Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 11:29 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times

Advertisements

***This thread is a split from the Parenting forum on this topic***

The question of background checks came up in the original thread. I don't know if this is standard but in my area ALL parent volunteers must have a background check prior to any situation where they would be inside the school during the school day or chaperoning fieldtrips. The background checks are done by the local police department and include fingerprinting. So, every parent, whether they are putting books away in the library, doing flash cards or reading with a child or small group of children or giving a speech or demonstration in a classroom must have pre-approval.

Parents who want to volunteer fill out a detailed form and are fingerprinted at the local police station. The list of approved volunteers is then sent to the school. It is updated yearly (but parents only have to be fingerprinted once).

Of course, all teachers and staff members have extremely extensive background checks and are fingerprinted as well.

It is reassuring to parents to know that this is done.

Last edited by Jaded; 07-20-2013 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: Added split explanation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 11:33 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
No background checks at our schools for volunteering on school property, but one-on-one is not allowed. And no problems that I am aware of.

Chaperones for field trips do have background checks.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:24 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Around here parents who can volunteer during school hours might chaperone on field trips. They are not typically allowed to volunteer beyond that in their own child's classroom. They must pay for and pass the same background check as any school employee (and I think that is a vitally important item all schools should do).

There were more outside of school hours volunteer thing. Fairs, dinners, auctions, extracurricular events, etc.
What constitutes passing a background check?

Old 07-20-2013, 04:45 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times
I would imagine a felony would put you in the "thanks anyway" pile for volunteering, drug convictions, violence of some sort or another...and the obvious, any kind of crime involving a child. I am sure the schools that require background checks also have a list of crimes that would block you from being able to volunteer or work at the school.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
I would imagine a felony would put you in the "thanks anyway" pile for volunteering, drug convictions, violence of some sort or another...and the obvious, any kind of crime involving a child. I am sure the schools that require background checks also have a list of crimes that would block you from being able to volunteer or work at the school.
Interesting, I'm wondering if a decades old pot conviction for example would keep out a very good prospective parent volunteer. (No I don't have one ).

Of course, most of the people who actually molest children do it in the utmost secrecy and are never caught, so I'm not sure background checks do anything but invade people's privacy while at the same time provide a dangerous false sense of security.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:08 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
What constitutes passing a background check?
There is a company that fingerprints people and makes sure they have no criminal background.

Everything from perjury to drugs. The one that parents mostly get disqualified for is DUI, at least around here.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
There is a company that fingerprints people and makes sure they have no criminal background.

Everything from perjury to drugs.
Perjury?

And what if they do, what are the procedures for privacy and whatnot? Are they still allowed on the school property?

Old 07-20-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Interesting, I'm wondering if a decades old pot conviction for example would keep out a very good prospective parent volunteer. (No I don't have one )
I hope so.

If a parent has any sort of drug conviction there is no need for them to be volunteering in the school. There are plenty of opportunities to volunteer outside the classroom for people who have old drug convictions.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus
Interesting, I'm wondering if a decades old pot conviction for example would keep out a very good prospective parent volunteer. (No I don't have one )
Quote:
I hope so.

If a parent has any sort of drug conviction there is no need for them to be volunteering in the school. There are plenty of opportunities to volunteer outside the classroom for people who have old drug convictions.
Why, what is it you think they're going to do?

Old 07-20-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Perjury?

And what if they do, what are the procedures for privacy and whatnot? Are they still allowed on the school property?
Yes, they are allowed on school property. They are not allowed to act as classroom volunteers.

What do you mean privacy? If a parent CHOOSES to volunteer, than they are given the criteria for which their background is going to be checked. At that point if they do not want the principal or secretary or whoever manages the volunteer to know the results of the background check they can choose not to be checked and therefore not to be a classroom volunteer.

And yes, perjury is a criminal offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education