Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 01:00 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times

Advertisements

Linked is harvard's entrance exam from the late 1890s. I wonder how many high school grad's today could pass it. This isn't intended to be a knock on anyone today (and especially not current harvard grads), I just am wondering if we are really more educated today than we were 100 years ago. A link to the full exam can be found here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 01:23 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Linked is harvard's entrance exam from the late 1890s. I wonder how many high school grad's today could pass it. This isn't intended to be a knock on anyone today (and especially not current harvard grads), I just am wondering if we are really more educated today than we were 100 years ago. A link to the full exam can be found here.
This is very interesting. I wouldn't have any trouble with this now, but I might have had trouble with #4 as a high school student because I didn't know those algorithms then and would have had to use a guess and check method, which is tedious by hand. I only learned how to cube roots from programming; never learned it in a math class.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:17 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
I think the focus is just different. I probably can't do all of it. I could probably finish a pHd in engineering and not be able to do all of it.

You have to remember this was before the days of calculators when people were using abacuses and slide rules, so learning this kind of stuff was practical.

Now, you just punch it into your $20 Casio, and you're off to the meat and potatoes.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:06 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Probably every high school student that has reasonable math skills and a teacher that spent a day teaching them how to do that. How many kids that got into Harvard in the 1800's could format an excel spreadsheet....none.....

Old 07-29-2013, 03:18 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,754 times
I wonder how many engineers or mathematicians or Harvard students today would get this correct:

48÷2(9+3) = ?

a) 2
b) 288

Old 07-29-2013, 03:43 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
I wonder how many engineers or mathematicians or Harvard students today would get this correct:

48÷2(9+3) = ?

a) 2
b) 288

you'd be surprised, even if i gave him the hint of :"please excuse my dear aunt sallie" how many students wouldn't get it.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:02 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
you'd be surprised, even if i gave him the hint of :"please excuse my dear aunt sallie" how many students wouldn't get it.
I don't know what that "hint" is relating to but I understand the order of operations...but I'm not a Harvard student, nor am I an engineer...I have been known to add using my fingers still though...I love calculators

Old 07-29-2013, 05:49 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,194 times
Quote:
Without a calculator, there would be no way that I could do this....

Old 07-29-2013, 05:55 PM

770 posts, read 1,177,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post

48÷2(9+3) = ?

a) 2
b) 288
I'm sure most of them would. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. I'll be the first to admit that I suck at math and I hate it. I'm definitely no engineer or mathematician...I did that problem in my head in about 5 seconds.

Last edited by luckynumber4; 07-29-2013 at 06:33 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 06:30 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I don't know what that "hint" is relating to but I understand the order of operations...but I'm not a Harvard student, nor am I an engineer...I have been known to add using my fingers still though...I love calculators
I'm an engineer, and I use calculators.

If the tool is at my disposal, why not use it? Should I ditch my CAD software and break out the mechanical pencil and drafting board?

Honestly, I don't think the issue is that kids are dumber, I just think their are drawn to thinking the only way to be successful is to be a rapper, musician, athlete or movie star. Kids are brought up wanting "bling" and they see the people who have it are those that are mentioned. Maybe parents encourage this as well. When I played school sports, we always had huge turnouts at my basketball and football games and encouraged sports participation. The popular kids played sports. I never saw nearly as much enthusiasm for the science fairs I was also in. Perhaps culture is to blame? Grow up worshipping the 1% that's always in the spotlight and you want to be them. I always felt self-conscience being "smart" in school. I wouldn't say it discouraged me, but I definitely hid it. Now I'm glad I pursued it. My 10-year HS reunion was definitely interesting to see how people ended up. The quarterback of my HS team did play for the Steelers for a few seasons though. Guess once in a while someone actually gets that dream.

Enough of that though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education