Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:57 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Bullying is basically a pathology about control. Bullies want to control someone. I am familiar with bullying stories. I remember when I was in the 5th grade, there was this kid who kept picking on me. He was also a little con artist. He tried to con me out of a model plane. We had our problems. One day I decided to stand up to him. He had a fight. I also had the backing of many kids from my bus route. It was me versus a much larger kid. In the end we called a truce.
I did learn another thing about bullying. Tell the parents if the bullying gets out of hand. I moved to another county in the 6th grade and got bullied alot, a group of kids. Such things and taking my backpack and throwing it up trees, stealing my hat, and just general mischief. One day I was walking off the bus and the brother of one of the kids took a paintball gun and shot me with it. I was scared and confused and didn't know what to think. I should have told my father sooner. Criminal charges could have been filed sooner. This lesson was not lost on me a year later. In the 7th grade, I was on crutches. Two boys kicked my crutches from under me and I basically fell to the ground. That also happen to be the day the Columbine shooting happened. I told my father that day what happened. We both told the principal later that week. Both boys were positively identified and had to see the principal. Unfortunately, because there were no one willing to testify against the two boys who did this, they went unpunished.
I learned that you must defend yourself against bullies. I remember in high school, three boys decided they wanted to attack me for the fun of it. I basically fought with all of them, until an administrator stopped us all. The teacher who saw the fight found me later that day and let me know she understood what happened and that it was a matter of self-defense. I never got any repercussions. Oddly enough, no one else did. Maybe it was because I weighed between 115-120 pounds in the 11th grade, but I wasn't looked at as the aggressor in that specific moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 10:30 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
This proves once again that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

The fuzzy-thinking do-gooder I'm-the-smartest lefties who initiate these policies actually believe a lot of this BS.
UNTIL they are jumped by someone, or perhaps there's a riot downtown. Then they go running for their armed friends.

If I had a kid in this type school, he/she would be in judo or jiu jitsu classes for the duration.
Take down. Neutralize. No strikes necessary.
Yeah that's what I did when I was in grade school. I took jiu jitsu. I -could- have broken arms or legs of my bullies. I never had to though. I never let it get that far. I was taught that only witless and unintelligent people fight each other because they lack the brains to deal with things as civilized human beings.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:57 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am a vehement supporter of the freedom to be at all times armed and object to any efforts to disarm the law abiding civilian population. Law abiding people dependant on the authorities to protect them from bullies and criminals are SOL when the cops become the criminals.

Teach yourself and your family how to fight back enough to stop the assault even if it kills the criminal. Self defense, like pest control, is not a sport, but a necessity.
Totally agree. I've long taught my children that if they ever start a fight, they will receive 10 kinds of hell here at home; however, if anyone ever beats on them, they are to defend themselves period.

Sometimes all a bully is capable of understanding is a size 6 boot between the eyes.

No manner of "discussing" and "conflict resolution" can stop those types of bullies. There is a clear difference between those intent on harm, and those trying to show off their "toughness."

Human nature (children in particular) will not change in 10 million years IMHO.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:01 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
I think there is a difference between parents telling their kids that they can hit back if attacked and the schools sanctioning, it though. I think it's reasonable that schools at least in theory tell kids that they can't fight, period. I still think zero tolerance policies are stupid and schools should differentiate between kids who start fights and who are just protecting themselves when it comes to handing out punishments, but as far as official policies I think the "it's okay to fight back if hit" message should come from the parents, not the school.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:10 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I think there is a difference between parents telling their kids that they can hit back if attacked and the schools sanctioning, it though. I think it's reasonable that schools at least in theory tell kids that they can't fight, period. I still think zero tolerance policies are stupid and schools should differentiate between kids who start fights and who are just protecting themselves when it comes to handing out punishments, but as far as official policies I think the "it's okay to fight back if hit" message should come from the parents, not the school.
Yep. I agree - especially with handling it on a case by case basis. I sometimes wonder if anyone is willing to do a little investigative work. It usually doesn't take much to find out what the true story is if we actually are willing to listen.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:43 PM

387 posts, read 533,070 times
Home school is the answer. In college do your courses online. And in the workforce work with as few people as possible. That way you reduce your chances of being bullied and fighting back. It will tarnish your record. And more than half the population who believe themselves to be victims will not believe you when you claim you were bullied first. Be cautious out there.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:22 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Totally agree. I've long taught my children that if they ever start a fight, they will receive 10 kinds of hell here at home; however, if anyone ever beats on them, they are to defend themselves period.

Sometimes all a bully is capable of understanding is a size 6 boot between the eyes.

No manner of "discussing" and "conflict resolution" can stop those types of bullies. There is a clear difference between those intent on harm, and those trying to show off their "toughness."

Human nature (children in particular) will not change in 10 million years IMHO.
I agree. We taught our kids pretty much the same thing.

1) never start a fight, but if you get into one, you damn well better finish it.

2) always defend those who need to be defended.

3) speak out against wrongdoing.

4) look out for your brothers and sisters.

5) be considerate of everyone.

6) measure your words, once it comes out of your mouth you can't take it back, no matter how much you wish you could.

As a rule, I don't get in the middle of the drama unless I have no choice. I would rather let them learn to resolve things on their own but if they're in trouble for doing the right thing, God help the other guy.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:05 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
and yet the "Mentor High School" of Mentor, Ohio has had four suicides from bullying and when a lawsuit was brought, they destroyed evidence. At the funeral of one of the girls, the bullying girls showed up and laughed at her as she laid in her coffin. If that had been my relative, those girls would be in the hospital for a very long time.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:12 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
and yet the "Mentor High School" of Mentor, Ohio has had four suicides from bullying and when a lawsuit was brought, they destroyed evidence. At the funeral of one of the girls, the bullying girls showed up and laughed at her as she laid in her coffin. If that had been my relative, those girls would be in the hospital for a very long time.
That's really sickening. It seems that girls are a lot worse than boys as bullies.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:42 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
That's really sickening. It seems that girls are a lot worse than boys as bullies.
And that's why most of my friends are guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education