Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 04:27 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,414,048 times

Advertisements

Here we go again!

Just when I thought all the foo foo was gone from education, we get hit with another "project". My dd is in 9th grade, I would think its time to actually learn something, rather than play dress up. For her history class, she's supposed to dress up like a character, and ---you guessed it---make a story board out of posters!

Ok, when do they ever start to actually write reports, instead of play with glue sticks? whatever......But my main gripe is....

the expense! come on teachers, are you in the 1%? Look, "just dress up " isn't free. Oh, I know, don't buy anything, just use what you have. Well, sorry, I don't happen to have anything that looks like Queen Elizabeth. Oh, go to thrift stores,etc. Look, stuff there isn't free, either. Did they really have to hit us with an added expense right before the holidays? Look, we are shopping thrift stores, garage sales, etc, for ourselves, and its tight at that.

Dear Teachers, how long have you known about this project? Probably since last summer. That's when you attend those planning sessions you gripe about so much. You seem to think you're supposed to get paid more than the parents, but get the full summer vacation like the kids. Ok, so, you more than likely knew about this "fun" project way back before school started. so, you decide to let the parents in on the deal right as the holidays heat up. That's all we need, another expense at the most expensive time of year. Since you all think its so easy, and affordable, why don't YOU supply the materials? Some schools keep a locker of sorts with various costume items kids can use. of course, then there's the problem of everyone not having equal access, etc.

We've done such dressup assignments before, it always costs way more than it should. Almost as a joke, I told my dd and her friends, just wear your regular clothes, and hang a poster around your neck that says your character, like Queen Mary, or whatever. hey, look, a poster board cost $3-$5, unless you happen to have one laying around. Then, markers, some glitter, etc, that cheap poster could easily cost $10, and that's not what the teacher is expecting. I think I started something, many are planning to just wear the poster, to #ell with all the foo foo to impress the teacher. concentrate on the research, the oral and written part, but draw the line at dressing up like the character.

Look, teachers, WAKE UP! This is about the worse recession since the Great Depression. Many are out of work, those that are employed have taken pay cuts, etc. My dh and I both work 2 jobs each just to meet the basics, and, ocassionally, something nice for ourselves. Holidays are a time for families to celebrate themselves, and their friends. At least try to schedule your "impress the teacher' projects at another time of the school year that's not so financially stressful.

Yes, I suppose we could come up with something, for my dd's grade's sake. I guess I will take back the Estee de lauder makeup set I bought for myself. that's right, I spent $75 on makeup for myself. I haven't bought myself anything in over 2 years, I thought I could get away with one little luxury. but no, guess we have to feed the insatiable "impress the teacher" machine.

Oh, BTW, the kiss-the-teachers-butt Christmas gift is OUT this year, her gift is her paycheck, funded by MY tax dollars, to teach my kids to make posters. guess they have a real skill, can make posters such as

WILL WORK FOR FOOD
Oh, and you could have given us a bit more time, rather than throw such projects at us the week before Thanksgiving, due date after Thanksgiving. Now, see, isn't that sweet? the teachers thought of us, to give us a nifty project to do over the holiday, instead of sitting around all bored. What a lovely thought!

Oh, BTW, it doesn't have to be an actual character, it can represent a trend, or an idea, like, a 60's mini skirt, etc. I have an idea, have dd go as a 99%---just wear what she always does, lets see if teacher gets it!

Last edited by MaryleeII; 11-17-2011 at 04:56 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 07:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
I was actually agreeing with you, I really truly was, until I got to the 75 bucks for Estee Lauder. My big treat is a new lipstick from the Cover Girl rack at Target. I also NEVER felt I had to kiss a teacher's butt with a present. What? I'd love to hear a further explanation of why that is necessary.

p.s. Free advice for the future. Make friends with someone in the SCA. (Google it.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-17-2011 at 07:16 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 07:52 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,933,785 times
I'm with you all the way. However, your whole post was a hoot.

Reps to you for a great reality TV scenerio. I've got a feeling when your little project is over, it's not really over.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:08 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
I would be interested to know the OP school SES. When I taught school in a poor area, I never expected anything from home. Or any type of parent involvement. Most parents were single, working two or three jobs. I kept school projects spending to an minimum. Or nothing.

