Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 07:18 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times

Advertisements

My school is also on double block schedule but we do not have any particular rules about bathroom use. We do not use passes or even have them ask. I tell them in the beginning of the year that I do not want them to interrupt class to go to the bathroom. They are just to quietly go and quietly come back.

I have yet to have any problems with kids going too often or for too long.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:35 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,233 times
Don't complain too much... the school I just left was way worse.

I got a detention for not showing work on 5 math problems. Then the same teacher tryed to give me a Saturday School ( have to pay $50 and go to school saturday with school uniform ). I talked my way out of it though. I left that school a few months ago to finish senior year in a public school.

I honestly didn't go to bathroom at my last school because I just don't have time to and because most of my teachers wouldn't even let you. I hated that school and trained my body not to have to "go", so I never felt the slightest urge. When I finish high school off senior year, it will be "Heaven" compared to the last school I went to. I can tell many more stories of things that are worse than what you explained and what I just said.

Someone always has it worse, so don't simply complain because of that.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:06 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,458,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Many times there is no issue. It's a rule just because it's a rule because it's always been a rule.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Would students meet up in the restrooms to have sex or use drugs? That has occurred in our school over the years. We are currently having a very big problem with girls meeting to have sex or fight in the restrooms during class.
Honestly, I can't answer your question because I've never had sex or done drugs. I wouldn't know where the place to make out or deal drugs was if there was one.

I do think a lot of students act out the daring rebel role because that's what most adults expect of them.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
Don't complain too much... the school I just left was way worse.

I got a detention for not showing work on 5 math problems. Then the same teacher tryed to give me a Saturday School ( have to pay $50 and go to school saturday with school uniform ). I talked my way out of it though. I left that school a few months ago to finish senior year in a public school.

I honestly didn't go to bathroom at my last school because I just don't have time to and because most of my teachers wouldn't even let you. I hated that school and trained my body not to have to "go", so I never felt the slightest urge. When I finish high school off senior year, it will be "Heaven" compared to the last school I went to. I can tell many more stories of things that are worse than what you explained and what I just said.

Someone always has it worse, so don't simply complain because of that.
Just because some people have it worse doesn't mean all should have to suffer, though. Of course it could be worse and has been worse for some people, but that doesn't mean that something that isn't right, even if not as bad, is all the sudden right.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:48 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Just because some people have it worse doesn't mean all should have to suffer, though. Of course it could be worse and has been worse for some people, but that doesn't mean that something that isn't right, even if not as bad, is all the sudden right.
I never said it was right, just that the OP can't do anything about it so complaining on the internet wont help. True, detention for using the restroom is wrong. I just don't understand the purpose of him complaining... it doesn't solve anything. If he just wanted to get the subject off his chest, then I suggest he buys a diary for himself. (because it sounds like it could be in ones diary) lol. or does he want people to agree with him so that he feels better? or talk about other instances partaining to the subject?... he just didn't elaborate.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:32 AM

5 posts, read 7,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
My school is also on double block schedule but we do not have any particular rules about bathroom use. We do not use passes or even have them ask. I tell them in the beginning of the year that I do not want them to interrupt class to go to the bathroom. They are just to quietly go and quietly come back.

Bravo for you! That really is the best way. If one student is having problems abusing this, then pull that one student aside privately and see what needs to be done.

When the state trooper catches someone speeding on the highway during rush hour to go to work, the cops don't come out in mass and give a ticket to every motorist.

Yet, that is what we do.

I read that one teacher waits until the tardy bell rings and then lets anyone who needs to the toilet to go. That works for him.I would rather go ahead and let them put their books on their desk and go on right then.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:41 AM

613 posts, read 991,201 times
My son's 4th grade teacher uses recess as a punishment if a child needs to use the bathroom outside of the time she has allocated for it, supposedly once in the morning and once in the afternoon. I say supposedly because she is so disorganized I highly doubt she keeps to her own schedule.

But even if she does, taking away recess when 9-10 years olds need to use the bathroom is crazy. As it is, kids are already prone to holding it in until the very last minute, so if a child says they need to use the bathroom, most likely they REALLY need to use the bathroom.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:15 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

We are required to give passes and keep track of how long students are out of the room so it is a disruption. I encourage my students to go before class. If they come to class and tell me they're going to the bathroom, I will exucse the tardy. Still, I get the hand going up in the middle of a lecture and the question is "Can I go to the bathroom?".

I wish I could do what you do but there would be students who abuse this and I would be held accountable for letting them out of my classroom...so I have to give passes.

Next year, I'm giving out two bathroom passes per quarter. The student can just set the pass on my desk as they leave and I'll note the time they left on the pass. I know one teacher who gives extra credit for any passes turned back in at the end of the year. I hate to give extra credit for things having nothing to do with the class (some teachers do kleenex and hand sanitizer) but if it encourages them to not disrupt my class, it may be worth it.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:46 AM

5 posts, read 7,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
This isn't one of those situations. This is a problem. I work with about 150 students every day. There is a direct correlation between students with low grades and students who are often asking to go relieve themselves.
Have you considered ways to engage those students so they get into the lesson? They are often bored.

They follow your lesson as much as you followed reading my post! You admit they were well written but too long for you to read. (Thanks for the comment of how well written they were.) Students do the same thing to us.

I don't teach the way way those posts were written! I don't teach adults!

For Pete's sake don't let them ask out loud. None of my teachers allowed it and I didn't. Let them get up and come and ask privately, or have a hall pass ready to go. Sign out and sign in sheet. Whatever! When someone asks out loud, the entire lesson is thrown off course!

Have a severe clause custom written for each student that the regular rules are NOT working. Don't change a policy that is working for all but one or two students. Do all the conferencing in private. Don't have a Kangaroo Court!

Start the period with empty bladders! Really encourage those that have a toilet need to go at the beginning even if you have to let them go after the tardy bell. Better then than after you have started the main lesson! SEND the ones that ask frequently. Don't give them a choice! It does work for a majority of the "too frequent" toilet visits.

One or two students may have a long way to go for the next class, let them go the last two minutes instead of asking 10 minutes before the end of the lesson.

Hopefully this was on an easier level to read and shorter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education