Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:04 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,028,415 times

Advertisements

Bioinformatics or anything dealing with computers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 09:56 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Anything you can do shift work. A friend of mine is a lab technician, she works 3rd shift, gets extra pay, and avoids people. Honestly, I think I'm her only friend, but she's happy doing her thing!

Old 03-11-2011, 12:27 AM

19 posts, read 36,288 times
If you're willing to work hard to overcome your social problems, then you should focus with what you're good at and where your natural talents lie rather than how much social interaction you'd have. I'm not much of a people person either. Not to the extent where I'm socially awkward or unable to get along with people, but I just generally like working by myself more. I'm more productive that way.

If you're interested in pursuing anything business-related, then you're going to have to overcome your social deficits. Business is people. You know the people who get hired the most in business? Not the ones who made the best grades, have the best credentials. It's the ones with the best people skills, and the most self-confidence.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:48 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
What would be the best paying career path for someone who is hard working but not born very bright when it comes to dealing with people (and is willing to work his/her best to overcome this natural weakness)? Assume this person has no family connections to speak of either.
If you spend enough time working on overcoming the problem, the odds are you will in fact overcome the problem. Barring Aspergers or some kind of physical brain dysfunction. If you do work seriously at it you may become better than people who coast on an average ability.

That being said, computers and IT. There is a stereotype there of poor people skills. Untrue as it may be, it will work to your advantage.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:51 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
What would be the best paying career path for someone who is hard working but not born very bright when it comes to dealing with people (and is willing to work his/her best to overcome this natural weakness)? Assume this person has no family connections to speak of either.

School administrator....

Old 03-11-2011, 10:47 AM

881 posts, read 1,815,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
That being said, computers and IT. There is a stereotype there of poor people skills. Untrue as it may be, it will work to your advantage.
You can get through (computer science/engineering) school with poor people skills, but in the real world it's very different.

People skills (and diplomacy) are very important in IT, especially when you have som body breathing down your neck to solve their problem ASAP! Software Engineers work in large teams, each person handles a small bit, everything needs to work well together. You need to be able to explain/understand complex concepts with each other. We don't all work in our little cubicles having no interaction with people. We spend a surprising amount of time in meetings. The best "computer" people are the ones with good people skills.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:55 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
government.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:29 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Whoa, as an engineer, you never had to work with a team?

I have rarely seen a job that doesn't require some social skills. You have to get along with those you are working with *and* with your manager, etc.

It is true that some jobs require less of this especially if you are not working with the public. Working some jobs on the graveyard shift will get you left alone as well.

Off-hand I can think of several good fields - computer programming, reference librarian, copy editor, mechanic, small appliance repairman - but even in these jobs some contact with others is required and you might have to sell yourself to your customers.
For any level of education, grave-yard shift would be the best bet.
Least amount of contact with others apart from supervision.

I'm at least capable of putting up a front and acting presentable until "help arrives". Anything beyond that would be nightmarish.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:59 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,973 times
Quote:
Since you admitted in your post that you're willing to work on your social weakness, I would say, choose whatever career that attracts you the most and while you're working on that degree (if you choose college), you can also work on your social skills. I think that's a better choice that picking a career you're not too crazy about, but will not put you in any awkward social situations.

I personally identify as an introvert and I feel more at ease alone, doing my own thing, but I also appreciate interacting with people and being around others. Since I've been in college, I've worked more on putting myself out there and making an effort to go to parties and join clubs and it's really helped my social awkwardness.

If you feel like it's too hard to do it on your own, you could look into counseling/therapy. I think once you start working on it, you'll feel better than simply picking a career that helps you hid from people. Good luck!

Old 03-13-2011, 10:07 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
Dmv
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education