Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 07:56 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
As does socialization!
School provides a unique venue for socialization because it's not overseen by and arranged by parents. I like that about school. My kids pick their own friends there and their own battles. It has nothing to do with me. It's their world. It includes everyone in the neighborhood not just people who chose to hang out together.

They socialize at church too but I choose that venue and I'm part of it and we're all kind of like minded. In school, they're liable to encounter just about anything, lol. Some good and some bad but I'd prefer that they learn how to deal with the bad when they are still young enough to think parents actually have a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 07:57 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Tipping is actually a part of homeschooling math. See, homeschooled kids are taught the same stuff classroom-schooled kids are taught, however their lessons are reinforced with practical application as *part of the curriculum* rather than as an aside.

In classroom learning, you have to HOPE that the parents will reinforce what their kids have learned, by guiding them through practical application of the lessons. Whether that's a discussion on their favorite explorer in world history, or having the kid explain the book they're reading and the highlights of the plotline, or helping mom figure out the total cost of the groceries and what percentage went into the different grocery categories (meats, deli, produce, canned goods, paper goods)...or helping dad figure out what kind of mileage he's getting per gallon to the lawnmower so you have a general idea of how often you'll need to bring the plastic tank to the gas station..

You have to HOPE that mom and dad are on board with that stuff, with classroom-educated kids.

With homeschooled kids, this is part of the curriculum. It isn't seperate from it, it isn't hoped that it'd be taught. It is all part and parcel of the process of learning.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:00 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
School provides a unique venue for socialization because it's not overseen by and arranged by parents. I like that about school. My kids pick their own friends there and their own battles. It has nothing to do with me.

They socialize at church too but I choose that venue and I'm part of it.
You did not arrange for your children to go to school? If I remember correctly, your kids go to a charter school or a magnet school or a school for advanced children or something... you didn't choose that?

My kids also pick their own friends. In their spare time. Which they have LOTS of. Granted, we picked our neighborhood, so I guess you could say we "picked" their neighborhood friends as well, but no more than you picking your kids' school. We pay for their outside classes, but we have no control over who else attends, and we don't usually stay to watch. (If the weather is bad, we sometimes do, rather than drive home or walk around in stores, etc.) We did choose homeschooling, but believe you me, there are ALL TYPES who homeschool. We've definitely had friend issues within the groups. It's not like there are three or four families participating in these activities... sometimes it's upwards of 50 families, with children of all ages. Try as they might, not all of the kids get along. Heck, not all of the moms get along! LOL

Old 08-19-2010, 08:01 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
School provides a unique venue for socialization because it's not overseen by and arranged by parents. I like that about school. My kids pick their own friends there and their own battles. It has nothing to do with me. It's their world.

They socialize at church too but I choose that venue and I'm part of it.
My socialization wasn't arranged by my parents, and it took place primarly outside the school - not in it. I hung out with the other kids in the neighborhood. Had I been homeschooled, I would've um...hung out with the other kids in the neighborhood. It's sort of what happens when you live in a neighborhood. Your location of schooling has nothing to do with it, unless mom sent you to Switzerland boarding school or something. And even then - you will end up socializing with uh - kids in THAT neighborhood. Which would be - the school campus. But not because it's a school. Because that's where the kids live.

Mod cut - snarky comment removed

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-20-2010 at 08:09 PM..

Old 08-19-2010, 08:04 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Yes, education only happens at school, lol.
Well, it only happens at TRADITIONAL schools; you can expect to hear from the Teachers' Union about this..

Old 08-19-2010, 08:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
At school, kids do have to learn to deal with kids they don't particularly like. This is a valuable lesson to learn. Kids also learn from each other, which is one advantage of going to school with a group.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
My socialization wasn't arranged by my parents, and it took place primarly outside the school - not in it. I hung out with the other kids in the neighborhood. Had I been homeschooled, I would've um...hung out with the other kids in the neighborhood. It's sort of what happens when you live in a neighborhood. Your location of schooling has nothing to do with it, unless mom sent you to Switzerland boarding school or something. And even then - you will end up socializing with uh - kids in THAT neighborhood. Which would be - the school campus. But not because it's a school. Because that's where the kids live.

