Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 06:07 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times

Advertisements

What would be the best paying career path for someone who is hard working but not born very bright when it comes to dealing with people (and is willing to work his/her best to overcome this natural weakness)? Assume this person has no family connections to speak of either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 07:30 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,059 times
Pathology and radiology.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:48 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
It depends on what they like and what they're good at. I can think of many jobs that pay well yet don't require social skills. Plumber, electrician, garbage collector (my personal heros as I really wouldn't want to live with my own refuse ), snow plow driver, landscape, construction, lab work, computer programming, CAD,...etc, etc, etc...

The fact of the matter is, most jobs don't require social skills. Trust me, I was an engineer and worked with lots of engineers who were lacking in social skills. Unless you're working with the public, it's not an issue and if you are, you get used to it.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:43 PM

391 posts, read 513,483 times
Hard question if we don't know what you are good at. Math? Science? History? More info...

Old 02-26-2011, 09:09 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
Hard question if we don't know what you are good at. Math? Science? History? More info...
Business, economics, finance, banking, investing, etc.

Also love math but hate the sciences like the plague..

Old 02-26-2011, 10:53 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It depends on what they like and what they're good at. I can think of many jobs that pay well yet don't require social skills. Plumber, electrician, garbage collector (my personal heros as I really wouldn't want to live with my own refuse ), snow plow driver, landscape, construction, lab work, computer programming, CAD,...etc, etc, etc...

The fact of the matter is, most jobs don't require social skills. Trust me, I was an engineer and worked with lots of engineers who were lacking in social skills. Unless you're working with the public, it's not an issue and if you are, you get used to it.
Whoa, as an engineer, you never had to work with a team?

I have rarely seen a job that doesn't require some social skills. You have to get along with those you are working with *and* with your manager, etc.

It is true that some jobs require less of this especially if you are not working with the public. Working some jobs on the graveyard shift will get you left alone as well.

Off-hand I can think of several good fields - computer programming, reference librarian, copy editor, mechanic, small appliance repairman - but even in these jobs some contact with others is required and you might have to sell yourself to your customers.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:57 AM

45,341 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Judging from some C-D members driving a fork lift in a warehouse or career counseling for ex-cons might be choices.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:37 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,430,619 times
Computers as in IT or something. Plenty of socially inept people already working in that field.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:49 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
Flight attendent, believe it or not...you don't deal with the same people, only people for a short flight, while you are busy serving drinks, you don't even generally talk to your crew mates, you are so busy working, if you have the front section, you work alone, for your 10 rows of people, giving out drinks, picking up cups. You only deal with a crew for one month, then you get a whole different crew the next month. If you work on call, you never work with the same people at all...so even if you have horrible people skills, as long as you are nice, show up to work on time, and do your job...no problems...you don't have to maintain long relationships with anyone.

But if you really have social problems, work night crew at a prison, you don't have to talk to anyone at all. Or another good job, is to be a snow cat operator, you work at night, in your own snow cat, grooming runs for ski areas, you never talk to anyone, your boss just hands you a schedule...

Old 02-27-2011, 01:29 PM

191 posts, read 457,624 times
I think you are focusing on the wrong thing. Instead of starting with what you aren't good at, consider your talents. Then, you can narrow down from there.

So....do you enjoy math, science, computers, language....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education