But my kids went to school in one of the best areas of our town, and routinely had assignments to go see plays, attend the symphony, and I paid, realizing that I would have never given my students an assignment like that.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I was actually agreeing with you, I really truly was, until I got to the 75 bucks for Estee Lauder. My big treat is a new lipstick from the Cover Girl rack at Target. I also NEVER felt I had to kiss a teacher's butt with a present. What? I'd love to hear a further explanation of why that is necessary.

p.s. Free advice for the future. Make friends with someone in the SCA. (Google it.)

That's right $75 for Estee de Lauder! Like I said, I haven't bought myself anything for the past 2 years. I make about 1/3 the income here, I wanted it, I bought it. Guess it would be ok for me to spend $75 on school projects, (before you go off at me about how school projects don't cost $75, I said rojects, as in the plural, that foo foo adds up), ok to spend it on foo foo, teacher gifts, etc, etc, well, this time I wanted something and I got it! merry Christmas to me!

BTW, Estee de lLauder is having a great GWP, I got a ton of makeup, enough to last a year, the times I weat makeup! Like I said, I WANTED it!

Old 11-17-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I would be interested to know the OP school SES. When I taught school in a poor area, I never expected anything from home. Or any type of parent involvement. Most parents were single, working two or three jobs. I kept school projects spending to an minimum. Or nothing.

But my kids went to school in one of the best areas of our town, and routinely had assignments to go see plays, attend the symphony, and I paid, realizing that I would have never given my students an assignment like that.

Ok, see, this is my gripe---don't assume all students have the means to do such things. We are financially holding in there, even have enough for a bi-annual Estee de lauder! But, many kids simply don't have such money. Then they keep telling the kids to "use their imagination". Well, what are they supposed to do, imagine money? If its all something one can "imagine' then why don't teachers use their "imagination" and dream up a project that can be done in class, using minimal materials?

What annoys me the most is the time frame they give---this is about the 4th time (and 3rd school district), where projects have been assigned over the Thanksgiving break. They assign a project that would take a month to do right, then assign it about a week before Thanksgiving, and assume the kids can use Thanksgiving break to complete it. Then, I have to hear teachers gripe about how many papers they had to grade on "their" holiday. Hey, look, that's how they assigned things. But thanksgiving break is a holiday, for family, close friends, etc. It is NOT time to assign school projects!

Old 11-17-2011, 08:26 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
But thanksgiving break is a holiday, for family, close friends, etc. It is NOT time to assign school projects!
I agree. I really don't like to assign homework at all. I don't assign homework over a weekend (although sometimes I'll have something due sometime during the next week that could be worked on over a weekend). I definitely won't assign homework over a holiday.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:23 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Here we go again!

Just when I thought all the foo foo was gone from education, we get hit with another "project". My dd is in 9th grade, I would think its time to actually learn something, rather than play dress up. For her history class, she's supposed to dress up like a character, and ---you guessed it---make a story board out of posters!

Ok, when do they ever start to actually write reports, instead of play with glue sticks? whatever......But my main gripe is....

the expense! come on teachers, are you in the 1%? Look, "just dress up " isn't free. Oh, I know, don't buy anything, just use what you have. Well, sorry, I don't happen to have anything that looks like Queen Elizabeth. Oh, go to thrift stores,etc. Look, stuff there isn't free, either. Did they really have to hit us with an added expense right before the holidays? Look, we are shopping thrift stores, garage sales, etc, for ourselves, and its tight at that.

Dear Teachers, how long have you known about this project? Probably since last summer. That's when you attend those planning sessions you gripe about so much. You seem to think you're supposed to get paid more than the parents, but get the full summer vacation like the kids. Ok, so, you more than likely knew about this "fun" project way back before school started. so, you decide to let the parents in on the deal right as the holidays heat up. That's all we need, another expense at the most expensive time of year. Since you all think its so easy, and affordable, why don't YOU supply the materials? Some schools keep a locker of sorts with various costume items kids can use. of course, then there's the problem of everyone not having equal access, etc.