What an amazingly inane discussion this has turned out to be. Have another nit. I just picked it off TouchofWhimsy's head. Roasted in garlic oil and lemon, just for you.
What I've gleaned:

*Schools have major problems. The kid who talked about them out loud in a public arena, though, was speaking out of turn. She should have just sat down and shut up like she was taught.

*Homeschooled kids do better on tests than kids who are taught to the test. They would have done better in school than those other kids anyway. The reason they *seem* to do better once they're removed from school is because the parents want them to fail at school. Then they want them to succeed at homeschooling. These particular children are very compliant, apparently.

*Learning takes place everywhere, not just in school. Children who go to school experience the benefit of school PLUS "real world" learning.

*Socialization also takes place everywhere. There is the awesomeness of school socialization in the lunch line where the kids learn things like "Jingle bells, Batman smells, Robin laid an egg," and "He who smelt it, dealt it." They can learn these things real well because no parents are there to give The Look. Then there is that other socialization that takes places in the "real world" after school, on weekends, and during summer vacation.

*If you homeschool, though, then the opposite is true: Learning only takes place within the home at the kitchen table, and no socialization takes place at all, because the kids are not in school.

Hooray for the critical thinking skills so prevalent on this board!

Old 08-19-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
At school, kids do have to learn to deal with kids they don't particularly like. This is a valuable lesson to learn. Kids also learn from each other, which is one advantage of going to school with a group.
In life, people have to learn to deal with other poeple that they don't like. This is a valuable lesson to learn. People also learn from each other. This is one advantage of living in the real world. I do not go to school, and I have to deal with people that I don't like. I learn from other people. My kids deal with kids that they don't like. They learn from other kids. Again, all of this is not only possible, but inevitable even when people are not in a school building.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:13 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
You did not arrange for your children to go to school? If I remember correctly, your kids go to a charter school or a magnet school or a school for advanced children or something... you didn't choose that?

My kids also pick their own friends. In their spare time. Which they have LOTS of. Granted, we picked our neighborhood, so I guess you could say we "picked" their neighborhood friends as well, but no more than you picking your kids' school. We pay for their outside classes, but we have no control over who else attends, and we don't usually stay to watch. (If the weather is bad, we sometimes do, rather than drive home or walk around in stores, etc.) We did choose homeschooling, but believe you me, there are ALL TYPES who homeschool. We've definitely had friend issues within the groups. It's not like there are three or four families participating in these activities... sometimes it's upwards of 50 families, with children of all ages. Try as they might, not all of the kids get along. Heck, not all of the moms get along! LOL
It's not a group of my choosing as would be if I homeschooled and the kids wouldn't have their own venue either. The kids my kids go to school with are the kids my kids go to school with. While I do pick our neighborhood, my children's school includes children from other neighborhoods as well.

One of the things I like about school is it's their world. They walk out of our home every morning and go to their world where they have to figure out what is acceptable and how to get along.

So, where is your children's meeting place where they hang out with all their homeschooled friends and how much time do they spend there? My kids spend about 40 hours a week between school and getting to and from school.

I like meeting the friends my kids pick on their own. It offers insight into who they are becoming.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:17 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
School provides a unique venue for socialization because it's not overseen by and arranged by parents.
Instead it's overseen and arranged by teachers, administrators and the state and federal government.
Quote:
My kids pick their own friends there and their own battles. It has nothing to do with me. It's their world. It includes everyone in the neighborhood not just people who chose to hang out together.
My child chooses her own friends and frequently plays at the local playground with kids from our neighborhood which is pretty diverse. I always give her as much space as she wants.
Quote:
They socialize at church too but I choose that venue and I'm part of it and we're all kind of like minded. In school, they're liable to encounter just about anything, lol. Some good and some bad but I'd prefer that they learn how to deal with the bad when they are still young enough to think parents actually have a clue.
First exposure to bullies, drugs, violence and sex, including sexual harassment in the classroom with the teacher present all occurred in school. Good times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education