Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:07 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,779 times

Advertisements

Again, Js1, why do you care so much what others are doing. It`s not because you are truly concerned for kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 10:48 AM
JS1 JS1 started this thread

1,896 posts, read 6,766,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Again, Js1, why do you care so much what others are doing. It`s not because you are truly concerned for kids.
Why do you care that I care?

Old 07-23-2010, 11:42 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,181,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Some people in this thread noted that religion is a common reason for homeschooling. That concerns me more than the debate over whether the academics are better. At least the religious schools have some accountability (more than homeschooling, with none or almost none).

However, when a child grows up in a closed environment controlled by religion (i.e., a religious homeschool), that child will have a hard time fitting in with society as an adult.

I'm glad that homeschooling is a small minority and I hope it stays that way.
So is this about homeschooling or is it about religion? Not all homeschoolers are religious. I'm not and neither are most of my friends who homeschool. The religious homeschoolers I know lead normal everyday lives. I'm not sure what you're so worried about.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:45 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,181,445 times
Quote:
Why do you care that I care?
I can't speak for cl723 but I wonder why you feel the need to bash and generalize a group of people who you obviously know very little about.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:08 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,366,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I can't speak for cl723 but I wonder why you feel the need to bash and generalize a group of people who you obviously know very little about.
I wonder as well .... in a nation of about 1 million high school dropouts, declining SAT results and similar problems, a disproportionately large amount of concern over a small amount of kids seems to be present here.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:08 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,779 times
Js1. I could care less. I just don`t like the fact that you are being obnoxious...

Old 07-23-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Some people in this thread noted that religion is a common reason for homeschooling. That concerns me more than the debate over whether the academics are better. At least the religious schools have some accountability (more than homeschooling, with none or almost none).

However, when a child grows up in a closed environment controlled by religion (i.e., a religious homeschool), that child will have a hard time fitting in with society as an adult.

I'm glad that homeschooling is a small minority and I hope it stays that way.
The First Amendment annoys you?

Old 07-23-2010, 02:04 PM

853 posts, read 4,036,120 times
I spend so much time helping my kids with their homework (assigned by their public school teachers), and my kids spend so much time doing homework, that sometimes I think homeschooling would make more sense!

Anyway, I agree that different situations work for different kids and families. It's good we have choices!

Old 07-23-2010, 03:13 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeme View Post
I spend so much time helping my kids with their homework (assigned by their public school teachers), and my kids spend so much time doing homework, that sometimes I think homeschooling would make more sense!

Anyway, I agree that different situations work for different kids and families. It's good we have choices!
The issue is standardizing those choices. We have decided, as a society, to take on the responsibility of educating our youth. We chose, long ago, not to leave this up to the parents. Therefore, someone needs to oversee homeschooling and make sure it makes the grade. There need to be checks and balances.

Make homeschooled kids take the state tests every year and treat them like you do the schools. If a school fails to make AYP for three years, they are taken over by the state. If homeschooled kids fail to make AYP they should be sent back to the public schools with intervention at the parents expense.

I don't see the logic of homeschooling but as long as you're actually doing the job, do what you want. The issue I have is no one is policing homeschooling. It's treated like separation of church and state when it has nothing to do with religion. IMO, homeschooling parents should have to pass the same tests teachers do and there should be, regular, exams to make sure their kids are learning what they should.

Consider the time you spend helping your kids your contribution to their educations and ask yourself if they'd be better off if you were the only source of their education? Personally, I know my knowledge base is too limited to be making the decision as to what my children should be learning all years. I could teach them chemistry, physics, physical science and math but I'm not qualified to teach the other subjects and I know it.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The issue is standardizing those choices. We have decided, as a society, to take on the responsibility of educating our youth. We chose, long ago, not to leave this up to the parents. Therefore, someone needs to oversee homeschooling and make sure it makes the grade. There need to be checks and balances.

Make homeschooled kids take the state tests every year and treat them like you do the schools. If a school fails to make AYP for three years, they are taken over by the state. If homeschooled kids fail to make AYP they should be sent back to the public schools with intervention at the parents expense.
What if the school they would be sent to is one of those that doesn't make AYP?

Also can you show an example of where a school has actually been taken over by a state for failure to meet AYP? Seems my one of my local middle schools and the high school should have been taken over by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education