Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 05:27 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I guess I don't see how they can't understand these things if they use a calculator. They still have to know the process and understand how to get the answer. They still have to show step for step their work on assignments. The calculator just speeds up the process. I think there is some misunderstanding that just because a child uses a calculator that they don't understand the work and that just is not true. I am sure the NASA scientists would have LOVED to have graphing calculators to help them put man on the moon and I am pretty sure they use them now. Given that these people are some of the brightest minds in science, I don't think learning to use a calculator hurt them any.
You can't. If the calculator does it for you, you don't understand the steps the calculator took to get to the answer. It's one thing to use a calculator after you know how to do the math yourself and quite another to start using a calculator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If the apocalypse comes and the power grid goes, there will be an awful lot of people unable to function...which reminds me of the South Park episode when the Internet was gone and they packed up their cars and headed west because they heard there was some Internet in Californee.

But seriously, technology is just a time saving tool not knowledge.
Unfortunately, too many think they don't need knowledge because they have the internet.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:37 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What you end up seeing are freshmen in college Math being told "No calculators" and panicing.

I took a Trig class where we had 2 tests..a calculator test and a non-calculator test. Pre-cal ..just a regular calculator for arithmetic.
Not until Calculus could we use scientific calculators with tests.
And once you get to college, you sketch graphs on regular lined paper.
Not having done graphs before kids struggle that entire first semester in College Math.

I took those classes a few semesters ago for refresher classes as I hadn't had college Math classes in over 20 years. What was drummed into my head 20+ years ago all came back while these younger students struggled. Sometimes the old ways are better.
When it comes to graphs understanding the impact of the chosen scale and interval is essential to truly understanding the data. It is through the painful task of wrestling with these variables that one gets a real understanding of the data and what it may or may not indicate.

These variables are often manipulated by the author to fool the target audience. Most people don't even realize they are being played because they rely too much on what they see and don't have enough experience and knowledge on how the data and graph are interrelated.

This is true for a lot of technology. I totally disagree that a calculator is a substitute for calculating conceptually and algorithmically. The former is a procedure that has little to no impact on knowledge whereas the latter is a meta-cognitive experience that enhances knowledge and builds requisite skills necessary for understanding related higher-level concepts.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:37 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
No. Technology is good. Many schools are antiquated and many teachers and principles have a statist agenda that stifles everything.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:38 PM

I'd prefer to scan my items at the grocery store and not understand the technical engineering behind "scanners" and their "adding" methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You can't. If the calculator does it for you, you don't understand the steps the calculator took to get to the answer. It's one thing to use a calculator after you know how to do the math yourself and quite another to start using a calculator.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I'd prefer to scan my items at the grocery store and not understand the technical engineering behind "scanners" and their "adding" methods.
It's actually quite interesting. So is the engineering behind CD's and CD readers. Actually, they're rather similar.

I'm curious enough that I couldn't stand not knowing the technology behind the scanners. I hope you know enough not to look into the laser.

This isn't the same as using a calculator to do math. Stores want bar code readers and scanners and check outs that figure out your bill to minimize being ripped off (thought I've seen some stealthy moves at the self check out, UGH). This isn't a crutch you're using to avoid math. It's the store trying to make sure they get what is due them and keeping track of inventory. Apples to oranges here.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
It's like learning to speak a foreign language by running everything through a machine translator. Or a Home-Ec class where all you do is put TV dinners in the microwave.

Quote:
Stores want bar code readers and scanners and check outs that figure out your bill to minimize being ripped off .
Not the real reason. They want cashiers to be able to enter prices twice as fast, so they only have to pay half as many cashiers to process the same number of shoppers and items. The only person who can "rip them off" is the cashier, who can still just bypass the scanner with an item that her mother is buying.

Actually, it protects the customer more than the store, because the store can't overscan a price. I always check my produce ring, to make sure they entered the right kind of peppers.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:40 PM

I look into the laser all the time!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
It's actually quite interesting. So is the engineering behind CD's and CD readers. Actually, they're rather similar.

I'm curious enough that I couldn't stand not knowing the technology behind the scanners. I hope you know enough not to look into the laser.

This isn't the same as using a calculator to do math. Stores want bar code readers and scanners and check outs that figure out your bill to minimize being ripped off (thought I've seen some stealthy moves at the self check out, UGH). This isn't a crutch you're using to avoid math. It's the store trying to make sure they get what is due them and keeping track of inventory. Apples to oranges here.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:53 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,279,234 times
I'm not a teacher but I'm a firm believer in FORMAL/traditional education. Internet is fine. Information is fine. Neither, however, will ever replace the cumulation of knowledge that we know to be the backbone of civilized society. Teaching kids to "just do what you want" is plain stupid. If we all just "do what we want" then eventually we'll be a population of blind leading the blind. Learn to do things the right way then if you want to be stupid after that then go for it.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:17 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post

Someone who understands the math can do this, which is how some people make a killing at the market and others (who are not educated in the math behind finance and economics) sit around and do nothing but complain about the market crashing. Knowledge is power, and mathematics drive everything. You DON'T need to know this stuff to make change at a supermarket, but if you want to actually get far and understand what is happening with your money (and be able to play at the same level as a wall street trader) you need to understand math. (Please note I picked finance/economics as one example for simplicity, I could easily make the same argument with any field.)
The problem is that with the over-reliance on technology and calculators, some people are even unable to figure out what the change is IN THEIR HEAD without the help. I go to the store, I'm keeping a running total in my head. If it's within a dollar of what I figured, I'm not complaining, but if it's way off, then there's a problem, and I'll check their input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education