Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 04:34 PM

121 posts, read 347,750 times

Advertisements

I had an excellent GPA, and nobody cared. They cared more about what I could do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 11:02 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
With a 3.2 GPA don't bring it up unless it's required. Some jobs may require it, some won't. I don't work in engineering, but the only job applications that I have ever encountered in my field that have required it have been jobs with the government. I admittedly don't know about your field, but when reviewing resumes I usually find it distracting, and not particularly relevant or useful. (and those with high grades can just put their Latin honors, if received) Even if these days they are used to do initial sorting there are still presumably enough companies out there not doing that; play up the rest of your resume and don't worry too much about it.

For whatever reason in the resumes I've seen it seems that it's the people who have the lowest GPAs (less than 3.0, I mean, sometimes much less) who list it. That's obviously not the case in this poster's case, but for these people with the low grades and the listed GPAs it sends up a big red flag for me: the unspoken message I get out of it (right or wrong) is that they're really proud of that GPA (otherwise why list it?), and I don't think that's a GPA worth bragging about.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:44 AM

815 posts, read 2,997,523 times
For the mass majority of jobs, GPA doesn't count for anything. It really doesn't show what someone is capable of in most situations in life. Like most things about school, it has little to do with life outside an educational setting. It was a shock to me when I graduated and employers thought very little of the way things are done in the college "world". I had to change to the reality of real life quickly. If you have a low GPA don't worry about it after you graduate because it doesn't really matter to many employers.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:58 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
I had my GPA on the resume when I graduated. I also included copies of the diploma and my honors certificate. The two months I had like 3 calls. After I took the GPA off and the honors certificate, I was getting 2-3 calls a week..that was in 1995....

Old 09-02-2010, 07:18 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
Many high powered jobs require GPA. Like consulting for Mck, Bain, BCG, or working for Goldman.

It's tough getting into any of the above without a 3.7 or higher, even from a top 10 university.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:13 AM
mwv

207 posts, read 673,665 times
I'm not sure if I find it funny or sad that a 3.2 GPA would be considered bad.

I graduated from a top CS program 20 years ago and the average GPA for seniors was 2.7. Most companies had a 2.2 or 2.5 cut off, and many none. I think Microsoft was the highest, 3.0. (This was for recruiting before graduation.)

Grade inflation is so rampant these days, it's ridiculous.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:01 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,922 times
DH's company does not hire any college new hires if they don't meet a specific GPA requirement. I'm not sure what they require for engineers. DH hires people that have a specific science degree, which works with the engineers, and their requirements are a 3.0. Once they have a year experience I don't think they care about GPA's at all.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:49 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,942 times
I have NEVER been asked what my college GPA and I have been working since 1987. Don't include it on your resume unless it is very high. What is important is how you interview. People hire "personalities" and not skills at first. People can be trained for the job at hand. They just want to know that you can learn. A diploma proves that you actually FINISHED something and are not a quitter.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:06 PM

944 posts, read 2,040,656 times
When I was hired for my first job out of college, they paid attention to my GPA. I was told they were impressed that I was disciplined enough in college to maintain a 3.7+ with my degree. They also had a degree cut-off and usually did not seriously consider anyone below a 3.0. With so many college grads out there GPA is one of the ways people start to differentiate between candidates.

The next job I look for, it won't even matter. They'll be looking at my job experience, references, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education