Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 07:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Instead it's overseen and arranged by teachers, administrators and the state and federal government.
You missed the point completely.

Parents exercise control to decide who their children get to play with and who they do not get to play with. At school, nobody makes that socialization decision and enforces it on the children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 08:21 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,386,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
If the material is uninteresting to them, they need to do the research to make it more interesting to themselves instead of waiting for someone else to cater to them. IMO, this idea that everyone else should cater to me because I'm different does nothing but handicap the child who is different. Learning how to get what you want/need within the system is a valuable life skill because it's likely that no one will ever hand you exactly what you want/need.
To me, this is one of the most valuable lessons a person learns... Life is filled with systems - educational, business markets, economic, social, etc. Those who do well in school, business, and society understood the game and manipulate/change the systems to their advantage. It IS the American way to success and the school system is a training ground.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
To me, this is one of the most valuable lessons a person learns... Life is filled with systems - educational, business markets, economic, social, etc. Those who do well in school, business, and society understood the game and manipulate/change the systems to their advantage. It IS the American way to success and the school system is a training ground.
Right on. My stepdaughter actually dropped out of school in her Junior year, because she felt that she had already learned as much as school could teach her about gaming the system, and by then, school was just holding her back. She missed her friends and went back and graduated with them, but by the time she could legally drink, she already ran a successful business and was investing in real estate.

She started out doing environmentally sensitive house-cleaning for Volvo Liberals in the mid-90s, and soon had some corporate accounts eating out of her hand and a staff working for her.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-20-2010 at 08:46 AM..

Old 08-20-2010, 08:45 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,932,795 times
Quote:
And even without the "manipulation" angle, there are definite similarities between the school and the workplace.

Learning how to deal with large organizations is absolutely essential; the DMV, department stores, banks, real estate people, the post office; and what if a young adult wants to enroll in a large state univeristy, with tens of thousands of students--does anyone think that things will just be handed over to him? He'll have to get a student ID ( he won't be "special" anymore), he'll have to buy his textbooks, perhaps find a place to live, TO STAND IN LINE..by attending a traditional school, he will have already been versed in all of these things.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:55 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,657,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Learning how to deal with large organizations is absolutely essential; the DMV, department stores, banks, real estate people, the post office; and what if a young adult wants to enroll in a large state univeristy, with tens of thousands of students--does anyone think that things will just be handed over to him? He'll have to get a student ID ( he won't be "special" anymore), he'll have to buy his textbooks, perhaps find a place to live, TO STAND IN LINE..by attending a traditional school, he will have already been versed in all of these things.
And, let's see... my kids go with me to the DMV, the grocery store, banks, they've been part of negotiating our lease... Apparently you think we live our lives locked in our house, it couldn't be farther from the truth.

If my child wants to go to a large university, sure there'll be a learning curve. They would ask their friends who've gone about their experiences. They would ask me about mine. They live in the world. They are around people all the time with a wide variety of life experiences and backgrounds.

My oldest has his driver's license. *gasp* He got an ID! He stood in line! He studied for the test! All without going to school.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:59 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,657,455 times
Just a reminder - the thread is about Erica Goldson's speech. If you want to debate school vs. homeschool, this isn't the place to do it. I tried to tie my posts back to her speech, but I know that was a stretch.

There are enough places for school vs. homeschool debate; if that's what this degenerates into, I won't participate. I'll be happily, joyfully living my life as an unschooling mom, while you guys debate how effective it is.

Last edited by CharlotteGal; 08-20-2010 at 09:14 AM..

Old 08-20-2010, 09:18 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,187,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You missed the point completely.

Parents exercise control to decide who their children get to play with and who they do not get to play with. At school, nobody makes that socialization decision and enforces it on the children.
No, I didn't miss the point. There is a level of control in schools that does not exist is family life.

From the speech:
Quote:
" Between these cinderblock walls, we are all expected to be the same. We are trained to ace every standardized test, and those who deviate and see light through a different lens are worthless to the scheme of public education, and therefore viewed with contempt.

H. L. Mencken wrote in The American Mercury for April 1924 that the aim of public education is not "to fill the young of the species with knowledge and awaken their intelligence. ... Nothing could be further from the truth. The aim ... is simply to reduce as many individuals as possible to the same safe level, to breed and train a standardized citizenry, to put down dissent and originality. That is its aim in the United States."
I feel that it is my responsibility as a parent to introduce my child to the world that we live in. That's the way it was for thousands of years prior to the introduction of compulsory schooling.

As TouchOfWhimsy already pointed out, homeschooled kids have plenty of opportunities to interact with other kids when parents get involved in homeschooling groups. Not everyone in the group is going to click and get along. My dd is 4 and we have done regular groups (small ones) with other parents since she was 2 and she has had to deal with kids that she did not like just as I've had to deal with parents I didn't particularly enjoy spending time with. It's a part of life and it will happen with or without the experience of being in school.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:21 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,386,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
And, let's see... my kids go with me to the DMV, the grocery store, banks, they've been part of negotiating our lease... Apparently you think we live our lives locked in our house, it couldn't be farther from the truth.

If my child wants to go to a large university, sure there'll be a learning curve. They would ask their friends who've gone about their experiences. They would ask me about mine. They live in the world. They are around people all the time with a wide variety of life experiences and backgrounds.

My oldest has his driver's license. *gasp* He got an ID! He stood in line! He studied for the test! All without going to school.
I think public school, private school, and/or homeschool can be a great fit for a child depending on individual needs. However, IMO it is often more difficult for homeschoolers to replicate some of the challenges/growth opportunities of working within/manipulating a larger system (just as public schoolers have a risk that they are not getting the one-on-one attention they may need).

I am not referring to standing in line to get a student ID, but rather the kinds of social/leadership skills that can be learned from managing/leading a class group project, participating in school sports or plays, vying for quarterback position during a recess football game, campaigning for student council office, making judgments on the type of social groups one participate in, etc. I'm sure these activities may be replicated within homeschool co-ops. However, the sheer number and diversity of student bodies in many public schools provide more opportunity for this kind of social and leadership development, IMHO of course.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:23 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,932,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post

You can stand in line at the DMV, go to restaurants, etc , AND go to school, as well. You don't substitute one for the other.

Trying to pass off the simple act of "standing in line at the DMV" as an educational experience won't wash. Taking a child to lunch during the school day, and trying to explain it away as part of an educational curriculum is silly; if you want a child a child to learn about restaurants ( and what little there is to learn about them), then take him for an evening meal, AFTER school.

As far as the original speaker is concerned, she simply took advantage of having "the bully pulpit", and used it to her own devices. She will change her tune after she has "lived" for a few years...

Old 08-20-2010, 09:27 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,187,793 times
Quote:
I think public school, private school, and/or homeschool can be a great fit for a child depending on individual needs. However, IMO it is often more difficult for homeschoolers to replicate some of the challenges/growth opportunities of working within/manipulating a larger system (just as public schoolers have a risk that they are not getting the one-on-one attention they may need).

I am not referring to standing in line to get a student ID, but rather the kinds of social/leadership skills that can be learned from managing/leading a class group project, participating in school sports or plays, vying for quarterback position during a recess football game, campaigning for student council office, making judgments on the type of social groups one participate in, etc. I'm sure these activities may be replicated within homeschool co-ops. However, the sheer number and diversity of student bodies in many public schools provide more opportunity for this kind of social and leadership development, IMHO of course.
It seems clear that people have very little understanding of homschooling. Sure, it's different then going to school everyday but that does not make it inferior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education