Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 06:36 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You have no idea about the world that I am from. One thing is for sure, people in my world, many of whom have much, much less than you, are very grateful that their children are getting an education. They do everything in their power to encourage it and work with the teachers, never thinking to whine and gripe endlessly and nit-pick about every little inconsequential thing.

How do you know what world I'm from? Guess its the world of Estee Lauder!

Old 11-19-2011, 06:40 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
You're so right, its not just about the money, its about the timing. I'm sooooo sick of major projects being dumped on students right before major holidays, which are time and money constrained enough as it is.

Can't teachers do one simple thing? give enough time for projects, and quit cutting into time (and money) that belongs to the family?

Besides, when does the dressup crap end? My dd is in 9th grade, I thought that garbage went out with elementary school! Does it go on in college, too? Do they play dressup in China, India, Japan? ummmm....I wonder why USA always finished dead last in school performance for hard sciences, math, history, etc? Too busy playing to learn?
How much time do you need? Most projects, including dress up projects can be done with one trip to the store. You are making a huge deal out of something that is just not that big a deal.

Dress up projects are appropriate for high school. Especially for history. Dressing up makes the kids think about what it was like to live in a particular time period.

Your dd is in high school. Let her figure out what she needs. Other than giving her a ride why do you even need to be involved? My son (10th grade) just ordered the stuff for his science fair project. All he needed was a credit card to pay for the stuff he ordered. I didn't do anything other than pay.

Why are you so involved in this stuff?

Old 11-19-2011, 07:09 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
Not everyone is cut out to homeschool. And I think Marylee is one of those people. I don't think she has the patience to deal with her kids for a full day of homeschooling. That's not a slight on her, I wouldn't have the patience either.

Some folks can do it and some can't. I know a lady who homeschools her kids and spends maybe two hours tops teaching them before she is at her wits end and sends them off to watch tv and play video games for the rest of day to get them out of her hair.
If you "don't have the patience to homeschool" then you better support your teacher.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:12 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
So, if a parent has an issue with public schools, they should just shut up and homeschool? Ummm.....we pay taxes for public school, and we shouldn't use them? BTW, homeschooling is expensive, I know, I used to homeschool my son until we could get an appropriate special ed program set up for him. Books, supplies, etc, aren't free, nor are they provided by the public shcools if you withdraw to homeschool. I do "put my money where my mouth is" right where my tax dollars go!
Just because YOU don't have the money doesn't mean EVERYONE doesn't have the money. I'm sure there are kids and families who love those projects, and love to dress up. Why should those projects go away just because yo disagree with them? If *I* had as many issues with public schools as YOU do, I would do WHATEVER it took to homeschool. Life isn't supposed to be lived as constantly angry as you seem to.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:20 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,831,342 times
Closed for mod review.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:25 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
This thread will remain closed. I see no chance of an upward trend.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education