

867 posts, read 2,976,831 times
I attended high school at an extremely competitive public high school in suburban Houston that has a large Asian population that takes education ultra-seriously. This HS I attended is very well-known within the Houston area and is constantly regarded as being in the "top 5" locally. It's also ranked by Texas Monthly and USNWR. It's Clements High School in Sugar Land, TX.

I have constant memories when people (usually but not always, girls) would have their letter jackets in their lap to hide their tucked-away cheat sheets. It happened all the time.

Cheating was extremely rampant (and I mean rampant) among many of the students, especially those at the top end of the class ranking. I have no doubt in my mind that it's still like that. The pressure many students face from their families to gain admission to top-tier universities is absolutely tremendous.

However, in my experience in college, I've encountered much less cheating. There doesn't seem to be the same amount of pressure where I'm at.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 07-21-2010 at 02:56 PM..

Old 07-22-2010, 04:33 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Think about this..... Would you rather know yourself to be an honest person, or one who cheats?

Would you trust a person that you know to be a cheater?

And, most importantly, if a person cheats at one thing, will that make it easier to cheat in other ways?
+1 for this response. It is exactly what I was thinking. Once someone starts cheating at the 'small' stuff, they end up an Enron exec. or some such thing. Be proud that you have some character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education