Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 11:17 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,044,034 times

Advertisements

I know of a few schools who have "urban arts" classes where the kids learn hip-hop dancing, rapping, sound mixing/recording, and even do graffiti art... but they don't teach cursive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 08:17 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,573 times
Well, one thing I have thought about since learning that cursive writing will not be taught in school...

The kids who do not know how to write in cursive will also not know how to READ in cursive. So does this mean that if someone wants to communicate something in "code" all they have to do is write the note longhand... and our next generation will not know how to read it?

Sad sad thing. I have books and will teach my 6th grader to write. She seems to be able to pick it up very quickly and easily so that is a plus.

Just sad that it was not taught in schools. No wonder we are lagging behind 'third world countries".

I bet native asian exchange students will know how to read ENGLISH in cursive writing.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:01 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Just read a post from a teacher (in a different forum) that said she does'nt teach cursive anymore, how wide spread is this?
and on a funny note, when did we start calling it cursive? I remember it called handwriting and printing....
In second half of the 80's I was taught cursive and print, however, I vividly recall one of my teachers refusing to say "cursive" on grounds that it sounded like profanity. He instructed us that we were free to call it whatever we liked elsewhere, but that in his class we were to refer to "write" or "print" to distinguish between the two.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:29 AM

467 posts, read 712,948 times
...I'm 17, in my last year of high school. I will admit to having crappy print handwriting and even worse cursive or script handwriting. I'm known for my alphahieroglyphics, but honestly I convinced my instructors in elementary school to not continue to bring me aside to teach me script, because everything was going to be on the internet or typed via word processor. At age 10, I was a prophet.

What has annoyed me most is how everyone in here is freaking out about how people can't read important documents from long ago because they're in cursive. Are you unaware of a special search engine called google? Type in any important document that was once in cursive that you wish to read. It is not hard to find any important document if you try hard enough, and especially not one as important as the Declaration of Independence.

I've been on the computer since I was a year old and I type over 100 words per minute with my eyes closed. Print is easier for this generation because it is simply a more fundamental way of writing. Block style writing requires straight lines and a loop for some letters. Taking notes with print isn't a burden, it's easy if you can listen and write at the same time. In college, everyone has a laptop, and everyone will use them to take notes.

As technology evolves, handwriting will become even more obsolete than it already is today.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:37 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelsMatt View Post
...I'm 17, in my last year of high school. I will admit to having crappy print handwriting and even worse cursive or script handwriting. I'm known for my alphahieroglyphics, but honestly I convinced my instructors in elementary school to not continue to bring me aside to teach me script, because everything was going to be on the internet or typed via word processor. At age 10, I was a prophet.

What has annoyed me most is how everyone in here is freaking out about how people can't read important documents from long ago because they're in cursive. Are you unaware of a special search engine called google? Type in any important document that was once in cursive that you wish to read. It is not hard to find any important document if you try hard enough, and especially not one as important as the Declaration of Independence.

I've been on the computer since I was a year old and I type over 100 words per minute with my eyes closed. Print is easier for this generation because it is simply a more fundamental way of writing. Block style writing requires straight lines and a loop for some letters. Taking notes with print isn't a burden, it's easy if you can listen and write at the same time. In college, everyone has a laptop, and everyone will use them to take notes.

As technology evolves, handwriting will become even more obsolete than it already is today.
If you cannot write or read cursive then I probably would not hire you.

I don't necessarily want some kid pounding away on a keyboard as they take notes in an important meeting. I also need you to be able to read notes - taken in cursive - by your colleagues or by clients. Many of these individuals are over the age of 30 and did not get the memo that cursive is no longer required.

You might not think it is necessary or useful any more. But you are not the one doing the hiring. That is old fogeys like me.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:22 PM

973 posts, read 1,704,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post

I don't necessarily want some kid pounding away on a keyboard as they take notes in an important meeting. I also need you to be able to read notes - taken in cursive - by your colleagues or by clients. Many of these individuals are over the age of 30 and did not get the memo that cursive is no longer required.

You might not think it is necessary or useful any more. But you are not the one doing the hiring. That is old fogeys like me.

I agree with you totally, but we "old fogeys" won't be running the show much longer!

Old 10-14-2011, 03:27 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
If you can't read except for block letters, I hope you never get into the hobby of genealogy. The letter your gt gt gt grandfather wrote to your gt gt gt grandmother is NOT translated by google.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:27 PM

973 posts, read 1,704,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelsMatt View Post

It is more than this; you get a "feeling" for the person and the times/era/event when it is recorded in handwriting, and that adds to any message. Plus, the eye-hand-brain coordination helps in remembering the things being written; keyboarding does not.

And what is really a shame, it that you do not know how to read loving letters from grandparents and great-grandparents or what they may have written in their youth that tells a story of your family's history. Technology is not always better....

Last edited by Sagitarrius48; 10-14-2011 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: added another thought....

Old 10-14-2011, 03:50 PM

488 posts, read 554,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
That's just... weird. I can read it and I can write it well, but in my life I cannot recall any time when either skill was necessary or useful. The ability to accurately type upwards of 100 wpm is far more useful than the ability to write cursive, imo. Get with the times, you old farts

Old 10-14-2011, 04:56 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill80 View Post
That's just... weird. I can read it and I can write it well, but in my life I cannot recall any time when either skill was necessary or useful. The ability to accurately type upwards of 100 wpm is far more useful than the ability to write cursive, imo. Get with the times, you old farts
Probably true if you want to be a secretary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education