Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 03:09 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,458,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
That is not a good argument for not teaching it, however.
I'm not arguing for not teaching it. I'm simply pointing out that maybe equating it with "being civilized" is just a tad bit on the extreme side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanwoman54 View Post
I don't think that they do. Printing is fine as most of my students have done it that way.
In college, often we don't even print papers. We just submit them electronically through BlackBoard. It saves paper, helps keep the professor more organized, and makes it easier to change the formatting if need be.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:17 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,213,961 times
I was giving my 3-5 th graders cursive sheets and was told it was NOT part of the NC curriculum after 2nd grade. I tried to get by with teaching it saying it was part of fine motor skills practice for my EC students...

Old 08-21-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
My son is in ninth grade and learned cursive sometime in elementary school, I think around third grade.

I learned it around the same age but my handwriting isn't very good. It was always fatser for me to take notes while printing rather than cursive.

I once had an office job in which I had to hand write a check out every day for some sort of intercompany money transfer. My boss would then sign it so I could send it to the banks. For the first couple of weeks my boss would complain about how hard it was to read my writing and that the bank wouldn't take it. (Never had one rejected).

So one day I wrote out the name of the company, amount of check, etc. in print. I walked in and put it on his desk without saying a word and quickly walked out. A few seconds later he came out with a big smile on his face and loudly said that was great and was to write out all future checks in that form.

Cursive was always a big pain so I was happy to comply.
I'm the same way. My cursive is awful but I can write very neat block letters so I write that way when I have to print on paper. Luckily it's not very often, but to write checks and so on that's how I write them. So far I haven't had any problems.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:50 PM

973 posts, read 1,704,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
In college, often we don't even print papers. We just submit them electronically through BlackBoard. It saves paper, helps keep the professor more organized, and makes it easier to change the formatting if need be.
But I was talking about the SAT essay! I know all about submitting papers online and/or computer generated as that is the easiest way to grade, sorta as I need a HARD copy to grade...and THAT is why I am glad I will no longer be grading after 297 more days , for I REFUSE to grade electronic essays.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I was giving my 3-5 th graders cursive sheets and was told it was NOT part of the NC curriculum after 2nd grade. I tried to get by with teaching it saying it was part of fine motor skills practice for my EC students...
I concur....it does that and SO much more....

Old 08-21-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Thank you cards- My ex wrote those. Her handwriting was much better than mine ever was. I did write one after a job interview.

Love Letters- Never wrote those

Sympathy Cards- Very rarely send those, much less write in them.

Hmmm...you know I teach my students how to write thank-you and sympathy notes and love letters. To me, these are still life skills. I can see where a man would turn over to his wife writing the notes, but I do think you need to get a love letter "under your belt" at some point in time!!!

Old 08-21-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanwoman54 View Post
Hmmm...you know I teach my students how to write thank-you and sympathy notes and love letters. To me, these are still life skills. I can see where a man would turn over to his wife writing the notes, but I do think you need to get a love letter "under your belt" at some point in time!!!
I don't understand how this is related to writing in cursive. Why do you need to know cursive to write a thank you note or a love letter?

Old 08-21-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I don't understand how this is related to writing in cursive. Why do you need to know cursive to write a thank you note or a love letter?
Well, my students don't have to write those in cursive, but we do look at some of the great love letters written, and they are in cursive. All I am saying is that when something is written in cursive (if it is legible!), the message gives off a different "feel" to the reader. The medium DOES help to make the message. There are not grammar rules for this; it is just like what others have said, it is more "civil" perhaps because going back in history, that is how the monks sorta wrote and then educated masses. Does that make sense? And did you read what I had written about my students and their pen-pals? When people see real handwriting, they get a glimpse into that person's personality-a "feel" for that person....and that adds so much more to the missive. Can you see my point, maybe??

Old 08-21-2011, 08:02 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,233,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
This is what makes me so angry. As long as you are covering the required curriculum, what is the problem if you go beyond it? Do the parents mind? Or just the administrators? And what if your students transfer to schools where they still expect students to write in cursive? What then?

Which begs the question--is cursive on the new national standards? Anyone know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education