We've done such dressup assignments before, it always costs way more than it should. Almost as a joke, I told my dd and her friends, just wear your regular clothes, and hang a poster around your neck that says your character, like Queen Mary, or whatever. hey, look, a poster board cost $3-$5, unless you happen to have one laying around. Then, markers, some glitter, etc, that cheap poster could easily cost $10, and that's not what the teacher is expecting. I think I started something, many are planning to just wear the poster, to #ell with all the foo foo to impress the teacher. concentrate on the research, the oral and written part, but draw the line at dressing up like the character.

Look, teachers, WAKE UP! This is about the worse recession since the Great Depression. Many are out of work, those that are employed have taken pay cuts, etc. My dh and I both work 2 jobs each just to meet the basics, and, ocassionally, something nice for ourselves. Holidays are a time for families to celebrate themselves, and their friends. At least try to schedule your "impress the teacher' projects at another time of the school year that's not so financially stressful.

Yes, I suppose we could come up with something, for my dd's grade's sake. I guess I will take back the Estee de lauder makeup set I bought for myself. that's right, I spent $75 on makeup for myself. I haven't bought myself anything in over 2 years, I thought I could get away with one little luxury. but no, guess we have to feed the insatiable "impress the teacher" machine.

Oh, BTW, the kiss-the-teachers-butt Christmas gift is OUT this year, her gift is her paycheck, funded by MY tax dollars, to teach my kids to make posters. guess they have a real skill, can make posters such as

WILL WORK FOR FOOD
Oh, and you could have given us a bit more time, rather than throw such projects at us the week before Thanksgiving, due date after Thanksgiving. Now, see, isn't that sweet? the teachers thought of us, to give us a nifty project to do over the holiday, instead of sitting around all bored. What a lovely thought!

Oh, BTW, it doesn't have to be an actual character, it can represent a trend, or an idea, like, a 60's mini skirt, etc. I have an idea, have dd go as a 99%---just wear what she always does, lets see if teacher gets it!
Tell me again why you don't homeschool?

Old 11-18-2011, 08:00 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
I think projects like this are the ones that kids remember the best. Queen Elizabeth? https://www.google.com/search?q=Quee...nvN6bk0QHRiKU1 Just get a long dress and a hat or a princess tiara. I know that our Sal Val has half price Tuesday's where you could easily pick up a long dress for less then $5. One of the most enjoyable days at our middle school is immigration day when each child is assigned a persona that they have to research and then dress up as.

Teachers have to teach to all the learning styles of their students and parents complain if the particular assignment doesn't suit their child's learning style. While this one may not suit you, I don't really think it has to be expensive and I have a hunch that unless you tell your child how stupid it is, she may actually enjoy it.

I remember a teacher my daughter had for world cultures in HS and he would give extra points for glitter on assigned posters. Not that he would say it, but glitter posters always seemed to get higher grades. My daughter and her friends would laugh about it, I would grumble about glitter on the floor and then we would both be happy enough with the good grade. Along the way, she would learn about the actual assignment....

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:02 AM

48 posts, read 84,420 times
My DD would be excited about a project like that. If all we had time and money to do is a "theme", she would cut a crown out of cardboard, glue foil or paint it with metallic gold paint, throw some mardi gras beads around her neck, and be done with the costume. She would draw out the storyboard on white paper while I looked for alternatives to a $5 display board. A large cardboard box from Wal-Mart would probably work. Sure, the project is a bit on the foofy side, but it would be a very welcome break from the usual essays, powerpoint slideshows, worksheets, and review packets.

If you can't afford the time and expense right now, I'm sure the teacher would respond professionally if you emailed her and asked for no-cost suggestions that your DD could do to fulfill on her own with limited cash (you're still going to have to supply a few sheets of white paper, a few markers, and glue at the very least). If your DD takes art or drama, those teachers may have suggestions for no or very low cost costumes or theme items, too.

Teachers are aware that a lot of people have taken major cuts in pay and are barely making ends meet right now. Our district has had a pay freeze for three years despite having employee healthcare premiums doubled. Your DD's teacher would probably be happy to help your DD come up with solutions.

Last edited by jenshoes; 11-18-2011 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education