Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 11:17 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,440,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Other than finding a way to evaluate him differently and something different for him to do during class time. Suppose the unit project was this Native American diorama mentioned previously. Teacher creates a rubric that says the diorama needs to include an example of housing, food, clothing, and tools. It's going to meet not only the social studies standard, but also art, writing, and geometry, because students are going to use clay/paper/paint, write a summary of their scene, and include at least 4 of the geometric shapes studied in math class when they build the house/tools/baskets/etc.
You're right.

But again, the seed of the apple of discord resides in my not agreeing with the very premise that such projects are a good learning method in the first place. Assessing learning in so many extremely important disciplines... with a colorful and painfully superficial Diorama?

For starters, I don't even believe in "social studies" at this age. This is an extremely complex discipline when approached as it should and that doesn't even belong in the "grammar" stage no matter how you twist it.
Definitely don't need the "family diversity" type of lessons (though shockingly enough, I am both "left" and fine enough with gay marriage).

Classical education HARDLY includes any "social studies" at the elementary school level, certainly not in the first couple of years.
If it were up to me, he would not need any evaluation on "social studies". But of course, in public school it is not up to me.

Writing and geometry?
The Diorama you mentioned does not even begin to resemble a decent evaluation method for such serious topics, not even at the elementary school level.

I do understand though that in public school there's only so much wiggle room and that such schools will teach to the "mean"; which "mean" was raised on colorful bells, whistles, manipulatives and poppy images and would go severely ADHD if confronted with the methods of Classical Education.

Money for Westminster ..."ain't got it"...so we'll see how we can manage both Leafy Dioramas AND judicious Classical Education courtesy mama. Then, if all H breaks lose, I might just have to drop the career thing and just do homeschooling which it looks like I am going to have to do anyway - with or without Dioramas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 04:42 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,167,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Today, in my sister's PhD level statistics class:

Professor: So...here we have 18 - 3x = ....And if x = 2...

PhD student interrupts: But why aren't we just doing directly 15 x 2?

Resting my case.
*smile*

That's a great example of "Sometimes, we think too much."

Old 04-13-2011, 08:35 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,944,195 times
Quote:
For starters, I don't even believe in "social studies" at this age. This is an extremely complex discipline when approached as it should and that doesn't even belong in the "grammar" stage no matter how you twist it.
It really sounds like you should put your kids in a different environment then. Public school is legally mandated to teach social studies at the elementary level.

Here are 2nd grade standards for the state of Virginia. Whether you like it or not, if you put your kid in public school, the teacher is required to teach this stuff to the kids. If you don't like it, you shouldn't be sending your child to public school...or else, you should suck it up and do all these projects you don't like, in addition to all the extra work you want to give your child (but not replacing it--because the teachers are held accountable that kids meet these standards).

Quote:
2.2 The student will compare the lives and contributions of three American Indian cultures of the past and present, with emphasis on the Powhatan of the Eastern Woodlands, the Lakota of the Plains, and the Pueblo peoples of the Southwest.
Quote:
2.5 The student will use environmental themes and historical events as inspiration for works of art.
Quote:
2.21 The student will identify and create figures, symmetric along a line, using various concrete materials.
Etc, etc. A diorama is not a way to TEACH these topics, but it's a very valid way for students to demonstrate that they know the material.

It really sounds like you don't agree with the way public school is taught, which is fine...it means you'd be better happier sending your kids to a private school. That's why the option's there. If you didn't like a single project, then fine, opt out of it. But to say you don't agree with an entire segment of the curriculum is significantly more than just a single project.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
It really sounds like you don't agree with the way public school is taught, which is fine...it means you'd be better happier sending your kids to a private school.
You're sort of right. Now let me know how I find money for private school for two kids.

It looks like I am going to have to suck it up, like you said.

But at least, I reserve the liberty to say that wasting time with "comparing the lives and contributions of three American Indian cultures of the past and present, with emphasis on the Powhatan of the Eastern Woodlands, the Lakota of the Plains, and the Pueblo peoples of the Southwest" at the elementary school level is a MAJESTIC, nauseatingly PC waste of time.

Then no one should wonder why most products of the public school system come out so painfully mediocre.
Most children don't have parents who can suck up the cheesy PC nonsense of public schools AND do what really needs to be done at home.

Trust me, I WOULD put them in private if I could.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:41 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,050,601 times
Cali, who do really think does those projects?

Old 04-13-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Cali, who do really think does those projects?
You mean parents vs. students? Depends. I've seen what my third grade teacher friend shows me, and a small handful are very obviously done by parents. The vast majority are done by the kids though. She makes all the kids stand up in front of the class and present their project too, so they still have to know the information, even if mom glued the pieces together for the child. They also have to do in class writing assignments about the project, so that it holds the kids accountable.

If you're asking if teachers do those projects, I know a lot who do.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:49 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,315,774 times
Quote:
You're sort of right. Now let me know how I find money for private school for two kids.

It looks like I am going to have to suck it up, like you said.

But at least, I reserve the liberty to say that wasting time with "comparing the lives and contributions of three American Indian cultures of the past and present, with emphasis on the Powhatan of the Eastern Woodlands, the Lakota of the Plains, and the Pueblo peoples of the Southwest" at the elementary school level is a MAJESTIC, nauseatingly PC waste of time.

Then no one should wonder why most products of the public school system come out so painfully mediocre.
Most children don't have parents who can suck up the cheesy PC nonsense of public schools AND do what really needs to be done at home.

Trust me, I WOULD put them in private if I could.
It's all about priorities. If private school were something you really wanted, you could make it happen. Honestly, if I had the level of your dissatisfaction (and I DID) I would look for the academic environment that I wanted and do whatever it took to put my kids there, be it live in an apartment, take out loans, seek scholarships, etc. If you're that unhappy with your public school, get out!

Old 04-13-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
It's all about priorities. If private school were something you really wanted, you could make it happen. Honestly, if I had the level of your dissatisfaction (and I DID) I would look for the academic environment that I wanted and do whatever it took to put my kids there, be it live in an apartment, take out loans, seek scholarships, etc. If you're that unhappy with your public school, get out!
I have to agree with you here.
We'll give it a shot come Fall (K) and if it really doesn't work out, I guess we will have to find a way.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
We'll give it a shot come Fall (K) and if it really doesn't work out, I guess we will have to find a way.
Give it an honest shot though...You're denouncing something before you've even had an experience with it. It's analogous to the child who hates tomatoes before he's even tasted one, because his sister thinks they're gross and he doesn't like the color red.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:55 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,233,844 times
Quote:
Depending on your area of the country, you may even have trouble finding private school that has anything resembling a classical education. There is a wide range of populations that private schools seek to serve. Around here, white flight leaves many public schools completely segregated by race, while the private schools may favor athletes who are less able to compete in public schools, families seeking a faith-based education, or yes, those seeking a classical education. This latter, by the way, is often the most expensive by far, but also more likely to offer scholarships. If you are interested in placement for this fall, you may have already missed the deadlines for scholarship, testing, and registration. I would get going if you want to have a chance to get in this coming year.

On the other hand, kindergarten is not quite as critical, notwithstanding the recent study, so you may want to wait and see if your particular public school will be a good match. You can spend another year saving money and investigating other schools. Your child's teacher may offer choice in assessments, so you may be able to have the best of both worlds.

Last edited by lhpartridge; 04-13-2011 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: correct spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education