Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 06:36 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times

Advertisements

My son was not taught cursive. This was a shock to me and spoke to the teachers about it when he was in elementary (he is now in high school). I was told they don't teach it anymore because when he gets older all teachers will require papers to be typed. I taught him myself because after all he needs to learn how to sign his name. It was a separate subject in school when I was a kid and if you didn't get your letters just so, you were marked down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 07:41 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I agree. We teach our kids word processing and keyboarding at home because they are not getting it at school, yet more and more things are being done on computers at school. There just hasn't been enough time in the school day/year to squeeze in keyboarding and word processing. Teaching your kids how to format their documents is also very important. When I volunteer during writing or testing times that seems to be the biggest frustration - kids need so much help simply with the editing and formatting, saving and backing-up of their work. Plus most of them have not been taught proper keyboarding so they slowly pick away with just two fingers which takes forever.
Our schools DO teach keyboarding in middle school. They do it with the home row keys, something to black out the keyboard to test proficiency, etc. There's also a class that teaches word, excel, proper formatting, etc. etc. They also build things like how to create a resume and research into this class. The kids learn how to do a power point in 4th or 5th grade.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:49 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,701 times
Our district teaches both beginning in elementary school. As I stated earlier, I'm a big fan of script because I have two left-handed children who routinely flip letters when printing. Keyboarding is great, but it's not a truly effective replacement for hand-writing, especially for note-taking in a lecture setting.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 08-24-2011 at 08:18 AM..

Old 08-24-2011, 04:45 PM

973 posts, read 1,704,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
But why do I need it? It doesn't do anything for me.

mod cut - removed sarcastic comment and orphaned retort The GMATs (which I took most recently) just switched to all computerized tests a few years ago. I assumed everything did. This was my mistake.

I am not 'proud of not reading cursive'. I just don't get why it is important.

Again - what is the point of cursive? Why would we spend valuable time in schools teaching students something that adds nothing to their lives? Let's teach more math instead of cursive so we can actually have a shot of keeping up with the rest of the world with scientific and technological developments.
This really is almost a generational opinion, and youth just does not see the value of it. Go back to my post and look at the Washington Post article that tells WHY it is valuable. And as far as the rest of the world and technology....besides the Asian countries, do you know what countries would be more advanced in the technological field than we are???? Not too many. I know S Korea is going totally paperless as far as books and writing, and that may be the wave of the future, but to me it may not be the best way.... esp. for American students as we are not a driven to learn and be educated as they are.

I am over discussing this with you as you just cannot see what I am saying. I just feel sorry for you that you cannot see the benefits of knowing cursive....not only writing it but at least being able to read it.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:50 PM

973 posts, read 1,704,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
My son was not taught cursive. This was a shock to me and spoke to the teachers about it when he was in elementary (he is now in high school). I was told they don't teach it anymore because when he gets older all teachers will require papers to be typed. I taught him myself because after all he needs to learn how to sign his name. It was a separate subject in school when I was a kid and if you didn't get your letters just so, you were marked down!

And to me this is so sad, esp the teacher's attitude. BUT as I had said before, this is definitely a generational thing, I do believe. I am glad I will be dead, to be honest, as that is the wave of the future. And this id jsut part of technology that is going to de-humanize us even more.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:49 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanwoman54 View Post
And to me this is so sad, esp the teacher's attitude. BUT as I had said before, this is definitely a generational thing, I do believe. I am glad I will be dead, to be honest, as that is the wave of the future. And this id jsut part of technology that is going to de-humanize us even more.
I can write anything in cursive but I never use it, it is sloppier and slower for me, and it has nothing to do with being civil, civilized or human. I am not saying I am any better than those who write only in cursive, but it is not practical for myself and others and I have never been chewed for my lack of writing in cursive.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:06 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Again - what is the point of cursive? Why would we spend valuable time in schools teaching students something that adds nothing to their lives?
Personally, I think that being able to write beautifully adds a great deal to my life, and the life of people who read my letters.

You may not appreciate the esoteric value, but many people do. I'm sure there are people out there who thought Da Vinci and Michelangeo were wasting their time too.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-26-2011, 05:45 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Personally, I think that being able to write beautifully adds a great deal to my life, and the life of people who read my letters.

You may not appreciate the esoteric value, but many people do. I'm sure there are people out there who thought Da Vinci and Michelangeo were wasting their time too.

20yrsinBranson
I don't think a 4th grader writing cursive and the Ceiling of the Sistine chapel are exactly the same things.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:00 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
I don't think a 4th grader writing cursive and the Ceiling of the Sistine chapel are exactly the same things.
A good commentary on the dearth of both cursive instruction and art programs.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:10 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,345,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I'm sure there are people out there who thought Da Vinci and Michelangeo were wasting their time too.
Da Vinci wrote in cursive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education