Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 07:22 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,356 times

Advertisements

I was at my daughters school today for a regularly scheduled volunteer day, which I have been doing pretty much since the second month of school. I had been surprised that I was not asked to do a background check and fingerprinting as I work with the kids and not always in the classroom. The secretary told me that they don't require it if you are not working one on one with the kids behind closed doors. I am concerned about this. They may have volunteers walking around with records and they don't seem to think this is a problem. I was like, yeah I do the reading program in the hallway and other adults do walk by from time to time, but what if I were one of "those" people? I could take one of the kids into the bathroom and no one would know Also, volunteers go on field trips, what's to say a sicko volunteer wouldn't take a kid somewhere private? We have lived in 4 states now and Arizona is the only state that has not required the fingerprinting and background checks. What is your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 07:24 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
No. They don't do background checks on volunteers here.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:47 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
My school distict (40K students) does 'quick' check on every person who goes past the front desks, in all schools. (ES/MS/HS). They scan the bar code on our state drivers licence, (Or type in the data) each time you go into the school. The scan checks a database of ????. If you clear that they give you a Paper Photo label badge, that will turn totaly black after about 8hours. They ask you to scan the barcode ont he paper badge when you leave the school. If you are with any students with out a staff member around you get a full backgroud check before you can interact with the students with out a staff member around.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:03 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,434 times
Our school district requires everyone who volunteers to have criminal background checks, clearances and fingerprinting done. This is required for everyone whether you are within direct contact or not , with the kids.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:16 PM

178 posts, read 332,231 times
My children's school requires fingerprinting to volunteer or chaperone on fieldtrips.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:11 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
I was at my daughters school today for a regularly scheduled volunteer day, which I have been doing pretty much since the second month of school. I had been surprised that I was not asked to do a background check and fingerprinting as I work with the kids and not always in the classroom. The secretary told me that they don't require it if you are not working one on one with the kids behind closed doors. I am concerned about this. They may have volunteers walking around with records and they don't seem to think this is a problem. I was like, yeah I do the reading program in the hallway and other adults do walk by from time to time, but what if I were one of "those" people? I could take one of the kids into the bathroom and no one would know Also, volunteers go on field trips, what's to say a sicko volunteer wouldn't take a kid somewhere private? We have lived in 4 states now and Arizona is the only state that has not required the fingerprinting and background checks. What is your opinion?
Our district does background checks on volunteers. So does the private school that my kids attend. I would think that all adults in a school on a regular basis would need background checks.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:13 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,032 times
They do. I am a volunteer who passed a background check many times for several jobs including teaching. My husband applied to volunteer in the school where he could maybe tutor or work for the PTA, etc. He was rejected due to the fact that he had a DWI over ten years ago!!! No record at all since. How this is related to tutoring kids or volunteering at the Fall Fair is beyond me. This is an urban district that has huge problems getting volunteers-especially dads. So they definitely do a background check.

He'd love to volunteer for Boy Scouts as well but we are afraid to pursue it.

And I'm not sure any volunteer should be "behind closed doors" as someone mentioned at any time regardless of whether or not they passed a background check. I certainly wouldn't allow myself to be put in that position as a volunteer.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:56 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Our school district requires everyone who volunteers to have criminal background checks, clearances and fingerprinting done. This is required for everyone whether you are within direct contact or not , with the kids.
Same with ours.
And this is nothing new.... I had to get clearance when I started volunteering back in 1992.
I was then in the library for 18 years!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:36 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
They do. I am a volunteer who passed a background check many times for several jobs including teaching. My husband applied to volunteer in the school where he could maybe tutor or work for the PTA, etc. He was rejected due to the fact that he had a DWI over ten years ago!!! No record at all since. How this is related to tutoring kids or volunteering at the Fall Fair is beyond me. This is an urban district that has huge problems getting volunteers-especially dads. So they definitely do a background check.

He'd love to volunteer for Boy Scouts as well but we are afraid to pursue it.

And I'm not sure any volunteer should be "behind closed doors" as someone mentioned at any time regardless of whether or not they passed a background check. I certainly wouldn't allow myself to be put in that position as a volunteer.
Mine requires a background check as well, but I don't remember being fingerprinted.....maybe I was. What's ironic, is that they don't update it. You mentioned a DWI ten years ago. Well, we have parents that had previously been background checked.... but then caught with 60k worth of drugs...last MONTH, yet they can still volunteer with the kids.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:59 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
Our school district started doing background checks on all volunteers just within the last couple of years and there are different levels depending on much contact you have with the students. I believe it has to be done every year. Getting volunteers is not a problem in our district. All schools are locked and one must be buzzed in. Once inside you have to hand over your car keys for a visitor pass. Our schools are mostly rural so driving (and having keys) is generally a given for all adults. I don't know what they take if you don't have keys!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-30-2011 at 08:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education